Windows 10: Latest update to patch issues is causing problems with multi-channel sound in games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 17, 2019.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    AV receiver.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    not really.

12on7 is not "end of development"
    other things will wind up ported back as desired by game developers.

it does affect the nvidia hd driver, and creative driver, but its specific games that end up being affected because it alters the way that multichannel hinting works.

i believe FH 4 sounds correct on the XFI now with this update (previously it couldn't speak FL:FR:C:SW:RL:RR and only FL:FR:C:SW:SL:SR) but it will of course be broken by the reversion.

3. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    But IHVs support them on newer hardware? Id bout it.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    is it doesn't matter what Vendors do with the driver to a great extent, if the feature is in hardware (and vulkan or opengl can see it) it can be exposed by 12on7.

5. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Have you noticed any audio dropouts during Windows Netflix App playback?

6. Dean_Demon

Dean_Demon Member

GPU:
    Titan RTX 24 GB
    Nice one Microsoft, i'm a musician so develope my own drivers and tools and are completely isolated from the OS so this issue doesn't effect me at all but i can't say the same for third party drivers but i can imagine this effecting many people and may effect streamers but not seen too many reports of this so far.

7. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    And here i am waiting for the day they fix the dam bluray drive bug, iv waited over 2 years now

When you change the file view to Tiles View, it simply doesn't stay on that view, it will always default back to Details View

Telling microsoft themselves is a huge waste of time as they do that copy and paste answers from a dam script and treat you like a kid that knows nothing about a pc
    Telling me to go to View tab, then options, then view again and then click apply to folders (like no fcking sh*t)

At least i found a temp fix
    A guy on tenforums called KeithM posted a "Default Folder View" used with powershell
    What it does is allows you to force a system wide View, so everything on the Pc will be whatever view you choose :)

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Its been put on compatability hold now, as its causing some Wifi problems too.

9. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Linux seems to not have as many structural problems and, lack of drivers aside, it works on more than only PCs.

Order_66 likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Using microsoft answers is "not" telling it to microsoft, the repliers are microsoft certified agents but aren't microsoft engineers or employee's.

use the feedback hub to log bugs.

they say nec, but my pce-68u broadcom card is losing internet too.

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Hey!...you just just wrote a catchy rap song dude! please keep working on it I'm sure it will be a hit big hit I tell ya!

:D

mbk1969 likes this.
  12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    No problems here.

13. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Oh well 1903 sure is a bumpy ride. No audio issues here but, i do have that start-search not working bug. At least cortana isn't eating the cpu alive, on this update. Progress :cool:

14. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    Reading through the first 20 posts, I see 1 user reporting this problem. 5 users reporting no problem. 14 users sharing thoughts/opinions. I know we all come to these sites for information and for community, but articles like this are so dramatic. The title is written as an absolute, which is misinformation. A more accurate title would be "Windows 10: Latest update patch is causing some users audio problems".

I also have no issue with this update.

You know people, Windows XP had updates. Windows 7 has/had updates. Windows 10 has updates. OS X has updates. iOS has updates. Android has updates. Ubuntu has updates, RHEL, Fedora, Mint, all have updates. Software has updates to add features and fix problems. It's ok, you'll be ok.

mbk1969 likes this.
  15. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Windows 10, the gift that keeps on giving.

16. Mateja

Mateja Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    is this like the last issue where none of my pc's will even be affected? or even have this patch installed? this whole the sky is falling in windows 10 thing is getting a little old. it's doing pretty well not only in my opinion, but in my experience (no significant problems the past year or few on 2 PCs and 3 laptops. although I did stop beta testing and only use the latest stable fork on all PCs now). I was absolutely amazed at how this ancient laptop was able to render 1080p video over hdmi recently--silky smooth at 60 fps. it used to be all blocky and slow. it's come a long way. also for some reason the sound has always seemed better than windows 7.

also I only use stereo sound anyway. and the dolby pro logic setting active on my AV receiver (called diff things on diff av receivers. PLII matrix, NE06, etc. it's the "surround" button--always on the remote control for me--that converts 2 channel to 5.1 or w/e u have--"direct" button to go back to unfiltered channels as they are if u don't like it)--to split it into 5.1 channels. i like the idea of the "sound virtualization" or as windows 10 calls it "spatial sound" or "windows sonic for headphones" … which i think are intended to encode 2 channel for this purpose, but i've noticed those can omit certain sounds after the AV decoding (Like in mortal kombat 10). 2 channel in the OS is fine (just like tv and game systems imo I do this same trick on those platforms. until everything is remastered in 7.1 sound or whatever this is the most consistent option unless you feel like clicking a button to optimize the channels with every single piece of media). this 2 channel decoded on your av receiver method works nicely on things that only had stereo design, and often 5.1 and beyond seems to sound better as well (yes it still takes the 5.1 setting in games etc. usually in direct mode 5.1 its bad sound design anyway and there's like everything on the center speaker and 1 or 2 sound effects on 2 or 4 of the satellite speakers which is annoying. this setting also decodes 2 channel bitstreaming to properly split into 5.1 if the sound design was that great anyway, or more appropriately splits up the sound if it is multi channel--and sorry if I butchered any of the AV lingo i'm no pro other than my bfa in animation and what I know sounds good and is universally easy).

has any single person commenting here even noticed this issue? was sound ever even coming out of your satellite speakers half the time? did u notice the previous '1 cpu core being hogged' one for that matter? do you even have KB4515384 or KB4512941 installed? probably just dw about this, again. lol ~ but maybe try these tips above for your surround sound if u want

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    mbk1969 likes this.
  17. Mateja

Mateja Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    lol

18. liesenberg

liesenberg Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    Running here the latest Windows 10 Update on a DP55KG ( ALC889 ) using toslink cable to a Sony STR-485DE with Dolby Digital Live and ProLogic II on.
    No problems so far.

On my HP Probook 440 G2 audio seems fine but I had problems with the August optional update and had to rollback it.

Off topic: Seems to me that older platforms are way less afected by many bugs than newer ones.
    Recently i had to formtat serveral PC's and Notebooks and have noticed that older devices show less bugs or at least are less suceptible.
    On the other hand sleep mode in windows 10 is broken for older devices, resluting in instant BSOD or BSODing 5 minutes after a comeback from sleep mode.

Best Regards,
    Will

19. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I have issues if I use my sound card but using AMD audio driver and plugging my speakers into my monitor there isn't an issue.

It only affects 3 games for me but it's 3 games me.and my room mates play together.

20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yeah, there are regularly threads on issues with Windows 10 updates, but I've never had any of them on any of the five PCs at home using Windows 10. By the looks of it, you'd think the majority of users are affected when it's anything but, and I have no concerns about performing updates.