Extreme 4-Way Sli Tuning

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by A M D BugBear, Mar 10, 2019.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    LORDS OF FALLEN - 4-WAY SLI - UPDATE ON FPS GAP/SPIKES UPON LOADING GAME 9/27/19:

Found some Critical Updates in regards about the FPS GAP/SPIKES upon loading up saved game.

I have seem I have fixed the issue but its only in certain specific angle/location,etc.

For instance, upon loading up my saved game, the saved thingy is in the snow area, This area my fps goes inbetween 53-55/56 give or take, now I manage always 58 for the most part however other spots/angle where it has lower scaling usage, sometimes in these spots/it Still fluctuates a bit, in these spots, I have seen as high as 6 fps gap and that is HUGE for this game but I might have found that can help with the issue.

First of all within your SLI Specific Hack bits:

0x00000008 IGNORE_READ_LOCK_FOR_STAGING_TEXTURES - Ignore CPU read lock for staging textures - real hack, specific to Red Faction: Armageddon.

I tried this one and seems to help stabilize the fps in high load location but I only tried it on one spot, every single section is going to be different, also 0x00000009<<~~ this one will work to as well..

Also, within the SLI Specific Hack Bits:

0x00000<<~~ This one can also further help stabilize the Overall fps fluctuation on certain areas/angle/etc upon loading up saved game.

Also in Sekiro's case, 0x00000000<<~~ this Also help me further in the FPS dept by a bit, 8,9 or A will work for that game.

More testing and tuning is still needs to be done, I checked certain locations where there is low scaling usage, Certain areas are kinda low, in the 60%(Even with Post Processing and Volumetric Lightning off) but for the most part, scales Great, especially in the 1st dungeon area, Beastly mode.

This game shouldn't take to long from where I am standing now. Probably around early next week game should be done. Far as overall stability and graphic anomalies, not a single problem.

Always check back for future updates, thank you all for reading.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  2. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    LORDS OF FALLEN - 4-WAY SLI - UPDATE ON FPS GAP/SPIKES UPON LOADING GAME 9/28/19:

Very interesting results here, just wanted to test something similar to what I have done to Sekiro.

Although I have gotten basically most of the FPS GAPS/SPIKES upon loading up saved game well under control, I just found out that if you happen to revisit an area where you previously were, you fps may increase by a frame or two, in Sekiro's case, you can lose like 4 fps or so.

For instance, if your loading up saved game, you check one specific angle/spot, it says 45, then you play in the area for a bit/wandering around in a good distance, then come back to the same spot/angle to see if performance changes, in this case it does but just a tad, it may show 46/47, along with other spots/angles as well, it seems it improves, Sekiro in other hand, from what I have observed, decrease when you come back to an area where you once before, very interesting results here, in this game if it indeed decrease its performance overtime, its only by a hair, nothing to be concern about.

Also, upon death and reload save game, seem fps could be roughly the same or just a notch higher, so many variables to look at there, very crazy.

Anyhow, just want to let everyone know, All The tuning is complete, working on SLI broadcast bits, then check for long term stability then my final conclusion, so far looking good, working on scaling in weaker scaling areas, and just to let everyone know, certain hex's within the SLI Specific hack bits can make this game crash, namely:

0x0<~~

&

0x00<<~~

& Lastly: 0x000<~~~ this one as well.

WORK IN PROGRESS.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  3. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    LORDS OF FALLEN - 4-WAY SLI - UPDATE - 10/1/19:

Just to let everyone know, Final conclusion will be up today, so be sure to stick around for it, in the meantime:

About the low scaling usage, From further inspection/observation, it seems to me that weather effects is playing some kind of role here and there is no way to my knowledge to disable it.

I think this is causing some of the reduced scaling issues in certain spots/areas where there is weather like effect, like for instance in the snow area, the snow/wind effect, Mostly from closer inspection/observation, wind like effect is causing the scaling drag, I notice in certain specific angle/spot, there is some reduction in overall scaling power in these spots/areas, I tried everything to work around the issue and I can not find a workaround of it but that being said, it does NOT take it away for the fact that, for the most part, it scales extremely well with absolutely no visible graphic anomalies that I am aware of, Just like hitman absolution, how you run on 1 gpu mode is how it will look overall on 4-way sli mode, in other words, there is 0 graphic anomalies/flickering/etc.

Also, ALL tuning is complete, now going to check final stability for long term play.

