Gears of War 5

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Doubt that renderers in UWP and steam versions differ that much.

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I have been enjoying this so much that i have had to stop myself and go and play through the 4th game first........so many games so little time. lol

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Easy Anti Cheat is in use and I don't think it's as easy to disable anymore so there's that as a possible compatibility issue but as long as EAC's game implementation is up to date Afterburner and Rivatuner should be allowed through though it can take time to whitelist the newest versions since the whitelist is a little file as part of the game data and gets updated whenever the game itself is patched.

EDIT: Hmm but no that shouldn't cause instability as EAC would reject the injection entirely so that's nothing thinking of it further.

EDIT: What else does it do I think this is the first D3D12 title to use tiled resources for how it manages textures and the VRAM utilization and then async compute which I believe is hard coded as off on NVIDIA systems for now possibly to be enabled with the next patch as soon as the next Game Ready driver is detected which comes out later today I believe it was planned to be released.

Rest would likely depend on what else they've changed in this build of Unreal Engine 4 which when compared against the Github code for the various settings is pretty extensive and then there's Windows 10 itself with known issues for 19H1, 19H2 kinda but not quite out and 20H1 though the latter two would be unsupported beta-at-best and alpha status OS builds.

Suppose there is a chance Patch Tuesday here today could see 19H2 launched but I'd rather see the newest updates tested further and a launch late September but well who knows with Microsoft and maybe just getting it out and doing the rest via cumulative updates and focus going fully to 20H1 instead for April 2020's launch I believe is what it was planned for.
    (That's a bit separate from strictly game issues though.)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I have seen the DF video, I watch them quite a lot. I can see what they are pointing out but sometimes I think DF over hype things, as I have not been wowed by anything Gears 5 has offered visually. Its not even close to Metro Exodus levels of detail and atmosphere. Polygon count can only go so far, you could have a billion polygons on a single face but if that face has no expression or characteristics its just a face. Small details matter when building a game and its world. Also the DF guys have a love for motion blur and I am sorry but anyone who likes that in games has some issues. The only motion blur I ever considered "ok" and "playable" was Doom 2016 and even then with it off the game looked and played better.

Here is a different video, showing how Gears 5 indeed looks graphically better but still lacks those small details that when combined add up to something big.

6. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Has anyone tested if the game supports mGPU?

7. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Everyone plays it for benchmarks here not story.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it doesn't.

9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    We need some linear games, i'm tired of every game being open-world bs nowadays..

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    has anyone in this thread had a crash at all with this game since upgrading to 436.30 on their 10 series board?

11. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I think we can set a distinction between "linear" and "scripted corridor". This isn't a criticism towards GoW5 (I'm yet to play it), but linear games don't automatically mean "hold W and shoot" CoD game. DOOM, or other classic shooters are linear (level to level), but their level design is far more complex than running down an endless corridor that offers no deviation from a single straight path.

12. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    I like it more than Gears 4 so far, but I'm not yet blown away. Only completed the first act though. Very good performance and clean IQ as was to be expected.

13. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    We need all games to be open with variety. A true gamer like myself likes tens, hundreds or thousands hours of a game, with tons of side quests and side missions.

A gamer is not eligible to entitle himself a pro gamer at one game without having tons of hours at each one.

Benchmarks and bragging attitude about speed haste of completion at your friends, never make you a pure gamer.

You are at the same pot with those noobs at YouTube channels.

14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    If you are comparing Gears 5 to Metro Exodus, you are missing the point. The point isn't that Gears 5 is one of the best looking titles, on equal footing with the likes of Crysis, Metro Exodus, Star Citizen etcetera. The point is that Gears 5 is a console game that has targeted 60 FPS, yet STILL looks and runs really good and has a lot of advanced graphical features and effects.

In that manner, it's more apt to compare it to something like Doom, although to be honest, even Doom 2016 cannot compare to Gears 5. I think Wolfenstein 2 TNC is a better comparison as it uses a more up to date version of IdTech. Anyway, console games that target 60 FPS typically make a lot of sacrifices to get there, yet Gears 5 seemingly doesn't make that many. And to give credit where credit is due, a lot of that is due to how skilled The Coalition is at using UE4.

Someone already posted that video a few pages back and I commented on it. It's a very biased comparison. For example, nearly all of his comparisons center around artistic decisions. So the screen doesn't shake as much as it did when you chainsaw an opponent in Gears 5.....So the swarm doesn't leave as noticeable a trail of blood when wounded and crawling across the floor. So the water isn't physically simulated like it is in Gears 5.

Likely either The Coalition didn't include these because they didn't think they were important enough, or because they didn't have the time, or because they disrupted the 60 FPS goal on the X1X. As for the destruction, I had to vehemently disagree with him on that. Destruction in Gears 5 is used all over the game, and unlike his example in Gears 2 where it's used for visual flourish, destruction in Gears 5 actually affects gameplay.

The fact that he omitted that is very disingenuous if you ask me.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    That user is a salty nobody.

16. cyberfredxxx

cyberfredxxx Member Guru

GPU:
    WF 780 GTX
    hi guys
    I ve just installed the game with my xbox game pass for PC (installed via Windows 10 store only , I dont use xbox app beta)
    no problem at all during the game , it runs perfectly on my rig ;) but I ve a strange behaviour on my rig since I ve installed the game.
    It seems , after the first launch of the game , I ve another disk drive installed on my peripherals ,his name is SVD.
    and when I launch the game , I ve many pagination error on this drive , it s very strange.

Can u verify if you have the same behaviour ? (at least a new disk device)
    When I unistalled the game , this device completely disapear and no more pagination error.

thank u very much ;)

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

Store apps can virtualize the appdata directory in order for cross platform saves and such to work.

Another idea is that gears 5 is actually run from a VSD image.

18. cyberfredxxx

cyberfredxxx Member Guru

GPU:
    WF 780 GTX
    ok thank u very much for your answer ;)
    I have many other game from win 10 store (Forza 7 , horizon 4 ,Gears 4 etc...) and it s the first time I see this behaviour.
    the only thing that annoys me , I have these pagination error on this drive when I play the game , it s very weird.

19. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Guy in the video complains that walking through the water doesn't dynamically change the lighting under the water surface to react to him.~

Same guy bitches when RTX cuts his fps in half.

One or the other my guy.

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Is anyone actually playing and enjoying it on the PC. lol