Over 100 Improvements to be included in upcoming AMD Ryzen 3000: AGESA 1.0.0.4

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 4, 2019.

1. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Don't be butthurt fans or boys or fanboys all of you above. Show some proper respect to consumer's conscience. Most amateur users, do not know how to update bios. Imagine problems that a poor noob guy could simply avoid if AMD provided a stable and ready to fire up platform. They are years after the first Gen ryzen, but still, they're figuring out settings and tweaks.

2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    actually that's not a bad idea^....maybe not 32GB but yea.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Generally speaking the average customer that is buying PC parts are going to be one of three things.
    • Getting into the hobby and willing to learn
    • Buying from someone who will support the hardware and software
    • Knows what they're doing
    Typically people that don't know much about computers, well as the old tagline says Dude, you're getting a Dell.

Let's also not throw names around, let's be civil and act like adults please.

I doubt it's coming to most of the original x370 and b350 boards. I'm pretty sure MSI has more than 3 boards in that series.

Maddness and warlord like this.
  4. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    I prefer to buy a console instead of branded oem preset ready pc. :D

Anyway that's great news for intermediate or pro users like us here, who are willing to buy ryzen now or at the near future. :cool:

5. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Now if they could just upgrade my lowly B450s VRM via the BIOS.........

6. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    I pretty sure that's an MSI specific problem. And I think they made it so that you could get a BIOS with support for ryzen 3000 by stripping support for some old CPUs such as athlon ones.

I have a gigabyte b450 board that supposedly has 16mb of flash, yet I have been updating it no problem and without any loss of functionality (aside from PCIe 4, which did got activated and then deactivated back).

7. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I love all these new bios versions I finally after several years of having no soc voltage controls on my r5 1600 with the asrock ab350 I can actually run my ram at the xmp and even overclock them a little on hynix mfr rims.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I thought all Ryzens supported ECC? It's the motherboards that determine support.

AGESA affects how the CPU operates at the hardware level (stuff like clock and voltage adjustment, or exposed instruction sets).
    Chipset drivers affect how the CPU operates at the kernel level (exposes/controls stuff like PCIe and on-chip features).
    Windows updates affect how the CPU operates at the user level (stuff like task schedulers, power profiles, and core affinity).
    Ryzen is a relatively unusual design, which requires polishing and a lot of changes in a lot of places.

9. RyuzakiL

RyuzakiL Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX-1070
    Good news that AMD is still improving their Ryzen CPU's via micro codes and here I am sitting with my 8700k getting these mitigation performance sapping patches - and still being defended by these blue boys, who has nothing useful to say but keep on ranting about what AMD is improving on. Pathetic.

Anyway, this will be my last blue setup, and will look forward into going back into Red team. Can't wait what their Zen 3 and so forth will bring at that time.

10. Carbonic

Carbonic Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    Looking forward to a more polished and stable bios experience on X570. I hope this + the Windows 10 1909 improvements to modern multicore CPUs together will make quite the jump in experience.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    People who don't know how to update the BIOS are generally buying pre-built PCs with auto-update software that also auto-updates BIOS', even windows 10 updates often provide BIOS updates to pre-built PCs if the manufacturer of the PC feels the BIOS is important enough (I see this often in the last 2-3 years, first time windows 10 updated the BIOS, i was a bit weirded out)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    They're also not likely to notice if their CPU is running ~100MHz slower than expected. From what I heard, Zen2 has been stable where it matters, except for the whole rdrand thing.

Aura89 likes this.
  13. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The rom size is just an excuse to hide the real problem: poor quality programmers and poor wages. 20 to 25% of BIOS are full off 0x00 section of hunderds of KBs (so yes, I am talking about free space and not simple padding), at least on the ASUS C6H (a 16MB BIOS ROM MB..). Most of the sections are covered by bitmap useless interface. All the rest is covered in a very small part (few tens of KB) by the microcode, by the BIOS settings and by the profiles, plus some small extras (a TCP/IP stack for high end MBs used to update the BIOS directly downloading it from the OEM servers). You can see properly unpacking the BIOS ROMs and using an hex editor.
    Yes some bugs are perfectly reasonable and most them are due to the clusterfuck of the DDR4 standard.. But the rom size is an excuse.

14. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    100+ Fixes, this doesn't happen often . Good work AMD , keep it up fixing those cpu enchantment-bugs

15. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Wow, guess I got lucky. 100 different things fixed and not one issue here I can speak of was a bother here. I will count myself blessed.
    That said if you're running a 4790k and on the fence to upgrade, go ahead and spring for it. Don't be like me and wait weeks / years longer.

Nothing here was to brag, just listing it for the record. Cheapest x570 board I could find new, and thing fired up right out of the box only having to hit the XMP button to get RAM speed off default.
    An R7 3700x didn't just give me double the performance of a 4790k like the benchmarks said it would, the R7 3700x happily SMEARED it without even warming up the room.

Thank-you AMD, I don't have to sweat even with the AC on anymore (and we have a commercial-grade AC unit, of all things).

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Read the actual article first.

"It was MSI who shared a few details, AGESA 1.0.0.4 will be released next month in November and includes over a hundred improvements and new features. MSI state a "1004 BIOS with 100+ fixes will follow in November ", but in the video they point out that this will be "100+ Enhancements and Features ". So 'fixes' was poorly written."

17. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    This is in my opinion a bad idea.
    In general UEFI BIOS are a full blown operating system capable of handling rich bitmap, mouse and lan.
    The more sophisticated they get, and generally the more vulnerable.
    In my opinion we should have never moved from the old AMI/AWARD BIOS user interface and avoid adding the tcp ip stack to them.
    Personal opinion, i recognize it, this is fake progress for me.
    I would have preferred the important feature of UEFI, with 0 graphical capabilities, and a separated optional USB key with an open source cross vendor linux image dedicated to do the additional things that uefi allow:

- rgb software
    - fan graphs
    - connect to internet and download the new bios
    - whatever else is there

bobblunderton likes this.
  18. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I'm not too familiar with oem computers but i remember reading that some oem computers had their cpu downclocked because of improper cooling on both AMD and Intel.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    im curious to what this 100 enchantments/changes or what they want to call it are is there a list someplace?

I say this only cause those people imo shouldn't have pc to begin with Apple way safer for them and unless the are specifically pc gamer or want to pc game, in that case they better learn fast cause your not getting free support from me:p

20. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    I was expecting something like that, it's similar to previous Ryzen generations. Improvements are always welcome. :D