Also, another thing I just found out, be sure that if your going to play the game, set the desired resolution upon start-up, if you change your resolution during game play near those save spot altars, you will have a blackish/reddish image looking imprint left behind and it will continue to stay there, to get rid of this, if your in an area such as the outside location, I have found a way, simply look up in the sky and nothing else, then switch your resolution, that imprint will no longer be there.

If there is stuttering, there is very small portion of it, nothing to be concern about.

Anyways, final conclusion will be up later on today, be sure to look for it.

A complete run down from 1 gpu and 4-way sli performance test will be shown within the final conclusion of this game, similar to how I did sekiro.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  4. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    LORDS OF FALLEN - 4-WAY SLI - FINAL - 10/1/19:

Final Conclusion is done for this game and lots of performance testing was done and all jotted down.

Everything seems to run really really well, alot better then I ever thought of.

Before I begin, these are the current Graphic Settings I was using during the test:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    // Fledge Settings file
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    // flag indicating whether spoken will be displayed
    subtitles_enabled = false
    // flag indicating whether in game text is enabled
    display_ingame_text = true
    // flag indicating whether in game combat text is enabled
    display_ingame_text_combat = true
    // flag indicating whether in game quest text is enabled
    display_ingame_text_quest = true
    // flag indicating whether enemy health bars must be shown
    display_enemy_health_bars = true
    // whether save games will be using time stamps
    savegame_timestamp_enabled = false
    // general detail level for the game
    general_detail_level = Custom
    // vertical look inverted flag
    vertical_look_inverted = false
    // horizontal look inverted flag
    horizontal_look_inverted = false
    // write combat log files for playtest evaluation
    combat_log_enabled = false
    // control scheme (currently supported values: Default, Option1)
    control_scheme = Option1
    // will the game feature 'finishing sequences'?
    finishing_sequences_enabled = true
    // will the camera try to avoid collision by adjusting its own rotation?
    camera_rotation_adjust_enabled = false
    // will hud elements be auto-scaled for resolutions other than 1080p?
    auto_scale_hud_enabled = true
    // the rotational speed of the camera
    controller_sensitivity = 2.000
    // whether the quest text should be always displayed
    display_quest_text = true
    // whether the current enemy should be locked automatically
    auto_lock_on_enemies = false
    // whether the target lock on should switch to the next target automatically after defeating the current one
    auto_switch_lock_on = false
    // master volume
    master_volume = 1
    // music volume
    music_volume = 0
    // effect volume
    effect_volume = 1
    // speech volume
    speech_volume = 1.000
    // create a log file? (true/false)
    logging_enabled = false
    // the size of the fullscreen render window (e.g. 1024x768)
    screen_size_fullscreen = 3840x2400
    // the window mode (Fullscreen, Windowed, WindowedBorderless)
    window_mode = Fullscreen
    // game mode name
    game_mode = Default
    // vsync flag (true/false)
    vsync = false
    // postprocessing quality (Off, Low, Medium, High, VeryHigh)
    quality_postprocessing = VeryHigh
    // texture quality (Off, Low, Medium, High, VeryHigh)
    quality_textures = Medium
    // shadow quality (Off, Low, Medium, High, VeryHigh)
    quality_shadows = VeryHigh
    // geometry quality (Off, Low, Medium, High, VeryHigh)
    quality_geometry = VeryHigh
    // volumetric lighting quality (Off, Low, Medium, High, VeryHigh)
    quality_volumetric_lighting = VeryHigh
    // anisotropic filtering quality (Off, Low, Medium, High, VeryHigh)
    quality_anisotropic_filtering = VeryHigh
    // flag controlling rumble enabled (true/false)
    rumble_enabled = false
    // the gamma correction value
    gamma_correction_value = 1.000
    // defines the screen space LOD factor
    screen_space_lod_factor = 1.000
    // defines the distance LOD factor
    distance_lod_factor = 1.000
    // defines if APEX should utilize GPU support (e.g. for APEX Turbulence) if available (true/false)
    apex_gpu_support_enabled = false
    // defines the size of the physx timestep to use (a variable timestep will be used if the value is <= 0)
    physx_fixed_timestep_size = 0.016
    // enables lighting of dynamic objects via light probes
    enable_lightprobe_lighting = true
    // enables enlighten threads
    enable_enlighten = true
    // defines the interval at which the radiosity update scheduler gets updated
    enlighten_radiosity_update_interval = 0.000
    // enables the occlusion culling thread
    enable_occlusion_culling = true
    // enable/disable chromashift postprocessing effect
    post_chromashift_enabled = true

