Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. DxVinxGado

DxVinxGado Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090 Ti
    Even if it isnt a fluke of some sort it is most definitely only this drastic in The Division 2 from what I can see.

Also, my 1080 Ti's were using IRQ 16 and 17 which also happened to be used by the 2 nVidia HD audio controllers (Obviously) and the Intel Serial IO I2C Host controllers.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    May be due to SLI...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    MoKiChU likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its incredibly unusual and would have to be a faulty device spamming interrupts that switching to msi's side steps.

4. DxVinxGado

DxVinxGado Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090 Ti
    Division 2 does not support SLI.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Its perhaps worth testing with only one card in the system to see if its related to that.
    ie a driver bug ...

MoKiChU and mbk1969 like this.
  6. DxVinxGado

DxVinxGado Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090 Ti
    Not really a bug in a negative direction and it also did exhibit the same behavior on a previous driver as well. I didnt notice it until I was looking through my previous runs since July. Removing a card to do it isnt worth the hassle for something that only shows the performance boost in 1 title. (I have hybrid kits on my 1080Ti's and it would require removing the rad as well.) Interesting to say the least.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can simply disable secondary videocard in Device Manager.

MoKiChU likes this.
  8. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Hi. So let me get this straight: In order to actiavate TSC+LAPIC it's HPET on BIOS set to OFF and then using the cmd command bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

Is this correct or is it different? Thanks for the different timer comparisons btw.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you leave hpet in the bios set to whatever the hell default is and never add the useplatformclock bcd value.

windows knows what timer it wants to use.

Smough likes this.
  10. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I see, thanks!

11. BoxChevy

BoxChevy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix OC 3090
    Man I just reinstalled windows due to a massive hardware upgrade and forgot many moons ago I came across this thread many weeks into troubleshooting all of the stuttering and frametime problems I had in everygame. Well new install and massive spikes once again luckily I save the utility on my storage drive and came across it and it refreshed my memory. The 3 games I have massive problems with AC:Oddy, Squad, and Insurgency Sandstorm are completely fixed with this and ISLC. These 2 programs, but more yours, are the most important software outside of drivers for windows 10 gaming. I just cant thank the OP enough for this. One day MS will recognize how broken there OS is and fix these issues. Its crazy complete hardware change and still the same problems until this fix.

Just to refresh my mind, I checked everything in the list and put them all on high. It seemed to work fine. Thanks again.

akbaar likes this.
  12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @BoxChevy

You are welcome.

In case of interrupts working in legacy mode the blame is on device manufacturers.

MoKiChU and BoxChevy like this.
  13. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    yes cant live without this app, but puting everything on high isnt that dangerous?

14. BoxChevy

BoxChevy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix OC 3090
    I dont know Im asking??

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You are asking about what? About putting everything on high priority?

MoKiChU likes this.

16. BoxChevy

BoxChevy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix OC 3090
    Yes its the only setting Im unclear on after reading your breakdown. I saw in another post someone did this.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It is experimental feature because I just assumed it will work looking at registry structure and at Windows API source files.
    I would recommend slow approach to it:
    - set high priority on one device;
    - test in games/benchmarks;
    - if you see/feel positive effect leave it;
    - if you do no see/feel positive effect revert priority back;
    - repeat on the next device.

MoKiChU, akbaar and BoxChevy like this.
  18. BoxChevy

BoxChevy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix OC 3090
    Thank you will try that out

19. bluedevil

bluedevil Master Guru

GPU:
    Kfa2 RTX 2060 6gb
    Don't know if this was already discussed in some form or another in this thread but i didn't find anything about this so hope this helps reduce latency
    I found the information about this in FR33THY'S TWEAK GUIDE in the latency section on Set interrupt affinity
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/...p7hoV1cYBMi2C3XSQ/edit#heading=h.riiay85i8v1o
    He uses Interrupt-Affinity Policy Tool to set affinity to specific cores for the gpu pcie express controller and usb
    copy-pasted :
    "Set interrupt affinity

https://download.microsoft.com/down...ef1dae939e/interrupt_affinity_policy_tool.msi
    Sadly microsoft does not always do a good job of this at all.
    What we are doing here is changing the interrupt affinity to a single core or to multiple cores.
    The trick is finding out which core/cores are the fastest on your system and closest to your memory controller. Some devices work best on one or the core closest to the memory controller.

DO NOT SET AFFINITIES TO YOUR HARD DRIVE = BLUESCREEN

Ideally you would want the workload spread across all cores, although beware too much tweaking with this tool can be a hit and miss. Below is what works well for me.

Windows will usually clump everything to core 0 as you can see here...
    These tweaks are very system and cpu dependant so keep that in mind, what might work well for my system could make your system worse. Test for yourself.

Generally speaking in my experience with the 8086k and my system, this is working well.
    -Pinning USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller to CPU 2

-Pinning NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti to CPU 4

-Pinning PCI-to-PCI Bridge (same pci device as above GPU) to CPU 4
    As shown above tweaking your PCI/GPU affinity can help with performance.
    The PCI/GPU will usually work best on a single core that is not used as much closest to the memory controller, benchmark this. I believe the #4 core shown in the tool = 5th core for a 8086k might be the core closest to the memory controller."

So what's your opinion on this tweak ? Can we do the same for net adaptor or other stuff to lower latency ?

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @bluedevil

Too many parameters to take to account. I mean you can try but I suspect you will spend many many hours to try and test. Plus you should understand the kernel mechanics really well.

PS And this sentence
    "The trick is finding out which core/cores are the fastest on your system and closest to your memory controller. Some devices work best on one or the core closest to the memory controller."
    has no meaning in home PC world.

MoKiChU likes this.