PlayStation 5 To Feature 2GHz Radeon Navi GPU ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 19, 2019.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    sound very interesting if true. thought I would love to see the ps5 do more then just be compatible with ps4/pro games I want to see it enhance there framerates and resolution ideally, at very lest enhance the fps to 60fps for games that were not locked at 30fps

Serotonin likes this.
  2. I wouldn't take this rumor very seriously. 2GHz GPU in a console is very far-fetched... not gonna happen.

Serotonin likes this.
  3. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I said frames won't hold @ 4k/60 with Ray Tracing on PS5 hardware. I didn't say anything about what it does or if it's effective, visually. Why are you being so totalitarian lately?

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Or, instead of following warnings by staff let's do the opposite, and just try to put staff on the spot when staff wasn't even referencing your post.

But I mean if you have a guilty conscience and you think you did something wrong, you should still just follow the damn warning and not post.

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Well, your post was right after mine. So...
    I still stand by my statement. What's the point of a forum if you want to dictate the direction every conversation takes? Your warnings seem warrantless, often, and more your own personal decision, not site rules. But hey, whatever.

6. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Or, let's still ignore warnings and still derail the topic.

Smart move. No more on this, if you want to continue feel free to DM me.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    not really, just needs adequate cooling.

8. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Considering what we saw from AIB partners in what it takes to cool it efficiently, I don't think there would be much of an issue cooling it even in say size of a PS4 or Xbox One.

9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Nice! Arrghh, GPU upgrade time!

10. Consoles have power budget up to 250W. That includes CPU, RAM, GPU... the whole system. That is why every component has to run on the most efficient voltage to clock ratios, while still maintaining competitive performance. Cooling is another issues or let's say noise. If the system is way too noisy, it will compromise sales. There has never been a console with HW running at peak clocks and it never will be because it just doesn't make any sense.

Serotonin likes this.

11. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    There is no set power draw limitation for consoles, it's just per design by all the partners involved making the console. As far as peak clocks go, there hasn't been any console that had trouble hitting 100% performance(not counting RROD on the 360). And you want to talk about noise, have you heard the original Xbox One at full speed? Even half? That damn thing is loud. The 360 was just as loud too, either hearing the fan spinning or hearing the disk drive. The PS3 was super loud as well. The Wii and the Gamecube were pretty quiet, but there was also only one small fan in each.

12. @vbetts

2GHz+- on a GPU is today's maximum even for desktops with maximum voltages and power draw over 200W just for a GPU. If you think that X360, PS3 or PS4Pro and X1 were running on maximum clocks the silicon could handle long-term, then there is nothing to discuss really. And yes, there are industry standard power limits for both noise and power draw.

Serotonin likes this.
  13. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    Stadia, Guys, Stadia. All the rest is already history

14. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Internet, Dude, Internet. It's hardly available anywhere in a way that everybody could access Stadia with 4K@60Hz. And what about 144Hz fanatics like me? 60Hz is garbage now, i could never go back to that.

Backstabak and fantaskarsef like this.
  15. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Considering AMD managed to push a Polaris GPU and a Jaguar CPU in under 200w peak while still being competitive with their desktop parts, it's not something that's unbelievable for them to be able to do it again.

But no, there is no set standard on power draw or noise in consoles.(Original 90nm PS3 definitely used more than 200w) There is definitely an expectation that companies want to hit, but this is not always the case. PS3 was loud, 360 was loud, Original PS4 was loud, original Xbox One was loud, all under full fan curve.

16. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    Pricing is a major factor when it comes to consoles, so It's hard to believe. Let's see.

Serotonin likes this.
  17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I think 2ghz clock on gpu is id doable in console its just gona require something thought on how seeing all the heat is gona come from cpu package that contains the gpu among other things in consoles, I more worried about wattage and shitty parts being used causing coil whine, just like the ps4 pro suffer from in almost all its pro games, the base ps4 suffer from this too but it ignore able unlike the pro, unless you ears are can no longer hear such tones. or the fan sound like get engine winding up

That coilwhine is why I dont have ps4 pro and wont i just gona by pass for ps5 and hope the solve that issue

yes I expecting $399 to $450 for next gen 500 tops but i dont see that happen if they really putting RT in there. I dont see Sony trying that magic number $599.99 again seeing they said they will never do that after the tried it with ps3

then again they can say RT is there but NEVER use it. like PS3 was said to doing 1080p but almost no game actual ran that cause of the performance hit.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I have an original XBox One....and it's relatively quiet.... Maybe it's fan is failing....

Jaguar was a very low-power CPU. The Jaguar powered Athlon processors pulled next to nothing, even at full load, and they were clocked quite a bit higher than the processors used in the XBox and PS4.

19. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Console bad, PC good. Mods are OK.

I mean, NA--VI, NA--VI, NA--VI!

20. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    $599 now isn't same as it was back in 2006. Inflation alone drives numbers up. Fact. Get used to it.

Whether RT is used or not is up to the developers - same as 1080p was on PS3. Putting all of your nonsense on "them"(SONY) is ignorant/stupid.

Serotonin likes this.