RTSS and NBA 2k20

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by tripatwhat, Oct 1, 2019.

1. tripatwhat

tripatwhat Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1050
    Hello,

this is a second year i am having problems with screen tear in online modes of NBA 2k. It started in 2k19 and continued in 2k20. I've tried literarlly every single suggestion i found on internet and nothing helped.

Then a user on nvidia forum suggested RTSS and i tried it, but so far no luck. So, maybe somebody can help me out figuring what i could be doing wrong.

Here's what i did so far:
    1) I turned off vsync in 2k and in nvidia cpanel

2) I added profile for 2k20 per instructions on this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/agvnj1/scanline_sync_in_the_latest_riva_tuner_is/. At this point i use single scanline sync, scanline sync is 0 and i turned on stealth mode.

3) I started the game. While it is starting fps goes over 100, but when i reach the main menu fps goes back to 60 fps and stays like this.

4) When i browse through the menu i can see screen tear a little bit above the middle of the screen. When i go to park (online mode), screen tear is bigger and it's also located in the middle of the screen. I can see it every time i move around.

5) Then i started to decrease scanline sync. On above mentioned link the guy said that for 1920x1080, -180 solved the problem, so i started to go slowly from 0 up to -180, but whatever i do screen tear stays at the same place. I went to -240, screen tear stayed where it was when scanline was 0. It looks like RTSS doesn't have any effect on it.

Does anybody have any idea what could i be doing wrong here?

It would be great if somebody can help me solving this.

Thanks

2. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Don't know the game and engine. Just a guess: Maybe the game limits to 60fps regardless of vsync on or off?
    So you would have to unlock those 60fps if possible or cap it to something lower than 60fps with rtss to avoid the engine capping.

3. tripatwhat

tripatwhat Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1050
    Well, when i play online mode, fps is not constantly 60fps. It does occasionally drop to 57, 58 or even to 30 fps in animations. Does this mean that the game does not limit to 60fps?

Btw. last year i was trying to lock fps, using nvidia profile manager, to for example 58 or 59, so lower than 60fps, but it didn't help. Tear was still there.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Frostbite, all EA first party studio's have to use it now.

5. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    limit = maximum, does not go higher but lower is possible.
    lock = fixated, not under not above.

6. tripatwhat

tripatwhat Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1050
    Ok, but 2k is not created by EA. NBA Live is created by EA.

7. tripatwhat

tripatwhat Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1050
    So, it's not locked, since it drops from time to time, but with RTSS it's 60 fps almost all the time.

Does anyone have any idea how RTSS does not affect the screen tear i have? It should move it off the screen right? At least that's what i read in the tutorial on this forum.

You are now mentioning fps locking to certain value, but in this tutorial it says that fps should be left at 0, so i am a bit confused now. Can you explain please?

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Why are you disabling vsync if you don't want tearing?

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    oh, duh, didn't even realise that lol.

tripatwhat likes this.
  10. tripatwhat

tripatwhat Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1050
    Vsync in game was on by default, but screen tear was there. I then tried with vsync on, in nvidia cpanel, this didn't help either. Then i tried at least 10 other suggestions to solve the issue, which didn't help. Then a user on nvidia forums suggested RTSS.

So, i read here in your post: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/requesting-scanline-sync-tutorial.423722/, that vsync should be OFF in order to use scanline sync properly. :)

It says: "For scanline sync to work correctly, the game needs to run vsync OFF."

So i turned it off in game and nvidia cpanel too. Then i was trying to hit the negative value of s-sync to move the tear off screen. At least that's how i understood that RTSS should work.

Since i have 1920x1080, i tried -180 first, which didn't work, so i was experimenting with different values, starting from zero, but no matter what amount i set, tear stays at the same place.

Am i doing something wrong?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019

11. tripatwhat

tripatwhat Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1050
    @RealNC Any ideas on this? Would be cool, if you can give me some advice to make this work and get rid of screen tear. :)

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @tripatwhat

You said you got tearing, so that seems like you're not using vsync. Are you saying that if you set vsync to "on" in the nvidia panel you get tearing?

(Never mind scanline sync here. It's not needed if all you want is not have tearing.)

