Hard choice between I5 9400f and Ryzen R5 3600

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Halulam, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Halulam

Halulam Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX1060 6GB
    Hello,

Coming from an I5 4570/8GB RAM, I want to upgrade my CPU/MB/RAM combo, and with my tight budget (around +-400 €) it's very hard for me to make a compromised choice, for the following reasons:

The I5 is like 100 € cheaper, equivalent B360 motherboards are around 40 € cheaper (for example the ASROCK B360M PRO4 is way cheaper than the TUF B450M PRO GAMING), it can achieve its maximum performance with any 2666 MHz RAM,

Plus with the spare money I can buy a decent Air cooler for the CPU, as I am fed up using Intel stock cooler after so many years of ears torturing, I can even buy a new case if the need arise.

In the other hand the Ryzen has like 30% more performances, but we don't have much choice in term of cheap B450 motherboards (the cheapest is the GIGABYTE B450 DS3H ), Non compatible out of the box, with “better than intel” but insufficient stock air cooler, and the mandatory expensive 3200 RAM for adequate performances...

This CPU make much more sense for my usage as I am starting as a graphic designer with some gaming in my free time, so for software like blender it should wipe the floor with the I5 9400f, tho I can’t imagine how hot it will get when rendering, so a better cooling solution is a must have, which is not possible with my current budget.

So to summarize I could save like 150 € if I go for the I5, so I am hesitating since I don't know if the Ryzen better performances are worthy of the big price gab.

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    To be honest, I'd rather buy used 4770K or 4790K and overclock it.
    You will get 8 threads (4 cores) and much higher clock speed. With it you probably gonna be GPU bound anyway.
    Get overclockable broadwell CPU, safe money, invest into GPU, get better frames.

See how 4790K compares to modern CPUs for gaming:

[​IMG]

However, if you plan to do more blender work than gaming, you should consider getting Ryzen CPU with 8 cores (16 threads).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Halulam likes this.
  3. I agree with sverek, if your budget is super tight, no shame in using refurbished or used parts. Where are you ordering from? I'd be happy to poke around for some deals, but i must confess that i am pretty spoiled to newegg and amazon being in the US.

Halulam likes this.
  4. Halulam

Halulam Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX1060 6GB
    Thanks for the suggestions! :)

I am from **** hole called north africa, and there isn't much choice when you want to buy new hardware, here the main three hardware retailers :

https://www.geekzonedz.com/
    http://www.itec-alg.com
    http://www.weltinfoalgerie.com/

For the used market maybe I can get my hand on a Ryzen 2600x which is slightly more expensive than the I5, but anyway fast expensive ram are needed in this case, and I don't put much trust in the used market as people tend to lie alot about their past usage or the product state, plus I am keeping this combo for the next 5 years, so new products should give me more reliability, after all it's my working tool first and foremost.

At first I wanted to upgrade my system RAM because 8GB of RAMS aren't nearly enough for 3Dcoat, but lately new DDR3 are quiet expensive, so it doesn't make much sens for me buying 2x4GB DDR3 for the price of 2x8GB DDR4, that's why I wanted to change the whole platform so I can have more upgrade choice in the future.

and to add I have an MSI B85 motherboard, so there is no way I can overclock an already aged old I7 if I can find one with a decent price (so far it's more expensive than a modern R5 3400 APU).

For my usage, productivity performance come first, for gaming I am fine if the CPU can keep +60 fps's in most of them.

5. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    If its for work first, then go for the 3600/X.
    The extra threads will be very useful in Blender, etc.
    As for heat, Intel and AMD are about equivalent. AMD's stock coolers are actually pretty good.
    A lot better than Intel's Boxed coolers, anyway.
    The cooler I got with the 2700 was perfectly fine for it.
    The cooler with the 3800X was a lot bigger, with heatpipes, but also a slightly louder fan.

Halulam likes this.
  6. You could use ddr4-3000 without sacrificing much. The price between it and 2666 doesn't seem too bad. Don't forget to check eBay.

7. Halulam

Halulam Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX1060 6GB
    @Evildead666 it's ok if I pair it with 2x8 2666 RAM ?

and most importantly what's the best b450 motherboard I can get for this CPU, I have the following choices :

- ASUS TUF B450M-PRO GAMING
    - ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING
    - ASUS PRIME B450M-K
    - ASUS TUF B450-PRO GAMING
    - GIGABYTE B450 AORUS M
    - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H

8. Halulam

Halulam Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX1060 6GB
    which is better ? 2666 cl15 or 3000 cl16 ?

