Greedfall

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 6, 2019.

1. AngryWolf

AngryWolf New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 SC 8MB
    They seem to be pushing this towards Bioware's fans of Dragon Age. I can see some similarities. Team members with different pluses/minuses, the rest wait at a central place, you can romance any of them. The look of the game really doesn't match though, but having something new is good. At first I was thinking Dragons Dogma-like, only in that it may not look super great, but if plays well it will be fine. Would like to see that companion system used again. Where others can us them and they gain knowledge when your not even playing the game, plus bring back some loot. Being able to climb bigger baddies was cool as well.

The more I see, the more I like. The game is deeper than I thought and apparently the combat is well done and intuitive. Being a Bioware fan(except for the last Mass Effect and of course Anthem), and I'm really hoping this scratches my classic Bioware itch .

2. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Well, if they're aiming fo Dragon Age, I hope they stick to Origins/Awakening, because those were the good RPGs. I don't care for romances is a game (let's face it, Bioware's turned to mostly shallow melodrama in the later games, mostly with really awkward "sex" scenes) and rather not have them at all if they're not done well. Still, I'll look the game up when it comes out and see if it's worth getting at some point.

3. Anyone playing this already? It received a few mixed reviews, but it's a story-driven RPG, so I won't be able to resist for long :)

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I think this is a game that most people will enjoy just as long as they don't expect a "95% metacritic $200m budet game". This was after all made by a very small studio and it's pretty amazing what they've accomplished. Personally I have other games to play atm but I'll definitely pick it up at some point sooner or later.

5. kapo

kapo Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
  6. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I am interested in this game as well.

It rated "Very Positive" 81% presently on steam.

7. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Yeap, didnt expect that to be honest...with a few patches the game will be must buy!

cerebus23 likes this.
  8. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I've seen that this game has already managed to stir up controversy over on Kotaku (by merely existing, I guess)- apparently, the "fantasy colonialism" theme clashed with the reviewers progressive ideals (unsurprising). Where were they when Risen 2 and 3 came around, I wonder (similar setting)? As for this game itself, some of the videos look interesting, but overall visuals and gameplay footage still haven't convinced me that this is a 50 Euro game... I'll wait for the winter sales, or for a GOG release (if it is planned at some point).

9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    It runs extremely well though, mostly well over 100fps and down to 80's in city at 1080p.

10. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    and according to reviews, the game is well bugged free, so no problems there also. I think this one is a silent winner. Will buy it at some point, and I can't play anything now anyways, since my card died lol.

11. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Like most of these games by them, this is a deep discount buy.

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This game is probably Spiders best game to date though it isn't without issues (Cloth Physics on anything but Low on my systems seems to cause noticeable stuttering/hitching when running at speed or turning the camera quickly).

Graphically the game looks very nice at times with a pleasant city (even if there are too many cut and paste rooms inside those buildings you can enter) and reasonably good textures. Character modelling is mostly good as well, though eyes and especially the mouths look a bit "off". During cutscenes, it is hard not to get distracted by not only the poor lip-syncing but also the odd mouth animation (it's hard to explain but it looks almost like exaggerated in the style of Wallace and Gromit at times!). Thankfully, the voice-acting is decent and the music is great. The subtitles don't always match what is said - something common in the more "budget" orientated RPGs such as this one - and there's lots of typos (such as "therefor" instead of "therefore").

Gameplay seems decent so far, though at the start there's a lot more exploration and talking to do more than combat. Combat though is okay, nothing amazing but it works better than previous Spiders game which could be incredibly clunky at times (Bound by Flames and Technomancer for example). Story is not too bad so far, there's plenty of dialogue and the world settings seems intriguing so far. Looks a bit like Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag stylistically but plays more like something like The Witcher 3.

I expect this will be a competent game rather than an exceptional one- so far I haven't come across anything that I would say was game-breaking or frustrating - but it'll do me until The Outer Worlds comes out next month. Probably best to wait for a few patches and a price drop if you're on the fence over this one as there is nothing here that you haven't seen in other similar games and it doesn't do anything better than those other games either.

cerebus23 and Embra like this.
  13. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    This looks great, wasn't on my radar at all. Probably gonna pick it up sooner rather than later.