13. tripatwhat

tripatwhat Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1050
    @RealNC Yes, even with vsync on in nvidia cpanel, i have tearing. I tried all combinations:
    1) Vsync on in game, off in panel
    2) vsync off in game, on in panel
    3) vsync on in game and vsync on in panel
    None of these solved the screen tear.

But, isn't scanline sync solving the screen tear issue? I read, that it is created to tackle this problem on nvidia graphic cards on laptops, since laptop producers provide drivers that have problems with vsync, which causes screen tear. So, scanline sync should solve this.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  14. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Well, then you got some other problem. Nothing what MSI AB could solve.

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @tripatwhat Sounds like a driver bug. I don't know if RTSS can help here.

Maybe your laptop is compatible with the latest drivers directly from nvidia? Have you tried installing those?

16. tripatwhat

tripatwhat Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1050
    @RealNC I did try to use drivers from nvidia, newest ones and some old ones that are known to be stable, but tearing was still there, plus with some of these drivers i had general performance issue on my laptop, like blue screen for example. That's why asus support and a lot of people on nvidia forums suggested to always use asus provided drivers, since apparently laptop manufacturers do some modifications on graphics and that's why they also mod the graphic drivers.

Anyway, it's not connected to only one driver, it happens with other drivers too and tearing only happens when i play online game, for example 5v5 basketball with other people online. This issue was happening last year too and it's not only for me. Other people with nvidia and also amd cards have the same problem. For some of them vsync in panel helped, for some locking fps. In my case, the only situation when i don't see screen tear is when i play in full screen windowed mode. Then screen tear is not present, but i have stutter, which is also annoying of course.

I found this discussion for example: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/agvnj1/scanline_sync_in_the_latest_riva_tuner_is/. This user says: "for me -180 was a good value for 1920x1080 atleast on my monitor, for other resolutions and/or if -180 is not good for you just keep adjusting the value up or down in steps of 10 or so, -190 -200 -210 or -170 -160 -150 etc, just remember to not enter anything into "Framerate Limit" in RTSS and keep it at 0, otherwise scanline sync has no effect, once you found a good value and cant see any more tearing you can leave it like that"

He left a link to scanline sync tutorial, in which you also explain how to make tearing invisible using it.

On the other hand, here you say "Never mind scanline sync here. It's not needed if all you want is not have tearing." and "I don't know if RTSS can help here."

So, i am really confused now. Can you please explain this to me?

17. tripatwhat

tripatwhat Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1050
    @Andy_K Not only me, tons of other people. It seems like vsync in game works quite bad for most of the people, so they instead use nvidia cpanel vsync to solve this. It creates some input lag, but screen tear is gone. For me nvidia cpanel solution didn't work. Later i found out that it's common issue on laptops, that vsync doesn't work properly. It seems like laptop manufacturers have this kind of issue in drivers they provide for nvidia cards.

That's why a guy on nvidia forums suggested RTSS, to simply move screen tear of the screen. Then i saw reddit discussion about this and also tutorial on this forum, but now i read here that this can't solve tearing issues, which is completely opposite to what i read in the tutorial. :)

18. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It is not completely opposite at all, it is just your limited understanding issue. He told you that if VSYNC is broken in general on your PC - RTSS won’t be able to help you to eliminate tearing.

19. tripatwhat

tripatwhat Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1050
    @Unwinder Ok, i don't understand, that's why i am asking for more clarification. :) For example, in tutorial it says, vsync needs to be OFF in order for scanline sync to work properly. If it needs to be OFF, why it is important if vsync on my laptop is broken or not? It is OFF, so goes out of the story, RTSS is taking over with scanline sync. That's how i understood the tutorial.

You wrote "He told you that if VSYNC is broken in general on your PC". Ok, i obviously have vsync issue, but isn't RTSS created to tackle the vsync issues?

20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @tripatwhat RTSS scanline sync is obviously not working for you. We don't know why. Since vsync isn't working either, there's something broken with your laptop.

Last resort here is to try setting the game to use borderless windowed mode instead of exclussive fullscreen, hoping that the Windows 10 desktop will be able to remove tearing. If that doesn't help either, then you might want to report your laptop as defective.

Andy_K likes this.