Can this card effectivly game using my ASUS 2k monitor?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Pigchild, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    Tonight I'm considering placeing my order for this Video card:
    MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GDRR6 256-bit VR Ready Graphics Card (RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO)
    Yes, I am fully aware that even with my i5 Ivy bridge running with a cool and stable over clock that my CPU is dated and lacking the effeciency and speed of current i5 and i7 CPU's, but I can now get this card for only $600 bucks after tax and with free shipping which would be a good start to my "eventual" MOBO, CPU, and RAM updates. I can afford to do those upgrades after the 1st of the year. The question being is if with my Ivy i5 and 8Gb of DDR3 RAM @ 2133Mhz can I effectivly run my 2K monitor with most in game options set to at least high at full resolution? If not then I will wait until after the 1st to upgrade GPU with a current socket Z rated MOBO and fast DDR4 RAM.

Even with 2 GTX660Ti cards in SLI i can not effectivly game with this 2K monitor. In fact now, even with my previous 1080 monitor many games we're below 30FPS at medium settings because my 2 old GTX 660's are ready for retirement. (It's almost a shame I must get rid of my great rock solid old school MSI full ATX Z rated MOBO and 2 DDR3 Gskill RAM sticks because they have been so very reliable.)

Also: please offer me any cost effective ideas and potential advice you may have that might be better than what I'm thinking to do now for only $600 bucks.
    Thanks.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Card will run fine. The bottleneck from the CPU won't be too bad.

3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    airbud7 likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Ivy 5 with a 4c/4t and 8gb ram you want to pair with a 800$ gpu is not a that great idea.

Cant you just get a rx5700xt for 400$ and other 400$ spend on a r5 3600/16gb and some b450 board. Now thats a smart idea.

jbscotchman likes this.

5. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    You want to upgrade your CPU, 4c/4t isn't good enough and you will run into issues when you multitask.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The 2080 is easily enough for 1080p.
    I've been using the 1080ti at 1440p and UHD which at stock is marginally slower than the 2080ti (oops, I mean 2080), it has been great.
    1080p gets silly framerates.
    The only downside of the 2080 (at that price) is 8GB of ram if you decide to use it at UHD res later.

4c/4T CPU will cause you some issues.
    See how bad it affects you, you will no doubt live with it for a while.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  7. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I see. Thanks for all the tips. All good options, but I might go with the 2070 super that was proposed here. For $500 it seems on par with the 2080 I listed and later upgrade to latest gen i5 or i7.

airbud7 and jbscotchman like this.
  8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    That's a fair conclusion @Pigchild
    Don't count out the new Ryzen 3000 CPUs as an upgrade, even the $200 R5 3600 should easily keep up with that GPU.

9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    1440p is commonly referred to as 2k.
    If you want to play the semantics game, 1080p ain't 2k either, it's 1.9k, and 4k ain't 4k, it's 3.8k.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Just call it QHD. 2k is a dumb trend started by forum users. 4k is never confused for anything else.

11. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I held off and ordered the MSI RTX 2080 Super variant tonight. I had an Amazon saved credit of 60 bucks so it was $685 which is a pretty good price on that higher end GPU. This will be sort of a test at first with my I5 at 4.4Ghz with only 4c - 4t and 16Gb of RAM @ 2133Mhz because I fell upon a killer deal on an ASUS 28" 2160p 4K gaming 1ms monitor for only $235 bucks. It's a referb ASUS model # MG28UQ. Only problem I see is that the monitor is set at 60Hz. The 1ms response time should be great, but not sure about FPS gaming on it at 60Hz. I risk nothing because if by chance my trusty Ivy Bridge is not up to the task of effectivly gaming at 2160 resolution then later my plan was to upgrade CPU, RAM and MOBO anyway. (At $235 I had to take a risk on that 4k monitor because even if it's just "ok" then I lost very little at that low a price for an ASUS 4k gaming monitor.) It will be interesting to see if this heavy card can do 2160 with my outdated i5 CPU. It might and if not then I upgrade CPU and go SLI with second 2080 Super. Ha! It will be funny if my bench scores and 4k gaming are good with my outdated CPU! At least it will be interesting to see how it does:)

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Enjoy the monitor. It's a 28" TN, panel is only made by 1 OEM, and used by everyone. Samsung it's the UE590/UE510, etc. I have this one. If your OSD has Group Viewing mode, enable it. It'll fix the viewing angles issue common to TN panels.

13. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    Thanks for the tip. I would have liked an IPS monitor, but it’s a small fortune to find one that’s fast for gaming. I hope the color isn’t too bad on this TN or else I will have regrets even trying to attempt 4K gaming. Does color and view angle improve on these 4K monitors if you back off in game resolution settings?

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Viewing angles are unaffected because nothing changes when it comes to the pixels, no matter what resolution you choose. An LCD monitor always runs at one single resolution. Anything you feed it will be scaled to the panel's resolution.

Color gets worse if you use lower resolutions due to the scaling algorithm, unless the display uses a good scaling filter, or you counteract the effect with a sharpening filter. Fortunately, this effect is much less pronounced on 4K displays with high DPI compared to lower DPI displays.