14. AngryWolf

AngryWolf New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 SC 8MB
    This is a hard one for me to classify. It is done by a smaller studio and it shows. I haven't played any of their other games, but I do see considerable effort in the game but there things that make you wonder if was due to lack of funding or just laziness. A lot of copy pasted visuals, and while while I like the combat and such, the movement just doesn't feel as 'tight' as others...like Assassins Creed Origins/Odyssey. Hard to pinpoint, but I think the character at times goes and extra half step than you want at times, not to mention you use a potion when sprinting for cover. Dodging feels manageable but a bit clunky and I am dying more than usual trying to come to grips all this.

However yesterday I couldn't stop playing, always saying "One more quest". This may change as I'm only a bit through New Serene. If it does send to be a lot repetitive, I can see it becoming tiresome. They story is keeping me going so far. I've also never had such a hard time deciding on a build. I think for me, wanting to go warrior mage-ish I struggled with what class to start with. It tough as I want to swords(eventually to longsword) instead of heavy and that choice doesn't match up with the game. I've got two characters going(managed by saved file as you can't have separate characters) that I got to point right before setting sail. It's maybe a distinction without a different as I think I get there from either character eventually. I went the warrior as I found magic very week to start with, and with the big enemy before, I killed it second try with warrior and took 6 tries with mage. Plus I can craft upgrades right away.

That kind of exciting though, deciding what build to go with, what way to go with dialogs, getting optimized gear for me and the team etc is all exciting for me. It's sort of how I felt when I started Dragon's Dogma. When I started I thought oh wow a crummy asian inspired mess. It was a bit of mess and you would fight the same enemy's over and over thanks to the it's wonky travel setup, but underneath was some great innovative gameplay. Climbing big monsters when fighting them, letting other players use one of my team where they would come back with knowledge and loot. Very cool new thing and I couldn't put it down. I'm hoping this Greedfall will do this for me as well. There really isn't anything innovative here though. At the very least, I would hope the game sells well as it would be great to see a Greedfall 2 done with a bigger budget with all game play and mechanics brought up to current standards.

I think the Youtuber JorRaptor summed it up well, you need to temper your expectations. If you go in expecting a AAA experience, you will likely be very disappointed. There can be a lot of fun had here if you can overlook some things aren't up to standard. If I had given up on Dragons Dogma on initial impressions, and didn't reset my expectations I would have missed out on a ton of fun. The only big gripe about the game is the price. They ARE asking for more money than I think they should. Though I recommend temper your expectations, I also totally understand someone being upset getting what is there for what they paid. My recommendation for people at this point is that if your tight on cash and can only afford a game or two, there are some great other games out or just coming out that may be a choice and grab this game when Steam or someone else has a sale. But like I say, I would love to see what they can do with this franchise with proper funding. It can fill a void left by EA blowing up Bioware.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  15. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    You know, I get that this is made by a small studio on a smaller budget (it isn't a AAA game), and that we should have realistic expectations, but the game still costs 50 Euro (so around 60 USD). There comes a time when you want your money's worth.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah Steam itself isn't the best source for 1st Tier European pricing though thankfully even legit or certified resellers like Greenman or Gamesplanet can have decent discounts so around 35 - 40 Euro which is a bit better and there's probably better deals still before going for the gray market key reselling and cross regional price hopping purchases.

No DLC's or such planned so I expect a discount with the upcoming Steam sale for Autumn or Winter (Both?) so that might add a 20% off or better on the price too while also giving room for at least one patch correcting any current reported issues.
    Only briefly did a quick test with the game so not much to say for now, liked what little I saw but first wrapping up Gears 5 and then seeing about other games and the rest of the backlog. :D

Will be fun to see what's next once the game gets going after leaving Not-England or wherever this takes place and heading for Not-America or wherever that ends up going in search of some plot driving story element and twists and turns throughout.

