MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Decided to verify it and give it a try, purchased Control and spend a couple hours playing it just to ensure that there are no issues with it. Guys, it is not fun, the game was not cheap, I didn't need it and my weekend time is limited and I could do something more useful :( I'd seriously like to ask to stop any further discussions related to this game here.

RevoLand and gedo like this.
  2. ErikSwan

ErikSwan Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Unwinder, I'm almost 100% certain there is an issue here. Maybe it is configuration specific or hardware specific. How can we prove it? Is there any debug/profiling data we can collect and share? It's very easily reproducible for me by toggling the OSD on and off.

Edit: I'm trying to run some controlled tests to show this, and to do this I would like to get and log individual frametime data from RTSS (I don't have an FCAT setup, so I think this is the best I can do).

I ran the RTSSFrametimePipeSample sample, but it's not working - it seems like RTSS never opens the named pipe. Looking at all the named pipes on the system by running the following in PowerShell confirms this:

Code:
    [System.IO.Directory]::GetFiles("\\.\\pipe\\")
    Do I need to do something special to enable the pipe?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  3. Unwinder

I have zero wish to continue killing weekend on searching for a black cat in a dark room. And I think i asked to stop continuing this in this thread.

4. ErikSwan

ErikSwan Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That's fine, I can just disable the OSD when playing. Can you respond about the pipe issue though?

5. Unwinder

There is no "pipe issue" too. Learn how to use it please, implementation is open source.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  6. ErikSwan

ErikSwan Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I understand how to use it, but even the sample provided doesn't work (yes, even the pre-compiled executable). RTSS isn't opening and writing to the named pipe when it's running, so there is nothing to receive no matter what the implementation is. I tried looking for a setting to enable the pipe, but I couldn't find anything in the RTSS GUI or any documented config options.

7. Unwinder

You don't, sorry. Pre-compiled executable works fine if you understand what to expect from it. Can we stop now?

8. ErikSwan

ErikSwan Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Ok, for the record: seems like RTSS will not create the named pipe itself, so if the receiving application doesn't create the pipe before RTSS is launched (in this case, if the sample app isn't running before RTSS is launched), then even if you create the pipe later, RTSS will not find it. Thanks for your help, @Unwinder.

9. Unwinder

You’re still misunderstanding pipe usage concepts and workflow. Pipe doesn’t assume a simple connection between the sample application and RTSS, and no, it is not necessary to start RTSS after the sample to get it working. Pipe is a single server (frametime listener application) and multiple clients (frametime senders applications, i.e. 3D games) based architecture. So it is enough to have pipe server (i.e. sample framerate listener app) running before launching any pipe client (3D game) to get pipe connection established and data flow in it.

And by the way, if you decide to claim that lazy asshole developer refuse to look into your important problem report (which is really depressing and not true because I paid unnecessary $25 from my own pocket again to buy this game and killed half of my weekend on nothing) in some different place, try to imagine that the developer can suddenly read it and simply decide to stop replying to you after that.

ErikSwan likes this.
  10. ErikSwan

ErikSwan Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I think anyone reading your replies would agree with me about your attitude towards my questions, which were asked in an attempt to help you track down the bug so you didn't have to spend your time on it. That's all I'll say about that. I'm sorry you had to spend your money on the game, although you should really give it a shot as it's quite an excellent game.

11. Unwinder

People coming to help do not reply with "asshole" if developer cannot give them expected reply. You didn't came to help. You came to get help with issues on your rig and absolutely assumed that it is my obligation to start fixing it for you ASAP. And no need to continue please. At least you're just 25, as old as RT project. So you have a chance to grow up and understand that the world is not rotating around your gaming issues. ;)

12. PcMrRe88

PcMrRe88 Active Member

GPU:
    1080ti
  13. maffle

maffle Member

GPU:
    gtx970
    Since one of the latest Windows 10 updates MPC-HC (https://mpc-hc.org/) crashes when wanting to make a screencap when MSI Afterburner / RTSS is running in the back.

An error has occurred. MPC-HC will close now.
    Exception:
    ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION
    Crashing module:
    c:\windows\system32\d3d9.dll
    Offset: 0x4DF29CD21, Codebase: 0x7FF6EEBF0000

Closing MSI Afterburner / RTSS, and it works again. This just started to happen since one of the last Windows 10 updates.

Adding mpc-hc64_nvo.exe to disable list in RTSS doesnt help.

@PcMrRe88 I noticed since some Windows 10 updates, that my laptop became slower in certain situations, also Chrome browsing some web pages and web animations stuttering, is what you linked connected to this too maybe?

14. Unwinder

maffle likes this.
  15. maffle

maffle Member

GPU:
    gtx970
    Updating RTSS stops at 99% installing vcredist_x86.exe with no option to abort/cancel, this happened before in the past. RTSS is not running.

[​IMG]
    And now the installer is stuck and wont do anything anymore, and also cant be closed.

16. Unwinder

Reread the previous post a few times please.

17. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Which is your latest MPC-HC version? The development at mpc-hc.org has ceased. Luckily a new fork was done.
    Mine is 1.8.7 (July 17th, 2019) get it from GitHub: https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    how do you people break your pc's like this?

Andy_K likes this.
  19. maffle

maffle Member

GPU:
    gtx970
    How is the rate of ignorant, moron and nonsense answeres in this forum so much higher than the usual nonsense posts on the internet?

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Says the one that can't even get VC runtime installed.

cool_recep likes this.