PC industry receives partial exemption from US import duties - Videocards included

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Huh. I thought the Americans would get to taste the European levels of PC component prices, but I guess not. I wouldn't have guessed Trump was a PC enthusiast.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    One could think EU is in a trade war as well considering the prices and different added taxes.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  4. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Seeing a 599$ price on a news article only to remember that it translates into 750 euros at best.

5. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    In europe we are in trade war, everyone with his/her own state.
    Applying a 22% tax in italy to the end consumer, that is buying some goods with money that have already been taxed, is just crazy.

you earn 100 before tax
    you get 50 after taxes ( around )
    you can buy goods that cost 41 because when vat is added, you are at 50.

geogan and Dragam1337 like this.
  6. No one has that easy livin eh... maybe the Aussies?

Edit: or erm hmm.... Canada seems stable... but they say the grass is always greener. I did enjoy my 1 year visa in Australia though. Great country

7. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    *laughs in 'Murican*

[​IMG]

Brasky likes this.
  8. Slammy

Slammy Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7800GTX
    You guys in europe gotta pay for all that "free" stuff yall get somehow AHHAHAH

9. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    ..while not so long ago, it used to usually translate to about 1:1 or even less-ish.

Dragam1337 and 386SX like this.

10. I would love to see you not have to deal with BS pricing. Come on down to the US, lots of good jobs to be had. Just come legally, and we are happy to have you, one and all.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2019
  11. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I'm all for ending the trade war, unilaterally if need be, but this is just weird... doesn't it defeat the entire purpose of imposing tariffs to begin with?

I get that "can cause 'serious economic damage' to American industry" is an issue but that's also, well, the point. Reducing the import and consumption of tariff-laden goods by making it more expensive for consumers, via importing companies, to purchase said items.

At this point isn't the US effectively hurting their agricultural sector, through the Chinese tariffs, for no purpose as Chinese goods get to flow in as usual?

I suppose I could see an argument for the particular exemptions being more consumer-focused and a relatively small market (compared to say, server-grade components) but, IIRC, memory is also exempt and that must surely be a big market. As I have no insight into how this plays out for big OEMs vs. consumer imports though I couldn't say either way. I feel it would be an uncharacteristically measured consideration given the mess this is though. :(

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Delete

13. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    To support this trade war and the orange one, one has to be brain dead. I do not understand how these brain dead people can be PC enthusiasts considering it's still a geeky hobby for critical thinkers. You can build a PC but you can't figure out the charlatan is clueless and corrupt? That makes absolutely no sense to me. But whatever...

14. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    That pretty much sums it up, yes. It's driving up prices of essentials like food, while leaving consumer goods untouched. In the end, it's like the lobster in the pot - if iPhones suddenly went up by 25% across the board people would be pissed, but having the cost of food slowly creep up as farmers struggle to stay alive, they don't notice until they start to be unable to eat and pay rent, and by then its too late to do anything.

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    That's how Canada has always been. The money you make gets taxed, then they tax you again when you buy something, then when you file your taxes they tax you some more because you made negative $10000 that year so therefore you have to pay more. Also they add a fee and not call it a tax so they can tax the tax. So I'm not surprised to hear another western country has the same.

airbud7 and icedman like this.
  16. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I love that u always say exactly what I'm thinking when these types of conversations come up.

17. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Love how 1st world people whine about prices.

You haven't had it rough, you have it easy.

sverek, airbud7 and schmidtbag like this.
  18. anthos

anthos Guest

GPU:
    -
    Yes, every single person in the "1st world" is living the life.

19. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Not trying hard enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.