Certain cutscenes such as for example, the 1st warden, when he gather his initial energy, if you don't fully disable the apex/nvidia turbulence, you WILL, and I mean, you will see very abnormal scaling throughout this particular scene, you MUST turn it off, even if its off, the scaling is still kinda weakened but quickly will go away and the overall scaling power will go back to normal, same thing as right after 1st warden fight, cutscene will appear, certain parts of this cutscene, here is some low scaling here and there but it will quickly go back up, there are other cutscenes that has kinda low scaling but it will quickly go back up, its not bad all the time, actually for the most part is great.

apex/nvidia turbulence CAN be turned on while battling the 1st warden without any noticeable scaling drag.

Overall Stability under 4-way sli mode:

Absolutely no Crashes, 0 Flickering/Flashing of any sorts, Very Minimal stuttering, Overall stability for this game is Excellent overall...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the moment that everyone has been waiting for all this time:

I jotted down performance readings from 1 gpu then to 4 gpu.\

Before I begin on the Performance readings, I would like to say that although you can set the textures to high and it does work but I can not guarantee its overall stability since I have NOT played it long term but from initial reaction, it works perfectly and oh that brings me another topic here, Main Physical ram:

MAIN PHYSICAL RAM:

BE SURE TO HAVE AT LEAST UP TO 16GB OF MAIN SYSTEM RAM TO BE SAFE, THANK YOU.

1st is the Intro Cutscene, the one after the video playback, Ingame Intro Cutscene, the moment you enter the Dungeon.

I didn't record when the screen was black, I did the testing right after the actual graphics shows up.

Results:

1 GPU MODE:

MIN FPS: 15/AVG FPS: 19/MAX FPS: 22/1% LOW: 14 FPS/0.1% LOW: 4 FPS

4 GPU MODE:

MIN FPS: 48/AVG FPS: 71/MAX FPS: 85/1% LOW: 25 FPS/0.1% LOW: 8 FPS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actual game play, right after the actual in-game intro Cutscene, from the beginning to next to the door where you fight 1st warden but didn't go inside.

Results are as follows:

1 GPU MODE:

MIN FPS: 14/AVG FPS: 19/MAX FPS: 24/1% LOW: 24 FPS/0.1% LOW: 8 FPS

4 GPU MODE:

MIN FPS: 54/AVG FPS: 72/MAX FPS: 90/1% LOW: 31 FPS/0.1% LOW: 12 FPS

Temps in an NON Air Condition room, Ambient temp is roughly in the Low 70 Degrees Fahrenheit.

Results are as follows during this play:

GPU 1: 62c
    GPU 2: 64c
    GPU 3: 64c
    GPU 4: 61c

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1ST WARDEN boss actual in-game cutscene.

In the 4-way sli performance test, I split the test into two, one test is the initial cutscene leading up to the scaling drag, and the other test is after the scaling comes back to normal because of one particular section it cuts scaling quite a bit but quickly comes back, so I did 2 test on thoses, however:

Results are as follows:

1 GPU MODE:

MIN FPS: 13/AVG FPS: 15/MAX FPS 19/1% LOW: 12 FPS/0.1% LOW: 7 FPS

4 WAY MODE:

TEST #1:

MIN FPS: 52/AVG FPS: 62/MAX FPS: 71/1% LOW: 11 FPS/0.1% LOW: 10 FPS

TEST #2:

MIN FPS: 47/AVG FPS: 53/MAX FPS: 64:/1% LOW: 10 FPS/0.1% LOW: 8 FPS

This Section Covers the Entire 1st Warden Battle from start to right before the cutscene:

Both GPU modes, in this fight scene, we literally trashed the whole entire room, even fought on top of the footstep area all the way to the back, everything was completely trashed and:

Results are as follows:

1 GPU MODE:

MIN FPS: 14 FPS/AVG FPS: 18/MAX FPS: 21/1% LOW: 13 FPS/0.1% LOW: 8 FPS

4 GPU MODE:

MIN FPS: 50 FPS/AVG FPS: 66/MAX FPS: 81/1% LOW: 35 FPS/0.1% LOW: 14 FPS

GPU temps under 4-way Sli:

GPU 1: 62c
    GPU 2: 64c
    GPU 3: 64c
    GPU 4: 61c

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This performance Section covers the In-game Cutscenes after the 1st warden fight, yes in this cutscene, there is some scaling issues here and there under 4-Way Sli mode but I did including all the readings here, I didn't splice them up so people can see, so shall we all begin???

