Extreme 4-Way Sli Tuning

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by A M D BugBear, Mar 10, 2019.

1. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    You could be kinder,
    he's really worked hard on this -and speaking from someone that actually got 4 way sli working on pascal- it is quite feasible to get amazing performance if you set it up correctly.

2. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Just got to have a very strong passion for computers in general, Loved computers ever since the Vintage Apple II/e computer, the ONLY REAL Apple computer and my personal favorite, and pretty much owned every game console known to man, including the Neo-Geo(Cartridge unit)/Turbo Duo(Pc-engine in japan) & and the 3DO system to name a few, so I basically seen it all, And was very heavy into Apple II programming, had stacks of books like you could't imagine, so have to have a very strong desire/passion into this, this is not for everyone, God no.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You really could have a point instead of projecting your personal issues on me.

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Or, we could all just not post if we have nothing nice to say. Back on 4 way sli topic!

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    YAKUZA KIWAMI 2 - 4-WAY SLI - UPDATE - 10/8/19:

Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits, Sli Specific Hack Bits (DX1x) & Unknown PREDEFINED nvidia settings are all fine tuned and complete, Now working on Finishing up Sli Broadcast Bits, Final Conclusion to this game should be up, hoping by Wednesday, be sure to look for it.

Also, I have not cleared 100% of the Scaling drag issue, I am still focusing on minimizing the fps Drops during these scaling drag issues, only happens on Very minute Specific spots only, I did however managed to bring the overall fps by a notch however...

So Be sure to look for complete performance run down, hoping in few days time...

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Are you suggesting I leave the forum? I have no idea why you addressed me personally. I don't like your negative inference. Not at all. You're blaming me for someone else reading something into my post that was not there. You should address that with them, not me. Holy cow.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Apparently some feel I was attacking you or what you are doing. Anything remotely resembling annoyance was several games at the time being rather terrible with the tech. I have zero against experimentation and was actually wondering if you had done any testing with different SLI + PhysX tests. Maybe I need to use more smiley faces or use more flowerly language...sheesh.

8. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Don't worry about it. Wether I get + or - feedbacks on this, all good and really could careless what others think, no disrespect or anything. Just doing this for everyone in the community thats interested..

Believe me, if I was viewing the forums in general, nothing will interest me more then someone is trying to get 4-way to work, especially with games.

9. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    While maybe not as relevant data compared to all the hard work you're doing, did you set the 4-way forced ALL cards ON setting in INSPECTOR that brings the cards all on for bench marking?
    This setting in combination with the per game profile can help significantly. Just trying to help.

the settings are:

https://i.**********/8CW0p5wL/4-way-sli.jpg

Unfortunately my 4 way experience is from forcing 4 way sli in the 4 way denied world of Pascal.
    Now I use these setting for 4 way sli for my titan v rig with auto diff.
    these two inspector registers also helped me get rid of the microstutter in several games.
    I was using them so much I put them in my base profile.

also in 4 way the compatibility bits need to end in xxxxxxx5 (in my case)
    such as 0x00000005 is 4-way, 0x00000006 is 3-way, 0x00000001 is 2-way etc

I'm sure this is old news to you, but thought I'd throw in a few things I use.There are many more of course.

J

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  10. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I don't have 0x2014CC70 under unknown PREDEFINED nvidia settings, I got the other one you mentioned though.

This next part I am going to mention does NOT work but I have looked up for references.

When reading on other sites, I learned 2 of these PREDEFINED settings will help scale:

0x008D624B (1 Profiles)

&

0x008D624E (1 Profiles)

Now with my own personal experiences messing with 2 of these, if you SET it to: 0x00000001 (Nvidia Share), All 4 gpu's will be @ 99-100% Gpu usage @ all times, but in return, a massive drop in fps, prettie much 1 Gpu mode, so again like I was mentioning before, never go by that darn Gpu Usage, it means absolutely nothing, especially when your doing something like 4-way.

I don't know how other gpu's will react with these particular settings, but this only applies to Gtx 970's far's I understand.

For Instance, In Yakuza Kiwami 2:

SLI Broadcast bits:

If I set it to: 0x00000001 DYNAMIC_BROADCAST_RENDER_TO_TEXTURE - Use broadcast to render interframe depandent content.

It will make all gpu's like 100% Gpu usage, very abnormal Gpu Bus Usage reactions or High %(Usually means Alot of instability/warning sign from my own experiences).

When I saw this happen with Yakuza 2, I quickly got off the game.

In some games, it will help trigger Sli, but in this game, the other way around, Always closely monitor your fps from 1 gpu, all the way to 4 gpu's, this is the only way to get a base line of your actual fps before going any higher then 1 gpu mode.

