Windows 10: Latest update to patch issues is causing problems with multi-channel sound in games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 17, 2019.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    half the time its seem like the problems are wide spread cause the people with issue are vocal ones and ones with no issue tend to have no reason to say anything, then you have the people that have problems that say nothing cause either they dont know where to go to be heard or they know even if they say something nothing will change.

Of all the times I installed windows 10 on dozen of computers , I have to have 1 install that didnt go sideways sortly there after because of some bug or issue introduced by "updates" Which why none of my personal PC have "home" and never will pro let tell windows when it ok to download for most part.

2. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @JOHN30011887
    not sure if he didnt use win before, but 7 already did that. called auto folder view discovery.
    been using win tweak tools to turn it off (again, since 7), so not sure why that is an issue you think a company is gonna waste time/money to fix, when its not really a "problem/error" that causes win to misbehave.

@tsunami231
    and one minute searching the net will tell you that you can set network to metered, and win stops auto dl of updates.
    glad you bought pro for that ;-)

Except for the cortana/search issue i had no problems with 10 or its updates,
    except for the stupid "make it look like 95" design or that stuff is in different spots now (settings),
    or that options/dialogs arent like they used to be (right click on taskbar stuff like audio/power),
    but got it all fixed with classic shell and other win 10 tweakers.

there is enough other crap that can cause issues with win, so i do images every other week or so,
    and usually before updating win/drivers, so anytime it acts up, im back to previous state within 5 in. and this since XP, not just 10.

anyone in this forum should (and be able) to do the same, so some here whining about an update messing up "your" machine, is like a nasa rocket scientist not putting on safety goggles before showing a chem reaction to a class... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  3. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well, Windows 10 update only recently improved our control over updates. It prompts you before installing, and you can delay the update by 7 days or something, which is an easy to see option for the user. So they've actually given us more control over the last months. I agree they should do better QC testing though before releasing it on the unsuspecting masses!
    Yeah, I don't have any sound issues, but I'm only using stereo too. Generally not had any issues with Windows 10 on my desktop and laptop.

4. GreenAlien

GreenAlien Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 OC
    Urgh.. can't open the info center, can't right click any of the elements in the Taskbar except "Start".. Start only works as long as I don't install the previous update... so not only was that bug not fixed, they introduced additional ones...

5. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    so how much people getting this issue ?
    even 1% of win10 user is already many...

this problematic windows10 update being report by several people, this is sign that the issue isnt "limited"
    such business-enviroment, precaution is needed because we want to make sure there wont make down-time

in addition microsoft themself acknowledging the issue regarding multi-channel-audio :
    Microsoft has received reports that audio in certain games is quieter or different than expected after installing this update. At the request of some of our audio partners, we implemented a compatibility change that enabled certain games to query support and render multi-channel audio. Due to customer feedback, we are reverting this change as some games and some devices are not rendering multi-channel audio as expected. This may result in games sounding different than customers are used to and may have missing channels.

whether u hold the update or take a risk with update, its ur choice....
    what is nice is that u already get warned beforehand

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    you tell that to clean install of win 1809 where Meter connection dont work right, it set to metered and it dont stop download, and if you bother to do more searching like your telling me to you would know there people over at tenfourms that saying the something that metered is not work on one "home" system but working on another "home" system. so no metered is not reliable means to stop updates especially when it dont work like it said too. And i installed home twice on this system to see if something went stupid with install or CU and so far and metered still dont do what it should be doing. it might stop the daily WU checks but dont stop the auto downloads and installed when it does check. The solution to this issue for alot people there was to use third party programs to WU or disable WU all together, neither is good option for people with lil know how or will to deal with it like my uncle.

Like said the people that have no problem to have no reason to say anything let alone visit such forums and people that do know where to voice there issue probably wont cause it wont be heard.

why would forums or any place be filled with topics of It works great nothing wrong here? there no reason for them to voice any of that.

Just like I read many people saying stand in upgrades work fine and just many people claim it don't work right and there is always and issue with.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    probably about the same amount getting crashes in GOW5 on 436.30
    [​IMG]

Why wasn't it incorporated via the application compatibility layer?

8. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    how do you get that?
    I found a first version of the LTSB ( not ltsc right? ) is there a 2019 version? are the professional keys good for it?

9. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I had very good luck with previous updates for W10 on this laptop but this one really hosed it. The wired NIC is out to lunch and it will not recognize flash drives on the USB3 ports. Thankfully, the wireless NIC still works and my wireless mouse works on the USB2 port.

QA and testing have been completely lost at microsoft. I now consider the use of the M$ acronym for them to be entirely appropriate because they seem to be only concerned with their bottom line. If users mattered this kind of nonsense would not happen.

10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @tsunami231
    never said there arent any issue with win 10 updates etc., or that MS couldnt do a better job,
    and didnt expect you to take me serious stating that was you reason to get pro (vs home).

but i also have 10 (home) running a pretty new rig (cpu/board/ram) incl relatively young drivers,
    and even after tweaking stuff, have zero issues compared to my one year old install i had for 7.
    then i again, i dont use older versions, as 1903 is needed for the newer stuff im using hw wise.

my problem with some ppl in this forum (which arent using 500$ off the shelf gateway rigs),
    to see something like an update messing up stuff, happening once, not repeatedly.
    as any image done prior to installing updates (that are delayed, not just thru metered connection)
    will allow me to revert any changes that could cause problems, without the need to reinstall win.
    and even if a machine doesnt respect "your" settings (e.g. in still dl updates), use a tool/program to turn off win updates, and once new updates are out, do an image of the OS drive,
    turn win update on, update, if issues, restore back the image.
    and with an up to date rig (HW) as in ssd/nvme, it takes most likely less time to find/fix the cause.

i started doing stuff because of drivers, but it works the same with other things,
    and i guess i just expected users in this forum to be a bit more proactive..

11. P.O.N.

P.O.N. Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4080
    I think I have the issue, that may explain why I have to play GTA V with my volume at 40 instead of my usual 20. Using 5.1 channels onboard ASRock Z97 Extreme3

12. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Hm, I did notice that my rear speakers were hardly playing any sound and the subwoofer being perceived as louder (might just be because the rest of the speakers are quieter) than normal during gaming recently. I'll see if uninstalling the update fixes it.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This is a way in which the issue manifests.

14. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    I never had a single issue with windows 10, was i lucky?

15. Catspaw

Catspaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080/8GB
    I started using Win7 shortly after it came out and I have been resisting win10 for a few good years now.
    My dad keeps telling me how good win10 is. Except that 5 times in 1 year he had to take this laptop to be repaired because an update bricked his OS.
    One of the updates "coincidentally" managed to brick the OS AND right after the power brick failed.

95%+ chance its unrelated to the update, but I am not gonna GAMBLE my PC with the track record Microsoft HAS!
    Its like going to the doctor for a flu shot and getting told that 5% of the people who get it die 2 days later.
    I have 99.9998% chance to get the flu and be OK....

And for everyone that it is working fine: I am very, very happy that you can avoid this crap. (I had to work a while to get my win7 installed on my Ryzen 7 1700 and a few times I did hit a brick wall. But there is a VAST difference between installing something for 2 days because it is hard and having everything working fine only to fail the next time Microsoft pushes out an update).

16. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    omg why would you use optical with AE-9??? you just bypass the whole 200$ DAC PRICED Soundcard ??? and you are using the crap DAC of the logitech compared!

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the issue is in microsofts own code, not the drivers,

the change was to enable surround left/surround right remapping to sound cards that use the old multimedia 5.1 implementation which uses rear left and right rather than surround left and right.

18. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    For all we know he could have clicked on/installed something infected, doesn't mean its the OS.

I hated 10 for its gui and changes to layout, where/how stuff works etc, not so much with the OS itself, and after using some tools/tweaks i dont love it, but it works properly, and with regular backups, i can easily revert to a previous image, if an update messes it up.
    And in general, heard of less overall issues when talking to customers, compared to 7.

And try using win 7 for a ryzen 3xxx setup, and let me know how much time it will take you to get it to install, not even talking about running properly, or getting the drivers..

19. tyxeros

tyxeros Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1080
    Its all about drivers..... and driver optimizations.

20. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Wasn't the old 5.1 layout legacy since Windows 7? Anyway, my old xfi (titanium non-hd) still works on 5.1 with rear left/rights surround speakers without issues (never been able to select side channels configuration). I guess this is related to old cards with never updated drivers, but I never looked deeply on audio implementation on Windows...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019