Bit less jank and brokenness compared to say Piranha Bytes and the Risen games and Elex fun as they were but I don't believe this was completely open world hit all the point of interests driven either so that might help things out a bit in that regard.
    (Fun as Elex was it was also fairly broken but eh made it through Gothic 3 before the community patch started really fixing it up so I managed. :p )

EDIT: As for Spiders and hopefully not mixing them in with some other smaller Euro developers Bound By Flame and Mars War Logs showed some nice strengths too and a couple of shortcomings so if this keeps improving and iterating on that it's looking good.
    (Heard balance is a bit wonky though but magic is usually a slow start and then it pays off whereas firearms somewhere around 1600's - 1800's wherever is a big lead ball of size that makes holes in stuff so no surprise firearms kinda just wins at least early on.)

signex likes this.
  17. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I am familiar with their previous games (they weren't to my taste), but this one took my eye because it reminded me of Risen2/3 mixed with Witcher 3. I actually like the Pirahna Bytex games (ELEX got an overhaul mod that tries to fix the broken balance) and can put up with the jank because the gameplay loop just fits me. XD

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah the images and media I did watch from Greedfall reminded me more of Piranha Bytes work on Risen and a bit about Elex more so than Bound by Flame or some of their earlier works and if they avoided some of the problems that Piranha Bytes later games faced things should be fairly positive in that regard too. :)

Risen 2 trying to be different and appease to a broader market which wasn't the most popular among the older fans and then Risen 3 expanding further in scope and trying to appease both groups with a bit mixed results.
    Elex doing a improved effort on this but the larger scope and size again even if better than what happened in Gothic 3 must have been a complicated issue and for the release versions skills and overall balance is kinda broken and I heard the English script is pretty busted compared to the German one thus issues with quest logs and conversations not being nearly as detailed or descriptive although there's been worse than that.
    (Witcher 1 early on had a similar problem though the English localization was overhauled and brought more in line with the Polish one in the enhanced edition.)

Mood and atmosphere and world building plus the way quests can be resolved and various other decisions and choices to be made also is a strong plus building upon systems in the prior games Spiders made.
    Technical issues can be patched and balance can be improved as well, it's not some online game needing constant fine tuning and a small group of very vocal players trying to influence what needs buffing and nerfing which is also good. :D

Piranha Bytes did come up a bit short for patches for Risen and Elex got a few but more work could have been done but I think they're working on Elex 2 now and then Piranha Bytes Red as a second studio have also been working on something for at least a few years by this point possibly some sci-fi game but not much else being known about it.

EDIT: Eh not the best at explaining but yeah looks like they've taken some inspiration of other European RPG's such as Risen or Elex and then also built from their previous work experiences and so far it's looking good and as usual the user reviews are fairly positive and professional reviews a bit more mixed hah. :D

Patch or two to sort out any major issues perhaps but we will see how that goes and the first impressions are certainly nice but I haven't gotten into the game proper yet to say anything more for now.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  19. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    This has been an issue with a lot of German made games, actually. A lot of them have a very bare bones English translation, with a lot of the lines simply being omitted. It's sad, because the Germans can make very good RPGs (especially those from the Dark Eye p&p universe). I actually know a moderate bit of German, so I can always try and play them in their native language. XD

ELEX was one of the more patched PB games (3 large patches) and from a bug standpoint, there aren't many (it's also stable). It's a studio of under 30 people, so it's no CD Project RED. The balance is busted in vanilla, though, but there is an overhaul mod that helps a lot. ELEX actually finally fixed some of the AI problems from Risen2+3, and actually gives you a custom difficulty option, which is nice for tailoring the fun to your own liking. I always wanted them to improve and so hope for the best with whatever they're making now (also, THQ Nordic purchased them, they no longer work for Deep Silver). As for PB Red, I'm interested in what they're cooking. Some veterans from the old Gothic games are there.

As for Greedfall, I'll check around the winter sales season, and see how it improved with patches.

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I am enjoying this game so far... it's certainly more polished than previous Spider's games though I still managed to encounter a quest breaking bug this morning. Basically, one of the side-quests requires you to find Constantin's clothes but the map marker takes me to a chest that I had already opened and looted. The quest still shows I need to find his clothes but I'm sure I already have them in my inventory. There are also a couple of crates which have the orange marker indicating that there's something inside them but I am unable to get the button prompt to actually open them.

Fortunately, these glitches are not game-breaking and, let's face it, no worst than your typical Elder Scrolls or Fallout game. Still annoying though if, like me, you like to 100% complete all quests before moving the story on.

And, yes, the translation of the subtitles is not great nor is the spelling. I came across one character referring to "vile" as in "evil/disgusting" which was misspelt "vial"! Again, hardly game-breaking but it does give the game a rough sheen.