Results are as follows:

1 GPU MODE:

MIN FPS: 14/AVG FPS: 16/MAX FPS: 18/1% LOW: 13 FPS/0.1% LOW: 12 FPS

4 GPU MODE:

MIN FPS: 26/AVG FPS: 54/MAX FPS: 71/1% LOW: 16 FPS/0.1% LOW: 8 FPS

This section covers the performance, after the cutscene of defeating the 1st warden, game play was recorded very closely from the entrance of the next area to the door that leads outside(snow area):

Results:

1 GPU MODE:

MIN FPS: 16/AVG FPS: 21/MAX FPS: 26/1% LOW: 14 FPS/0.1% LOW: 12 FPS

4 GPU MODE:

MIN FPS: 51/AVG FPS: 71:MAX FPS: 89/1% LOW: 27 FPS/0.1% LOW: 11 FPS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And finally, this section covers the moment you open the outside door, snow/wind area:

Some cutscene I skipped is the man inside the gate, the one I engage the cutscene is the one next to the game, the one with the women, in this scene, there is some scaling drag here and there within 4-way mode so keep this mind at all times, and yes I bench recorded that as well, Also, this testing also covers the cutscene where you get your gauntlet, So shall we begin???

Results are as follows:

1 GPU MODE:

MIN FPS: 13/AVG FPS: 17/MAX FPS: 22/1% LOW: 13/0.1% LOW: 6 FPS

4 GPU MODE:

MIN FPS: 31/AVG FPS: 55/MAX FPS: 79/1% LOW: 27/0.1% LOW: 8 FPS

And temps under 4-way mode during this section:

GPU 1: 57c
    GPU 2: 59c
    GPU 3: 59c
    GPU 4: 57c

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And to top it right off:

Here are my Custom bits and other settings BUT FIRST:

CUSTOM MADE BITS AND OTHER SETTINGS:

WARNING(ONLY FOR THE GTX 970 FAMILY+ONLY WIN 10 X64(15063/VERSION 1703(RS2)):

Within Nvidia Inspector:

Under - 1 Compatibility:

Ambient Occlusion Compatibility: Leave unchanged

SLI Broadcast (DX1x) Bits: 0x00008800

SLI Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x2A14A3F5

SLI Specific Hack (DX1x) Bits: 0x03007697

SLI Copy Engine Blitter Bits: 0x00000020 FORCE_CE_UPLOADS Force - Copy Engine Async Uploads for all uploads (ignoring location of destination surface).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Under 2 - Sync and Refresh:

Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames: 3

Preferred Refreshrate: Highest Available

Vertical Sync Tear Control: Adaptive

All gync stuff I have it disabled, no need for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Under - 5 Common:

Ambient Occlusion setting: Performance

Ambient Occlusion usage: Enabled

Multi-Display/Mixed-GPU Acceleration: Single Display Performance Mode

Optimize for Compute Perfomance: ON(Must be on, otherwise scaling won't work, absolutely no exceptions period)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Under 6 - SLI:

Antialiasing - SLI AA: Enabled

Number of GPU's to use on SLI rendering mode: Autoselect

Nvidia Predefined Number of GPU's to use in SLI Rendering Mode: Autoselect

Nvidia Predefined Number of GPU's to use in SLI rendering Mode (Dx1X): Autoselect

Nvidia Predefined Sli Mode on Direct X 10: AFR2

SLI Rendering mode: Autoselect

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These changes applies to 8 - Extra, make these changes below:

MCSFRLOADBALANCE: 0x28384382 Static - each GPU receives a equal amount of pixels to process.

PS_ASYNC_SHADER_SCHEDULER_ FLAGS: 0x00000001 IGNORE_LOAD_BALANCING - debug: Ignore gpu load, apply always.

SLIMOSAIC_CONTROL: 0x00000400 UNICAST_CE_TRANSFER_4WAY - Use unicast CE transfer on 4 way systems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And finally, Make these final changes to nvidia PREDEFINED unknown settings, to view more of this, click on the magnify glass on top of the nvidia inspector profile program and scroll all the way down to you see: nvidia PREDEFINED unknown settings.

