New C++ Installer released [Hassle free uninstaller/reinstaller]

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by CPC_RedDawn, Sep 30, 2014.

1. ppdemo

ppdemo Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    Could someone upload the previous installer v56 please? I'd be really grateful.

2. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Undying likes this.
  3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    updated OP

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I never can understand why this and dx isnt a part of windows already. update repository is really crap on windows. they should look how linux handles it.

oh and thx for the updates :D

Undying and LocoDiceGR like this.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    DX is a part of Windows, June 2010 bundle is for Win7 which was developed and deployed with older version. On Win8 and Win10 you don`t need to install DX bundle(s).
    As for VC redistributables, new versions keep coming and OS itself doesn`t need them. App developers are responsible for providing needed bundles. OS provides global place for them, but developers can also install dll-files locally near the exe-file, and developers can also decide to not use dll-files at all (linking exe-file statically with needed libraries).

Undying likes this.
  6. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Im pretty sure i needed DX installation on win8 when a game wouldnt run , cant remember which one though.
    DirectPlay is also not a part of Windows 10 , like earlier versions of .Net. Some applications of games i use need them, so i always get asked to install them.
    I always like to keep up to date with things. On linux I never get asked do i need this or that when updating, it just updates everything. much easier.
    On windows there are no standards set, so developers are doing what they feel like, which makes it annoying to have the extra bloat coming when you download stuff whether it be applications or games.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You are a geek user - that`s it. For normal user the main thing is the error-free work of application, not the bloatness of the application. And how comes that Linux updating just everything is not a bloat?

PS The approach of common libraries (dynamically loaded and stored globally) has problem universal for all platforms - you have to be sure that all apps are compatible with globally stored versions of libraries. Easiest solution is to not use dynamically loaded libraries at all - to build app with needed libraries statically.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  8. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    you wont see Linux downloading files double, it already knows which files it has and which version. Something many windows installers do not know.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Which is relevant only for 40GB SSDs. And of course if app installer (in Windows) installs dll-files globally there will be no several folders in WinSxS of the same version.

Btw, DirectInput and .Net Framework 2.0 need no standalone installers since they are installable through Programs and features:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  10. ppdemo

ppdemo Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080

11. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Well im against having multiple double files, especially when they are already installed. Size is not the thing, but a computer needs to be organized since its automatic.
    I have had also cases where i had to uninstall vcredist first before i could install a program / app because it would not accept my already installed one. same goes for directx in the past (with default os directx) .

The net installer is true, but not every install re-directs to programs and features, so not so tech savy people end up downloading it from the internet instead of going through programs and features.

It was my point that installs on windows is a mess while on linux its more coordinated, where you wont end up having the examples i mentioned.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    These legacy .Net and DirectPlay are not in the section of Programs and Features where installed apps are listed. They are in the dialog which pops up on clicking the link "Turn Windows features on or off" on the left pane of Programs and Features. Not all users know about that dialog, but we see that OS considers them as its (optional) parts.

I understand your preference concerning dll-files. I will agree that OS must keep all dll-files needed for OS itself in order. But when it comes to 3rd party apps I don`t understand why they even use standard library dll-files at all - we don`t need to place apps onto tiny diskettes; any deleted dll-file will break installed app; and even dll-file of the different version can break an app. I practically do not use C/C++ in development of tools nowadays, but when I have to I always do apps statically linked to VC libraries.

WhiteLightning likes this.
  13. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
  14. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Thanks man. :cool:

15. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    Undying and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
  17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Updated OP with new v0.27.0 dated January 22nd 2020

Undying likes this.
  18. Im_Special

Im_Special Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070 6GB
    Latest 2019 is 14.25.28508.3, you list in the OP 14.24.xxx.

19. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    Undying likes this.