Star Citizen - Squadron 42 - Upcoming PC Space Sim.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Major Melchett, Oct 10, 2012.

1. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Event with my dear org ver the week end :

cerebus23 likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    some big additions coming to 4.0 :D

3. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    A response filled with a combination of is that meant to be a rebuttal and if it is so what?

Only point worth noting is I am vaguely aware of who Derek Smart is and I hold him in the same regard I do Twitter, in that I couldn't give a flying f*ck about either of them

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    unfortunately whether you know or subscribe to him directly is irrelevant, most of what your 'information' entails is sourced back to things said, encouraged and riled up by the man.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I can't see the problem with this when their budget went from $500,000 to $200M+.

Could they have released some simple space sim years ago? Sure, but where is the fun in that. Instead they decided to go big and it's honestly starting to pay off. Ever since they added object container streaming (improved performance dramatically) I've been able to log a few dozen hours in with every subsequent patch doing random quests, deliveries, drug runs, pvp, exploring etc. I now have more hours in this game then probably 90% of the games in my steam library and I paid $45.

It's still extremely buggy, it still needs a lot of work, features, gameplay loops, etc but the promise of something great is shining through all the cracks and the last few patches is showing that more than ever.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    So any detraction about SC the answer is 'Derek Smart' ergo I don't have to talk about it... ok got it!

I mean how stupid is it to think that every single negative aspect, news, report, post, comment, thought and review of the game is because of Derek Smart?

Neither do I, but the irony is having people say the game has no feature creep when the reality is that the expanded goals or feature creep was so extensive they had to set up a separate sub division to build a separate game to accommodate it all.

7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Cept your factually wrong about "feature creep."

you can go back and look at the stretch goals that were funded and what is on the roadmap and there is nothing there "creep" wise.

what has gone on during development is a few things.

the scope switching up and chris roberts talking cross purposes and also being well highly optimistic with estimates, which is a large part of the reason why he stopped giving them.

the fact that the first 2 some years of development was largely working on scripts, building studios and staffs to do the work, beginning to set up work flows, and building early concept ships by the seat of their pants and doing it badly. the heavy lifting was all that and rewriting cryengine to have 64 bit precision this took about 2 years.

this early period was the hanger module and later on we would get arena commander to muck about with. and not much else went on.

once the engine rework was done then making the game started in earnest.

but this is when they were farming out work to contractors because they were still building internally and hiring people they could not do the work themselves. this is where the star marine debacle happened where CR ran his mouth about how star marine was just around the corner, and SOMETHING happened that all that work was scrapped and the reasons never discussed.

But that was the worst of that, as CIG got their studios set up, they took back more and more of the things they had contracted out brought back internally.

The most other cringe things were marketing stuff sandy and co getting too greedy.

most of the other stuff was click bait media garbage spun up partially because the publishers do not want this to succeed and the things got 200 million in backing and over 2 million individual supporters? well that is alot of angry fanbois you can draw the ire of if you trash their hopes and dreams. absolute gold.

HandR likes this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The main delay was the retrofitting of Container spaces to existing zones, and then going back to add them to all ships large enough to have doors between segments or the ship, for performance purposes.

This is what brought the game up from 12fps to a playable 45+ when other players were present in the area.

CIG has been very transparent with its development, with the hundreds of video's they have up now detailing bugs, things being worked on, delays and ship refinement.

The ship team is seperate, it cannot delay the world or tech teams.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Really cool video 0___0

It made me think of that Battlefield 3? was it 3? or was it 4... I forget.. the video where they do cool stunts in the jets, and the music used was massive attack if memory serves, I forget the name of that video.

*edit*

Found it! it was BF4 after all....

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I hear massive attack, i like, don't even need to watch any video. I'm a fan that's all.

11. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Not played the more recent ones, if though I own them - you know how it is sometimes lol
    ...though I Loved the helicopters in BF2, I really had those dialed to the point people would sometimes accuse me of cheating due to the crazy way I could make that thing move, Good Times <3

Seems like a perfect time to jump back into SC and catch up again, the fires are rekindled ^^ !

EDIT:
    and Oh! but the 890J is a pretty spectacular ship, starting to wish I had not passed up on getting one now...

I will console myself with thoughts of my Merchantman ...feeling slightly better again :)

12. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    3.8 carrack bored just put up a video looking great gonna be hard to decide to sit on my aquilia or ccu up the 100 ish more and get the carrack ;(

13. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Thanks for the tip, always excited for more Carrack news ^^

Out of my ships, it is probably going to be my main vehicle for small multicrew play and exploration.

cerebus23 likes this.
  14. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    i really hoping to win the one bored giving away this month but every time hes put one up i liked/commented and blah like mad :p.

snowballs chance in hell but i got lest 2 years to mull over any final ship decisions, if my buddy will speak to me i can maybe fly his carrack even if not i can grift one or shoot someone for one. :p

15. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    cerebus23 and Undying like this.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The shared missions should hopefully make the game more fun for friends. 3.8 - if all the features come - looks like it's going to be a pretty awesome patch too.

The progress this year has been outstanding.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

Xenthor is currently live XD

XenthorX and Undying like this.
  18. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    guess they close to getting full persistence between updates soon TM. that is big for a bunch of players.

games also looking more and more like a game that is exciting after all these 6 years lol.

but lets see the doom sayers come and say the end is nigh.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The end is nigh, its all doomed I say, DOOMED!

XenthorX and cerebus23 like this.
  20. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    eternally Doomed ?

cerebus23 likes this.