Make the changes below:

0x00110999 (2 Profiles) 0x00001000 (Battlefield V)

0X002533F7 (1 Profiles): 0x00000001 (Battlefield V)

0x00854CAB (26 Profiles): 0x00000028 (Battlefield 4)

0x00A1131F (1 Profiles): 0x00000001 (Monster Hunter World)

0x00ACBCC1 (1 Profiles): 0x00000011 (Star Wars: Battlefront II (2017))

0x00C96F61 (1 Profiles): 0x0000000F (Battlefield 1, Plants vs Zombies)

0x00DE5C4D (1 Profiles): 0x00000010 (Battlefield 1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time to wrap things up, Final Conclusion for this game under 4-way mode.

Yes I do highly recommend doing this under 4-way mode.

another thing I didn't mention eariler is that you MUST have the res to 3840X2400 instead of 3840X2160 cause you will have reduce scaling usage, thus, lower fps, already confirmed it, so please run it 3840x2400 and nothing higher if you could(Vram wall)if you can to take the advantage of my custom profile, thanks.

Although everything seems almost stutter/hitching free with absolutely no graphic anomalies whatsoever, there is some scaling issues, some within in-game cutscenes, and certain areas(outside), but for the most part, this thing is solid.

Overall Scaling Consistency in Dungeons or in tight areas = Pretty Damn good.

Overall Scaling Consistency while outside areas like snow/wind and such = Very Very good to 3-way'ish, but for the most Pretty darn solid.

So my Final Conclusion under 4-way:

Overall, I give it 2 thumbs up, highly recommended(despite some scaling issues here and there, although not 100% perfect.

OVERALL SCALING POTENTIAL FROM 1 GPU TO 4: IN MOST CASES = EXCELLENT!!

GRAPHIC DRIVER USED: MODIFIED QUADRO DRIVERS 431.86

GPU SPEEDS TESTED: 1506(CORE/+100)/MEMORY(3758(7,516mhz Effective/+250)

OS USED: WIN 10 x64 RS2(15063.2045)/VERSION 1703)

SYSTEM RAM USAGE: OVER 12GB+ EASY.

MOTHERBOARD BIOS USED: 4101

INTEL CHIPSET DRIVER USED: 10.1.18010.8141 + 10.1.18121.8164 UPDATE

TOTAL TUNING/PERFORMANCE MONITORING/TESTING TIME: AROUND 30+HRS.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    YAKUZA KIWAMI 2 - 4-WAY SLI - UPDATE - 10/2/19:

Just to let everyone know, Going to be tuning this game today, so be sure to stick around for updates, thanks.

6. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    YAKUZA KIWAMI 2 - INITIAL 4-WAY SLI REACTION - UPDATE - 10/2/19:

The Dragon is out and its Yakuza Kiwami 2 @ your service...

So for start, I started 1 gpu mode @ 2400p, Texture set to Medium, everything to max.

There is Several Cutscenes that has very abnormal scaling issues, even under 4-way sli but its those particular cut-scenes, I think its mainly due to some of the settings, need to check and confirm but here comes the most excellent news:

So the Sli profile I used right off the back:

0x2A0115F5 (Debug Mode AFR-FriendlyD3D + Possible Hints, Agents of Mayhem, Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, Anthem, World Of Warcraft, Far Cry 5)

Normally that usually kicks somewhat to a degree on my 4-Way, and the Initial 4-way Sli reaction is: Mouth hanging wide open, and it stayed open for quite some time, and I said to myself, Holy F'in Sh_!, shakes head and says WOW!:

This hits REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL HARD on scaling, oh my GOD!.

This thing scales like a Dragon from the Abyss, Holy Mother of God!

But yes, to cut the long story short, 1 GPU to 4 GPU performance = EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Flickering/Flashing,etc.

There is one kinda minor greenish faint looking light, middle of the screen, top part, in one particular in-game cutscene but after that, all good.

There is one cutscene, when it goes screen to screen, it flashes just in the beginning of that screen then quickly goes away, some scenes needs to be worked on, its these scenes have the same problem with 1 gpu, another indication is that my GPU BUS USAGE on all 4 gpu's is going haywire, again, I think its something within the graphic settings, Further tuning NEEDS to be done to confirm, so stay tuned.

But 99% of the Cutscenes and from what I have played in-game is = EXCELLENT!!!!!

Further Inspection on the temps, All 4 gpu's are running mid to upper 60's, gpu 3 is about 69/71c'ish.

