So you want to buy a 65" TV. Which one do you choose & why?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DocStrangelove, Jul 15, 2019.

1. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    So i'm currently moving into my new home with a biiig living room and try to decide whether to go for a great LED or OLED.

I thought this would be easy tbh - you just go for Samsung and thats it right?

Nope :p

There are ppl on Amazon describing forced ADs when using the smart TV apps on the latest QLED models.

So i'm thinking Panasonic TX-65GXW904 UHD 4K or LG OLED 65C8LLA.

With OLED you risk burn-in and need a dark room.
    With LED you have greyish blacks and colors when looking from a side angle and local dimming with shiny auras around bright objects.

Argh! :p

airbud7 likes this.
  2. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    OLED FTW. Burn-in is basically a non issue anymore unless you actively purposefully try to burn an image in.

DocStrangelove likes this.
  3. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    I went for an OLED, it's gorgeous. OLEDs can be pricey though Samsung's QLED TVs are cool too. The only thing I don't like about Samsung is that they do not support Dolby Vision HDR. There is an HDR format war going on. LG supports DV and HLG; Samsung supports HDR10+; both support regular HDR.

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    You can always add a Roku (etc) for the smart functions (if ads are annoying). I've never been terribly impressed with native smart functions from any brands I've used (Vizio, LG & Samsung, mostly). The dedicated boxes always seem to work better, faster and have more features. I also bought a few amazon fire sticks and I don't recommend those. Horrible layout and it always wants to display the amazon content more prominently.

As to all the other features, I'm too cheap to pay more than $1000 for any TV so my opinions on that aren't helpful.

5. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080
    I bought OLED almost 2y ago and every time I come from longer trips I am reminded how much better it looks than the other TVs.

It isn't perfect and I have some annoyances with it.

Probably the biggest is that the screen isn't perfectly uniform and what I have heard it is bigger issue with 65" than 55".(I have 55") There is many variations about uniformity issues, blue,gray,dimmer etc.. but in my case my screen has yellowish tint except in one spot at upper area of the screen. You can notice it in snowy scenes in some movies but not always.

When displaying something on completely white background you can notice the brightness jumping up and down witch is annoying. But I have never noticed it in movies or series, only in some commercials with white background and popping info bubbles.(using 40% brightness, expert dark room preset)

But when you play HDR movie and it has black sky with bright stars, it is instant eyegasm. :D

6. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    I wanted to report back here - i went for the OLED and oh boy was it worth every penny !

The picture looks amazing. It's already amazing with Blurays, but when i watched Jack Ryan in 4K i had my mouth open all the time. You can see every single hair on ppl or other details like small stones on the ground.

Burn in shouldn't be a problem for me since i dont watch news channels for hours on end. Also, when playing RDR2 i switched off the hud elements - they only come up in a certain situation when needed now. Great game, can't wait to play it on PC.

Also just fixed my PS4 because of the disc eject bug. Hope that i did it and this fix is not just temporary.

airbud7 likes this.
  7. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Cheap Nvidia shield for smart functions is a good choice / addition.

pimpernell likes this.
  8. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    yea^ cool stuff....I went in Costco's the other day and watched a 75-inch OLED and holey sh*t, I felt like I was in a theater....you done good...me want one too.

9. What is your budget? i would get a TCL 65R625 for 799.99......but I am not one to watch much or spend much on a TV. If i was so inclined to spend some change on it, I would get a Samsung QN65Q70RAFXZA ......put one in the other day for someone on a media system, and man was it a nice looking TV. $1397.99 on that one.

10. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Samsung has no OLEDs afaik but that is everyone's choice of course. I love the fact ppl can see deep shadows and awesome colors no matter what angle they're watching from.

airbud7 likes this.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I bought last years Samsung Q9FN for 2 reasons.
    1) No burn in and a warranty against it. I dont want to watch my back all the time with content that has a banner/watermark and to game as long as I like.
    2) Great HDR at 2000Nits. I also use fake HDR (HDR+) for normal material, it really works well. My Dad was wowed by it watching TV he bought one as well.
    I get a stress free experience with no risk of damage and havent noticed a problem with viewing angle from the 3 middle seating positions.
    The picture quality and access times are fantastic.

OLED cannot do HDR justice unfortunately.
    They barely scrape 500Nits HDR peak except with 10% and 2% windows, not enough to see the lower Nit HDR movies how the director intended. Worse on higher Nit mastered movies.
    And they only achieve that bright with an additional white OLED which unfortunately means colour volume is lost.
    Even with that, ABL is excessive to prevent burn in. This dims the whole image to allow HDR to show enough difference.

I'm not against OLED but for me, the limitations make it unsuitable.

ps I dont use the TVs smart apps, my Humax satellite receiver fills in for online stuff.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.
  12. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    I may be weird, but i prefer the picture of ips and they are on the cheaper side and work better in my opinion on old shows.

insp1re2600 likes this.