9. For similar money, i would go for the 3000. Cas 16 is workable for sure.

10. Halulam

Halulam Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX1060 6GB
    Even tho I can save 30 € and buy an CM evo 212 cooler for the cpu ?

I mean I can get those 30 € cheaper than the most affrodable 3000 mhz RAM :

[​IMG]

vs the 3000 mhz :

[​IMG]

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hi,

Get this model
    ASUS TUF B450-PRO GAMING

Also agree on ram, 3000-3200mhz would be ideal.

Wraith cooler is quite effective, but I also heard that it can limit high ram speeds.. The cpu heats and can't handle its max cpu boost (probably ram controller). Apparently it is ok with 2666-2800 ram.

Edit: this was by ryzen 1xxx and 2xxx models, idk about 3000 anymore.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Halulam likes this.
  12. Its your call. If you are not going to overclock, then i would get the faster ram and use the stock cooler. If you are going to oc, then get the cooler. You can probably oc the memory close to 3000.

Halulam likes this.
  13. Halulam

Halulam Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX1060 6GB
    @-Tj- what about the the ASUS TUF B450M PRO GAMING ? it's a little bit cheaper.

@SweenJM I won't touche the overclocking, the CPU is already pushed to its limit out of the box, I prefer to invest into a better cooling solution so it can sustain high clock.

So it's ok to go for the Ryzen 3600 + ASUS TUF B450M PRO GAMING + 2x ADATA 8G 3000MHZ ?

or Ryzen 3600 + GIGABYTE B450M DS3H + 2x ADATA 8G 3000MHZ + cooler master hyper212 black edition ?

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    But its micro atx form factor, it might have more heat issues and less conections in general, also tight by cooler space.

Halulam likes this.
  15. Halulam

Halulam Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX1060 6GB
    I see.. damn even the PCIe x1 is strangely placed, the rear connectors shroud is blocking it !

Thanks guys for your help, I hope I won't find any issue running it on a b450 motherboard.

-Tj- likes this.

16. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    You can pair it with 2666 Ram, it will just not be as fast as with Faster Ram :)
    Which is just logical.
    2666C15 vs 3000C16 is going to be close, but the faster memory will generally win.
    Its just a case of, by how much ? Is it worth the extra money?

Looking at all the boards there in the list, only the Asus Tuf B450/B450M PRO Gaming have heatsinks on all of the VRM's.

I bought the B450M PRO Gaming , and have tried it with a 3800X and the heatsinks seem to do their job well.
    They get good airflow from both of the stock coolers (2700 and 3800X).

edit : I got microATX because I needed it, if you don't need microATX, get a Full ATX board. ;)

Halulam likes this.
  17. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    If its between these two, the Asus Board.
    The VRM cooler on the Gigabyte board is pretty small, and the SoC VRM doesn't have any.

Halulam likes this.
  18. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    i would like to add that, when looking for ram, if you find a 2666 or 2800 kit that is rated for 1.2v, it will almost certainly do 3000mhz without issue @ 1.35v, provided you're willing to tune the timings yourself.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Halulam likes this.
  19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    MSI B450 Mortar MAX is a splendid board, has everything you need and slightly better VRMs.
    That's for uATX
    For ATX, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX.
    Also very good board with even better VRMs.
    The MAX label ensures that those boards are shipped with a new BIOS fully supporting the newest Ryzen 3X00.
    And MSI has the latest AGESA already for download on their support page, if you feel adventurous.
    What's even better, the price on those are around $100, or below , depending on the model.

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS16G4D32AESB is a 16 GB RAM kit rated 3200 CL 16 sold around $70-80.
    Supported on the QVL on both MSI boards.

Halulam likes this.
  20. Halulam

Halulam Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX1060 6GB
    @Evildead666 luckly I have an old and ugly enermax case which has two air intake right in front of the motherboard, I have already installed an 120mm cooler master fan for heat extraction, so I think small heatsinks isn't going to be a problem no ? :

[​IMG]

@user1 the Teamgroup vulcan are rated 1.2v, so maybe it's a better buy ?

@anticupidon No MSI AMD motherboard in sight, I don't know whats happening here but no one are importing them :(.