This thing will absolutely choke ALL 4 gpu's, absolutely fair warning, HITS harder then lords of fallen, Doesn't even comes close, probably on same league or greater then Rise of Tomb Raider, Absolute Must that All 4 gpu's are Fully prepared, You better have your temps WELL under control/check, otherwise = Hell, and I am not fooling around here, this is absolutely serious, HITS INCREDIBLY HARD on scaling, All 4 gpu's is around 99% to 100% usage, sometimes gpu3 will hit 95%, but for the most part 99%/100%

Pretty muched viewed all the intro and the remembering cutscenes, played the game for bit and overall games stability:

Not one crash, all good. In-game seems smooth, no stuttering fars I can tell.

Only thing I did is switch sli bits to the above mentioned profile and pretty much that was it.

I will closer check on settings and such and see how long term game play goes, if certain things needs to be tune, I will do so as I go but far as Initial Reaction on 4-way with this game:

HOLY SH_T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and Last but not least:

WORK IN PROGRESS, :)

UPDATE:

Just heads up, using modified Quadro drivers 431.94(Latest).

7. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT - 4-WAY SLI - UPDATE: 10/2/19:

Went back on this game from months ago where I left off mainly due to major flickering,etc.

I got rid of most of the flickering, actual background themselves are fine, just mainly city lights, but not all lights, if you get close to the lights, they become normal, so when you go far away, then look back where those lights were flashing before, they are not flashing now.

Also I did some heavy changes within the config folder.

I basically lowered everything to plain vanilla looking, and fully disabled pretty much everything so I can pin-point the problems I am facing, then work your way up, slowly, Also:

Sli Compatibility bits:

0x00000<<~~~ Is playing a massive role here once again and MUST be set to B, NO EXCEPTIONS...

Also Sli Broadcast bits is set to:

0x00000001

This game still needs massive amounts of tuning, not just the config file but the bits as well, I'll save this game for later, feeling this won't be an easy one but wanted to see if I can eliminate most of the flickering/flashing problems and yes, most of it is gone.

Once Yakuza Kimawi 2 is done, I might look into this one again, this game is going to take a very long time to tune, so saving it for later.

Also games I will be working on other then Yakuza 2:

Dead Space 2
    Dead Space 3
    Battlefield V(I'll try once again)
    Nioh(Trying to finish up the stability issues under 3-way mode(no need for 4-way(60 fps cap)
    Assassins Creed Origins
    Bright Memory(Off and on I'll continue to tune, not really focus on that really for now).

Check back for more updates later.

8. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    YAKUZA KIWAMI 2 - 4-WAY SLI - UPDATE - 10/2/19:

Found the source of the major scaling drag on certain cutscenes, apparently its the DOF or aka Depth of field is causing it, you MUST turn it off other your fps and other things will go absolutely haywire, including gpu bus usage.

I did some slight changes within the sli compatibily bits, seems it runs kinda smoother now.

Check back later as this game is:

WORK IN PROGRESS.

9. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    UPDATE ON COOLING - 4-WAY SLI - UPDATE - 10/2/19:

Did some changes in the cooling area.

I put some thermal tape behind the vrm area of the pcb, with some copper shims, all 4 gpu's has been upgraded in cooling.

What prompt me to do this is right after playing Yakuza 2 for quite sometime, was curious about the temps behind the pcb where the vrm's were, Extremely hot, so this prompt me, and that was with 2 Scythe fan hitting in front of it, .18a ones.

I also did some changes in the front 4 scythe fans, Wanted to try something different:

I have 3 .53a scythe fan and a good working left over 120mm panasonic panaflo fan(GOOD TIMES), Remember the Thermalright XP cooler anyone???

I also have 1 140mm Artic cooling fan slanted on the right a bit so better airflow can get into the cards from the side, I also had a left over 80mm scythe fan, this one is right below the Artic Cooling 140mm fan, and its slanted in an angle/upwards, hitting mostly 4th gpu and 3rd gpu.

Running Yakuza Kiwami 2 for quite some time, game hits REAL REAL REAL hard on 4-way.

Ambient temps is probably slightly lower then 70 degrees Fahrenheit, windows open, no AC turned on

Current temps are as follows:

@ 1506mhz(Core/All 4 Gpu's)

GPU 1: 62-63c
    GPU 2: 65-66c
    GPU 3: 65-66c
    GPU 4: 62c

What can I say, EXCELLENT temps across, Best of all, No aio's here. Just alot of modification in the cooling dept along with the stock cooler, Very very impressive temps.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Well also with 4-Way, you're not loading the GPU's nearly as much. Lower clocks, lower loading lower temps. I quit bothering with SLI when Batman AK came out and the scaling was crap. I had better performance running 2-way with the third dedicated to PhysX. That is another wrinkle you didn't investigate.

11. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Well I already tested 1 gpu with Yakuza 2 and with 4-way, yes it is working Extremely well, almost basically perfect scaling(despite some issues/still tuning). I always check 1 gpu performance then 4-way Sli.

Again, that scaling usage really means nothing, Like before, I always check 1 gpu performance upwards to 4, to confirm it is indeed working, but even then, you might get up to 3-way performance if lucky, that is with heavy tuning for specific game, every game is going to be different and their reactions will be different of course, not only that, certain graphic settings in general, sli won't like it, at times even one gpu mode can go higher, but that's just the nature behind it, but in the end, It is alot better then I originally thought, this whole 4-way project.

1506mhz on gtx 970 is up there far as oc is concern, I have gotten high as over 1600mhz stable while running in one gpu mode while the others were out.

But I agree, 1 gpu is the way to go, absolutely no question about it, But this is just something I wanted to do awhile back ago, again, quite impressed with results from where I first started, very very surprised even just 1 game is taken advantage of it.

Again, thanks for your reply.

12. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    YAKUZA KIWAMI 2 - 4-WAY SLI - UPDATE - 10/3/19:

Certain things are coming up Similar to the same exact problems as with Sekiro and Dragon Quest 11...

Certain Minute spots in this game, your scaling goes abnormal for a sec then quickly goes back to normal, It basically cuts the fps to almost at times half, but its in these exact pin-point vicinity that will cause the very abnormal scaling.

The thing that I found very interesting in this game is that, even the same exact problem with the other 2 before mentioned games, the gap between point A and Point B, referring to the vicinity of where the scaling acts up, is much less then Sekiro or Dragon Quest 11.

In other words, in the beginning of this game in the city, you can walk 10 seconds then you see a scaling drag, then another 10+ seconds you will see another, other spots are maybe far away but the gap between point A and Point B is much worse in this game then the other 2, but it is in these Very Exact Spot/Vicinity area that will act up, all others will not act up at all.

Also, for troubleshooting the problem even further, I turned down all the settings, nope, I even lowered the res to 1920X1200, Again, NOPE.

I am working on this issue as we speak, Although in Sekiro's/Dragon Quest 11 case, I could NOT fix the issue, even in one gpu mode, it was acting up in Sekiro and if I remembered Correctly DQ11 as well...

Game is still:

WORK IN PROGRESS.

13. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    YAKUZA KIWAMI 2 - 4-WAY SLI - UPDATE - 10/3/19:

Single Gpu mode does NOT have this issue, Double checked, in regards about the massive abnormal scaling reaction in very specific spots/area.

Also, Just to give heads up on overall scaling power in this game:

I just did a short walk in the beginning of the game, in the city.

Graphic settings was set to Max Except DOF(Depth of Field) @ 2400p(3840x2400)

AA is set to SMAA, I wouldn't use anything higher, lol, doing so will make the game totally unplayable, especially at this resolution.

All 4 Gtx 970's Clocked @ 1506mhz(Core)/Vram Memory: 3856(7816 Effective)

Right in the beginning while walking straight, I get about 14 fps for the most part up to 15.

Under 4-way Sli:

55 fps to 56 fps, seen high as 57, so yes basically 100% perfect scaling from 1 gpu to 4.

Also, I stood in this one particular spot, 1 gpu gave me 17 fps, under 4-way Sli: 66 fps.

So yes, overall Scaling Potential in this game is absolutely incredible, just working around the
    issues where certain spots gives be very abnormal scaling reaction and its always in those Same Exact Spot Area, other areas = not a single problem.

Cutscenes seems to be running very smooth, no stuttering far's I can tell, No graphic anomalies, the only thing maybe is just a quick flashes on screen right in the beginning when cutscenes shifts into another scene, then it will very quickly go away, absolutely nothing to be concern about.

UPDATE:

Another quick heads up:

Did some quick tests:

Tested under 2-way sli mode and that abnormal scaling reaction does NOT occur, it only applies to 3-way and 4-way sli modes.

