AMD To Handle Boost Clock Frequency Differentials with Firmware Update

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 3, 2019.

1. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    It has nothing to do with 1000 vs. 1024. RAM has always been made available as a power of 2. In that case, he has 6144MB of RAM. The missing 460MB are reserved as system resources (e.g. GPU memory). Read properly, no one is talking about storage here.

Evildead666, butjer1010 and Ricardo like this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the missing memory in your phone is used by the GPU.

3. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    It really annoys me when people state "everything company A does is brilliant and everything company B does is rubbish". It's obviously not the case and they sound like deluded halfwits coming across with argument after argument to prove a biased viewpoint. And they don't seem to realise it is so obviously biased, which makes it even more laughable.

It should be down to what is the best hardware to suit your needs at the price you are willing to pay. It could come from any hardware manufacturer given that. I can't think of anything over 25 years of buying PC bits where I only ever bought one type of hardware from one manufacturer because they were so brilliant.

Mind you, if only 3dfx had not gone bust, far better than that rubbish from nvidia. ;)

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    The more I think about it, the more I think this announcement is mostly due to the imminent release of the 3950X.
    Sure, the current situation is causing some headlines, but imagine releasing the 3950X and it's being slammed for the lack of boost clock.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Sorry, couldn't help but read those two lines (bold) besides each other :D
    But ofc you are right about single sided thinking.

6. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    I am not affected by boost clock it seems, 3600 boosts to 4.2 most of the time. But hey if it is more consistent and or allow higher boosts and overclocking potential it is GOOD. If people did not notice it and start complaining do you really think AMD would have done anything about it. Maybe they were holding back performance deliberately for ZEN 2+ or ZEN 3. I do not trust Intel or AMD to have the best interest of the consumer, they are all in it for the money.

Come to think about it AMD released new bios revisions stating they screwed with (Boost) performance for the longevity of the processor. They probably got scared and thought another class action law suit is incoming for false advertising.

7. butjer1010

butjer1010 Active Member

GPU:
    RX6900XT Toxic EE
    Please calculate for me how 5684 can be 6GB (hint : 1000 vs 1055 would be right amount). I can see You're very smart boy.

8. anthos

anthos Guest

GPU:
    -
    1055 would also be a wrong amount "smart boy".

9. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Dude we get it, your a blue fanboy. Cool. Not go be a shrill somewhere else.

Venix likes this.
  10. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Please re-read the topic! around 45% of 3600 owners etc hit the boosted speeds but less than 6% of 3900X hit the 4.6GHz, personally i gave up on it so just overclocked my 3900X to 4.35GHz manually on all cores. Cause the old bios did hit 4.6GHz for a second or so but hovered around 4.3GHz with upto 1.5v. Better to manually overclock to 4.35GHz on 1.35v all cores than rely on a rear boost of 4.6GHz on a single core when ever it can be bothered. The new BIOS AGES 1.0.0.3AAB his 4.4GHz in rare cases but spent most of it's time at 4.2GHz. Still well below 4.6GHz