Is my R9 270 toast?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Simon911, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Simon911

Simon911 Guest

GPU:
    R9 270
    My pc powered off in the middle of a game and Windows 10 went into repair diagnostic mode on reboot and could not resolve. Safe mode was fine. After much time and effort including stripping down every component of the pc, reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch on fresh formatted drive and even doing the same with a Windows 7 install from scratch and trying older drivers for both, I am wondering whether my graphics card is now faulty after 4 years of working well. As soon as I install any gpu driver, new or old on either os, my pc won't boot, it just hangs. It will run all day in safe mode. Temps are fine and every fan, heatsink and crevice has been cleaned and all hardware reseated. I was thinking PSU, but cannot test it. It's an EVGA G2 750 gold. It seems to be giving power to the GPU and the fans are running....

2. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Does sound like the graphics card rather than the PSU.

3. Simon911

Simon911 Guest

GPU:
    R9 270
    Thanks Jagman, it was indeed the graphics card. I plugged in an eBay used Sapphire RX 570 today and all good. Decent cheap performance upgrade too for an older budget pc. My 13 year old son is well pleased! Ran some GPU stress tests and all good so far.

4. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Nice upgrade. RX570 is a good 1080p card for a reasonable price (unlike many others)