Microsoft® Surface® Laptop 3 Powered by the AMD Ryzen™ Microsoft Surface® Edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by D3M1G0D, Oct 2, 2019.

1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It looks like there was some validity to those Ryzen-powered Surface rumors.

https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ryzen-surface-edition
    https://community.amd.com/community...e-position-in-laptops-based-on-amd-technology

Embra likes this.
  2. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    I love my 1st gen Surface Laptop - use it daily. Best laptop keyboard ever.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Curious to see the differences with some of the components. The 13 Inch edition with the Intel 10 CPU is using Intel's built in WiFi - is the 15" AMD variant getting the same? What about battery life?

I'm probably going to end up getting the 15" but I don't want to be stuck with yesteryears wifi. Also it sucks that the Type-C isn't thunderbolt - was kind of hoping for a 90hz screen as well.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Definitely my next laptop is going to be the new Surface Laptop coming up.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.

5. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If they wanna be in the real mobile market again, they need a Surface Pro model. The upcoming pro model will be power by Intel, the "non-pro" model by qualcomm... C'mon AMD, do something!

6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think a 90 Hz screen would be too extreme for a thin-and-light laptop (battery power and all). I also feel iffy about having yesteryear's hardware, although with regard to the CPU - it'd be nice if this was a 7nm Zen 2 APU (I already have a 2400G and I'd like something a bit more next-gen for my next big purchase). I'll wait for official benchmarks and reviews to decide if it's worth it.

7. Looks good; I'll wait for now. I'm keen on the upcoming Surface Book 3; if it includes AMD+Thunderbolt, Ryzen Zen+ µarch/Zen 3. I'd be all over that!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2019
  8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I still find hard to see real consumer situation where devices saturate in real life an 802.11ac connection.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Honestly the bandwidth isn't much of a concern for me - the question is if it still uses a Marvell controller. The WiFi in both my Surface Pro 4 and multiple SB Gen 1 & 2's I've configured have been horrific. Plus it's just annoying that you're essentially paying more money but getting older technology.

Also neither model have thunderbolt despite the Intel processor supporting it natively.

11. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Yeah consumers don't do things like, idk, transfer files over WiFi or anything. AC can't even saturate the most basic gigabit NIC you can find.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CPU/GPU performance looks good compared to the SL2 with i7 but the WIFI and battery are terrible. The WiFi in particular is something I can't put up with - every surface device I've used has a god awful marvel wifi controller. I'm hoping the Intel variant fixes this as the Gen 6 WiFi is built into the SoC.

Microsoft continues to drop the ball on these devices.

13. Well, these are premium devices; at early stages of production could have defaulted Intel AC 9260 160MHz. Prior to launch thrown in an upgrade path to Intel AX200 Cyclone Peak.

No idea on the disassembly of these devices but if they're M.2 I'd recommend asking MS if swapping your WiFi will void your Warranty. When I worked for Razer; I wouldn't void a customer's Warranty if they'd sent me a unit with swapped HDDs/SSDs/RAM/M.2 devices, WiFi NICs etc... company policy supported that. We'd honor/cover whatever hadn't been "modified" or "touched" but warn about the rest.