From what I have seen, If the Gpu Bus Usage is kinda high, normally when the game is loading, that is fine, when your on the game, mine is usually set to 0%-1%(4k gaming), sometimes If doing lower resolution then 4k, it may be higher, but usually its around 0%-1%.

Speaking about Yakuza 2, be careful tuning that Sli Broadcast bits: 0x0000000<<~~ this one, from what I understand, only the digit 1 will cause this, very similar to that of Nvidia Share's reaction under the PREDEFINED settings.

Working with PREDEFINED nvidia settings may or may not help at all, yes it will help boost your overall performance by a notch or two or help eliminate some scaling drag/performance drops in some games, also speaking of which wanted to announce this eariler:

From what I have learned thus far:

Working with Sli Specific hack bits and the Unknown PREDEFINED nvidia settings, one could cancel the other or something to that degree, for instance.

While Fine Tuning Yakuza 2: Under the Sli Specific hack bits:

0x000000<<~~ This one and mine is set to B.

Lets go back for a bit, remember when I said in that game I had some problems with those specific spots/scaling drag spots, will if I set this hex to B, when hitting this spot, I get an ABSOLUTE drag like you couldn't even imagine in the beginning, fps from 60 to like 12 or so, something like that, but, when walking back south(Doesn't effect that much at all with this one particular spot), then walking back north to this same spot where I had problems with, fps is like 55-56 or so).

So I wanted to keep this setting but at the same time, try to get rid of that initial drag, this only happens when you first load up the game and come across this one specific spot.

So what I did next, I was fine tuning the Unknown PREDEFINED nvidia settings, I came across this:

0x002533F7 (1 Profiles) Set to: 0x00000001 (Battlefield V)

I set it to this and guess what happens next??? You guessed it, I completely got rid of that Massive Scaling fps drop, and did some other changes within the Sli Specific hack bits and Sli Compatibility bits, at times, it will drop to 63 to around 53, sometimes, 63 to 55-56 or so, it changes back and forth.

I am also in process of Fine tuning the Sli Broadcast bits for that game now as we speak, No where being done, but found some stuff to help boost overall fps just a hair, game should be done in few days tops, hoping.

You see, alot of stuff I learned now, I never did back when I started this, so going to try more of my old games I originally tried, hell, lords of fallen was one and look out the outcome, pretty darn good in the end, although wasn't perfect but ALOT better then it was before, your not kiddin'.

And lastly, what your referring to about Sli Compatibility bits.

In some games, last 2 Digits, F6, usually works on my end and offers no extra performance gain, if so, you won't be able to notice it.

Also, The 7th hex to the last hex, Letter: F, From what I understand, you can use other digits besides F, I have tested this with Bright Memory and other games, it does work but offers no real differences in scaling. Doesn't have to be F, it can be 2 and still will act the same as F, so I normally have it on F on my end, again, for fine tuning purposes only, even then, you won't notice a real big difference, absolutely not. maybe with other gpu's, but yes, be very careful fine tuning this particular hex, otherwise you will notice a major performance drop, only certain specific digits will work, all others will NOT, so please keep this in mind at all times.

Thanks for your reply and be sure to check future updates on this thread, many thanks for viewing to anyone who's interested or getting interested into this.

11. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    Very informative
    Thank you

I’m sure you’ve been there, the German 3D Center site is a veritable cornucopia of such detailed information

Maybe something gleam when trying to figure out the combination lock to the performance

12. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    No disrespect sir, That's the site where I look at the bits for reference, Been looking into this site for quite some time, basically its the first thing I look for reference is that site if I need to, but majority of the time, I don't look at anything really, Everything is done on my own time, including all the tuning, Discovery of certain things while tuning and other things, Everything you see that's on this thread, all the work, All on my own, there is other things that I didn't discover such as using shadow play while playing, in chance it may help with scaling, that part I found out several months ago but far as incorporating it with Hell Blade and to see if it does work, that part was done on my own and I think to best of my knowledge, I am the only one that discovered this to put Hell Blade to good use and 100% confirmation that it does in fact works, Whats even Extremely more surprising, The game kicks booty under 4-Way, thats the most impressive part, 4-way with Hell Blade, that speaks for itself already, All the games I have tried with Shadow play = DOES NOT WORK...

Far as drivers and such, Station-drivers .com is an excellent site.

Thanks for the heads up though, 3d center forums is one hell of a site, Great stuff up there.

13. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Wanted to revise my last post but created another post by accident but anyhow:

In regards about 3d center forums, the Sli Profiles that are up there:

Only going to help me so much as profile's won't work on my end, some of those profile's are tuned for 2080 cards, they will NOT work on mine, like mentioned way earlier, If you have profiles backed up, lets say for 1080ti cards, then next thing you try it on 2 970's, Already confirmed on my end, it will NOT WORK period, they have to be fine tuned from the ground up, especially 3-way or 4-way, more then likely custom made, they would have to be, confirmed it with some games on my end, I didn't test with them all, but more then likely 100% they will NOT WORK.

14. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Also Venturi, something I been looking into since last week...

I might get rid of my 4-way sli bridge connector that came with my mobo and going with 3 high quality flexible sli connectors.

Reason why I am doing this, is that, these vrm's on these cards, they can get brutally hot, even with 2 .53A 120mm scythe fans, 2 of them on the left side, hitting all 4 of the vrms, the 4-way sli bridge connector is blocking quite of bit of the air flow passage way, there is some exposure of the vrm heatsink, but looking into this for better cooling potential..

Not only that, I might looking into screwing down the 4th gpu only and leave the 1st 3 unscrewed down, and put spacers inbetween the cards so the vrms can have much superior cooling, similar to what I have done on the right side, so this is the main reason looking into flexible sli cable rather then hard.

Looking into this in the future. I already got thermal tape on back of the vrms and some copper shims for better cooling, the 1st card has copper heatsinks on top of the shims.

So yes, this 4-way bridge connector is in the way, even though it works perfectly, I want to have a better path way so the fans from my scythe can target the vrms/heatsink much more effectively.

Cooling these Vrm's in 4-Way mode to a T is a MUST, you MUST keep these cool at all times, so trying to create a better path way so they can be further be cooled down better, even though it has been fine all this time, I am doing it for basically safety reasons.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This thread man. 4 gpus in 2019? You must be the only guy on the internet still trying to run that.

16. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Fine by me, Just a project I always wanted to do. Coming along nicely, better then I originally hoped for, again, not only that, Its one a kind so it stands out like one sore thumb, but I ain't looking for attention, this is for people who's still interested or getting into this realm as a project, not only that, I wanted a major challenge and boy did I got it and then some, so for those who are getting interested in this, be fully aware what your getting into, again, thanks for the reply.

fantaskarsef and Undying like this.
  17. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    NIOH - 3-WAY SLI - UPDATE - 10/9/19:

Just heads up, I'll be back on this game once Yakuza 2 is all done.

Basically what needs to be done is the Crashing while playing, Overall game's stability needs to be further tuned.

Since this game has a 60 fps cap, No need for 4-way, already checked, 3-way is more then enough to run this game @ 4k(2400p)/Nioh Resolution mod.

Be sure to check out the final conclusion of this game hoping end of this week.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Wow you are really deep into this aren't you? Only thing I said is if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Just to note, this is was not just directed to you. So, no more talk of it.

19. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX

just trying to help:
    The flexy connectors do not have the steel shroud around the socket that closes the pins on the outer edge of the card. That clip signals the driver that its high bandwidth.
    The HB Bridge is simply the same as the regular but with those surrounds and steel clips.

On the pascal builds the lack of those connectors throws a 'low bandwidth bridge" notice on the nvidia control panel screen -same vignette where you see the 4 way sli bar (green) under the 4 video cards and the gray physix bar on top.

It was that debacle that got me looking into alternatives.
    I made a 4 way HB bridge with solid bridges and 8 sockets. I learned a thing or two about nvidia marketing, control and the dgx stations in the process.

20. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    not quite....

https://i.**********/j2CdqT9s/IMG-9880.jpg
    https://i.**********/52W1T8x9/IMG-2079.jpg
    https://i.**********/yxfj9mvm/IMG-2081.jpg

Asus c621e sage
    2x Xeon 8180M
    768GB of ram LRDIMM
    4x Titan V including Titan V CEO ed 32GB
    960pro nvme (OS)
    10x SSD Raid (4TB ea Samsung 860-Pro, 40TB)
    1600W PSU (digital) noiseless and 600W PSU(digital) assist
    MS 2019 Data Center, Ubuntu (no mitigation)
    P1 mini-ITX case
    Monitor - Aus PA32UCX (1000+ light-zones)
    its small, dense/compact, runs very cool and very very quiet

...nope been doing ONLY 4-way SLI since early 2000's

this station is not using an SLI bridge, enabled without it.

The prior build, now used by my wife, was a 4-way Titan XP build.

to get the best scaling there have been some challenges, such as 4 full 32x/16x slots per card (no 8x), enough cpu lanes, and many inspector moments.

But when you get 4 way figured out its pretty spectacular.
    Like the OP stated, even something like HellBlade running flawlessly at 4-way is awesome.

https://i.**********/GptWTFGd/IMG-9071.jpg

Undying likes this.