Under 3-way Sli, the same spots thats giving me some trouble under 4-way, some of these spots does NOT effect 3-way sli, some of the other spots does BUT my loss of fps during this abnormal scaling reaction is no where near as bad as 4-way, Big difference.

These test were NOT long term, these were just quick tests to see how they were react
    initially.

Scaling on 2-way and 3-way modes are top notch jut to let everyone know.

Again working around this issue, My main primary focus is 4-way and nothing else at this point so working on the issue as we speak, gonna take some time. thanks for reading.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It appears you didnt give up SLI when running 2 way with a 3rd running Physx.

15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I have not run SLI since I went single 980Ti and now 1080 Ti. And that game was pretty much why I've not bothered since. I did however use the 980 Ti as PhysX GPU with the 1080 TI for some time. It makes a large difference in both min and average FPS in all of the Batman titles. I don't play them enough to keep it installed so my nephew is using it.

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What I meant was, try running PhysX titles in 3-way with GPU 4 dedicated to PhysX. You can actually do this with a 4-Way bridge attached and it will work fine. Give it a shot. I'll bet you'll be surprised at the performance increase.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I was commenting on this line
    "I had better performance running 2-way with the third dedicated to PhysX."
    Running 2 way [SLI] ...

Ahh, I see, you are re-telling older fortunes, my bad.

18. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    You know what, I wanted to do that originally before I attempted this and I said, nah, let's try 4-way and here I am.

Good thing you mentioned about this eariler, thanks a bunch.

I did think I tried this once with batman: AK awhile back, forgot what the results were but thanks for bringing it back up.

When I go back to Batman: AK, I'll try it this time.

This game will take awhile to tune. I'll try both 4-way SLI and 3-way sli + a dedicated Physx(GTX 970).

19. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    YAKUZA KIWAMI 2 - 4-WAY SLI - UPDATE - 10/5/19:

Update on the Scaling drag on those minute spots/vicinity areas.

Although I haven't completely eliminated the scaling drag issues of these minute spots, I did manage to help the reduction of fps by a great deal...

First of all, Lets say your walking north, and you happen to come to this scaling drag, fps will go 60 to low as 38, but when you walk back south to the same vicinity area, it's not as bad but soon as you walk back north to the same location area, fps will shift down again to very very low 40's or lower, I did manage to fix some of this situation...

Now its like 60 fps to 48-50 fps, maybe not right in the beginning but when you walk back north again, it will be around 50 fps instead of 38 fps, BIG DIFFERENCE...

Under Sli Specific Hack bits (DX1x):

0x0000000<<~~ This particular hex will help the reduction of the fps during the scaling drag, mine is set to 3...

Still working on this issue, I am no where being done.

Despite the Fix on the Reduction of fps during the scaling drag, overall fps while playing normally, I lost about 1 fps or maybe 1.5 fps in return...

Also since the weather is cooler now, I tried running the gpu's @ 1565 mhz @ voltage slider +50, seems everything is stable, haven't did a long run on it to know but the temps are well under control, from mid 60's Celsius and under, Thats with gpu's hitting basically 99% load on all 4 gpu's...

I did went through a great deal of tuning within the Sli Compatibility bits to see if I can help improve the overall fps by a notch or try to help get rid of that scaling drag, I have not cleared off the scaling drag but I have managed to gain very few fps, even then, that is alot for this game as this game, gpu horsepower needed to push 4k is absolutely tremendous, probably one of the worst I have deal't with...

Just to let everyone know, I have viewed many cutscenes and they all seem perfectly stable and smooth.

The ones that I had problem with, some cutscenes, some of them, DOF have to be turned off, otherwise very abnormal reaction during Sli mode, even then, it may run slow at first during the cutscene, but about 2 seconds or so, scaling will kick in full force...

Still trying to fix the scaling drag issues in these spots, as a reminder, this does NOT occur when I do single gpu or 2-way Sli...

Game is still:

WORK IN PROGRESS.

20. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    YAKUZA KIWAMI 2 - 4-WAY SLI - UPDATE - 10/6/19:

Got more Great news coming along.

During the scaling drag on those Minute Spots, I have lessen the fps reduction to another level.

For instance, 62-63 fps while moving, when I hit these scaling drag spots, now its around 53-56 or so give or take, Making great progress.

Still working on smoothing the transitions on these spots, not very easy.

This was tuning some of the Unknown PREDEFINED nvidia settings within nvidia inspector.

Again, this Game is still:

WORK IN PROGRESS...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019