Crysis 1 remake (rumor)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Aug 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's better. Unreal may be the go to tech for a lot of companies, but it's more so because it's easy to use. Not because it's truly top end.
    CryEngine is a much better, more technically sound engine... but, it requires more from the studio using it.

2. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    I remember the yearning and frustration involved with trying to get maxed out graphics on it. Of course I never got max gfx on it at playable speed. But at least I could see some still images of the gorgeous views during slideshow performance. And I bet over 80% of this thread is variations of the but can it run crysis meme.

3. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    That meme in and of itself was flawed.
    Because, tons of PCs then and now can run Crysis.

There's a difference between a game running, and it running smoothly.
    So, a PC that runs Crysis at 10fps... is still running it.

dark_surge likes this.
  4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I recall my 8800GTS 640mb struggling with it @ 1680x1050. FPS 20-35 not even maxed out. Gameplay fun until got into the alien ship interior, did not enjoy that at all. Not my favorite Crysis game.

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Crysis 2 is my personal favorite.

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Not this nonsense again :rolleyes:

Unreal Engine is every bit as powerful and sophisticated as CryEngine (while being more flexible), with much better documentation and support; especially if you're developing games on mobile. That's the main reason why it's the go to engine for developers over CryEngine.

Very few developers ever utilize the advanced functions available in UE4, but it's definitely possible. This demo for instance was run on a single GTX 1080 Ti:

TheDeeGee likes this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I had xfx 8800gt then (last nvidia card i used) it was running medium 1080p 30fps and it looked great i thought. Core2duo was fastest cpu we had, ah sometimes i wonder how the hell crysis even was playable on those systems. :D

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Epic also pays its engine developers on time.

9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Nobody said it wasn't possible.
    I said the main reason most use Unreal is because it's easier to use. Which, even you agreed with

And yes, UE4 is capable of some really incredible stuff.
    But, again, so was UE3... everyone remembers the Samaritan demo

But just because the engine is capable of it, doesn't mean any studio will ever push the engine that far in a retail product.

Also, Crytech's lead engineer left the company some time ago and now works at id.
    Which... personally, idTech kicks Unreal's ass.

cerebus23 likes this.
  10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Yes, and then you said something right after which is factually incorrect; that UE4 wasn't a top end 3D engine. UE4 is definitely a top end, cutting edge 3D engine which is arguably more capable overall than CryEngine in many respects which is why it's used more.

That is in addition to its ease of use.

To be completely honest, what really makes a game look amazing are the developers and asset quality. The engine itself plays a minor role in determining how a game looks. I think the 3D engine is mostly about performance and the capabilities that it brings to the table, but those still have to be tapped into by the developers to take proper advantage of it.

Yeah, IdTech is incredible, but a lot more limited than UE4. With UE4 you can make any type of game you can imagine, from open world RPG to fighting games, to linear FPS to isometric strategy. IdTech was specifically designed for a certain type of game, namely linear FPS. Over time though, Id have been expanding on the engine.

I hope that one day IdTech will have advanced enough so that it could be used for a true open world game, so that we can see larger and more expansive titles developed by using it. I would also love to see Rage developed by Id again, and using IdTech and not some third party B.S.

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    No, I said the main reason it's used is because it's easy to use, not because it's top end.
    I never said it wasn't top end.

I insinuated that most studios gravitate towards the engine because of it's flexibility, documentation and more "easy" to learn nature.
    It's technical merits or it being "top end", not being a major factor in why a lot of companies use it.

12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Well you did say "CryEngine is a much better, more technically sound engine" right afterwards, which implied that UE4 wasn't on the same level as CryEngine on a purely technological level; which is obviously false. While CryEngine does surpass UE4 in a few aspects, the opposite is much more apparent. CryEngine is much more limited than UE4 in terms of overall capability.

That's why I responded the way I did. Anyway, it doesn't matter. You're welcome to your opinions either way! :D

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Just putting this out there, everything I say should be taken as my opinion.
    I never intend to state something as a factual statement. It's far too hard to read subtlety and tone through just words on a screen.

Personally, I prefer the "feel" of CryEngine over Unreal. And, saying something is more "sound" doesn't mean it's factually better.

I don't believe Unreal gets represented that well because it's used by so many, so there's a lot of crap that's shoved out the door on the engine. Has been that way since Unreal Engine 2.
    I feel to really get the most out of CryEngine, there's a steeper learning curve, and most studios don't want to put that kind of time into just the engine side of things, so they go for something more open, such as Unreal.

In the same boat, I really dislike DICE's Frostbite engine.
    I dislike the visual look of it, the player movement/feel... I do not think it is a "sound" engine. Unreal is fine, I'm just not a fan of how it "feels", specially when a studio doesn't put that extra time in to really fine tune player movement.
    That's something I love about id Software and idTech. No engine nails player movement, weight, feedback... like id.

14. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    This is objectively true.

15. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Where was unreal.engine when cryengine did crysis 2 ,cryengine wiped its ass with ue3

16. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Hunt Showdown makes my rig cry

17. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Let's be real here, a remake of Crysis 1 isn't happening, due to it being owned by EA. If anything, Crytek may do another shooter set in a jungle, but it won't be taking place in the Crysis universe.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it was busy being used to make open world action platformers instead of on-rail shooters.

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I think EA will do another Crysis, turn it into MP only and milk it out with Megatransactions.

20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Pretty sure it was just a tech demo to showoff new engine build.

Serotonin likes this.