AMD delayed Ryzen 9 3950X launch due to unsatisfactory clock speeds?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Deleted member 271771 likes this.
  2. I would really like to have one of these....I'd take 4.4

3. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    My 3900x is reaching max boost in "idle", but if it's under load of any kind, the max singlecoreboost is way lower. Max boost is like 2ms

Using ABBA 2.1 bios with Asrock x570.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I did some testing the other day on 3700X but it was fine really. ASrock v1.7 ABBA BIOS.

Can you try a 1 thread Cinebench run and monitor with HWinfo?

Btw you need to cover your bases when testing, nothing running in the background and remove your LAN cable so that Windows isn't dong stuff in the background that can invoke threading.

5. yeeeeman

yeeeeman Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    3900X is already reaching 4.7Ghz for some users on ABBA bios, so no problem for them to get 4.7Ghz for 3950x. Hence this news is not relevant...
    We know from multiple sources and official announcements that TSMC has troubles keeping up with demand so 3950X not launching now is just common sense. It would have been a paper launch.

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I wonder what this refers to. I just recall a Digitimes sourced news from a week ago, saying: "The lead time for production of 7nm chips at Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) has extended to nearly six months from the previous two months because of strong demand, according to industry sources." In other words, the production lines are so full that TSMC will tell you to come back in six months if you need something made. So, if AMD wanted more stuff than previous agreed (for example because they aren't getting as large a portion of high clocking units as they expected), it's possible TSMC simply can't help them at all without a considerable delay.

7. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    The first time I heard about the delay of the 3950X the first thing that came to my mind was that they have issues reaching the clock speeds. I guess my thought was correct then, or was it?

8. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    - or - if in doubt press the "update firmware" button .;)

9. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    This whole PBO/self boost system from AMD seems flawed. I'm keeping my 3700X @ 4.3 ghz all time at a very low 1.25 V. I didn't even try it to take it lower. I'm getting better temps, both idle and load and better scores in all the benchmarks I've tried.
    With PBO or stock settings, the CPU voltage goes as far as 1.5 V and it's hotter, performs worst and has like 4.1 ghz maximum all cores boost and that with the beefiest air cooler on the market.

10. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Any recommended software or monitoring tool to see the boost speed of a CPU for testing purposes? I'll be doing the firmware update this weekend and I'd like to do a before and after test.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ryzen master.

12. Ziffer

Ziffer Guest

GPU:
    RX 6900XT RedDevil
    Am I the only one thinking, that AMD could have released a 3920X (for example) with 16c/32t and a max boost clock of 4,4-4,5 GHz for 600-675$, which will be sold out in days? If they really have issues with clock speeds, they could have easily done that, mentioning something like, ok we will delay 3950X, but in order to satisfy (or whatever sweetened version they come with) enthusiasts we will introduce bla bla and so on. Just my thought on this.

13. neikosr0x

neikosr0x Active Member

GPU:
    Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333mhz
    HWiNFRO64 Works just fine.

if you are gaming STOCK would work just better. My 3900x gets 4.550 on most games and typically 4.275 / 4.30 across all cores in all games. but almost half of the CPU clock over 4.4ghz

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Try single threaded apps.

Here is my 3800X on AB BIOS
    [​IMG]

15. R V

R V Guest

GPU:
    Vega
    "To date, however, there has been no word given as to what the reason is behind the delay. We did ask, but there was no answer to that question."

That is the ONLY TRUE THING written. The rest was all BS.

16. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    AC Odiseey gets a better score with 4.3 ghz OC, then with STOCK/PBO. Maximum clock achieved with my CPU single threaded is 4.375 ghz. I prefer to loose those extra 75 mhz for lower temperature and voltage really. Probably I'm loosing like 1 fps in some situations, so I don't care.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  17. Iridanos

Iridanos Guest

GPU:
    Nitro Plus 7900XTX
    That sucks!!! I was patiently waiting to get the 3950X so I can build my first Ryzen PC but I'm getting disappointed from you AMD

18. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    To me this sounds just like a Tabloid story with missing facts and all on hearsay.
    A story I think you shouldn't be publishing.

On another note, I heard AMD were delaying it because they were all drunk and forgot about actually making this processor - source from inside AMD's headquaters.

19. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Good, delay it rather than push out a faulty product. This should be the case for all things.

airbud7 likes this.
  20. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    You can't even buy a 3900X anywhere right now, it is not surprising a 3950X which needs even better bins is not doable yet. I think their initial batches didn't bin as well as they were expecting.