so, my evga 1080 catched on fire. Hoping to get a replacement. But what?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by sneipen, Aug 10, 2019.

1. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    This is maybe 4 time i say this. There where ONLY some dust on the back plate. Also, black componments under strong led light make it look worse than it is. Inside the card there wasnt any dust. Temp. Was fine. Like 69-72c. That was the temp this card reached no matter what. Dust didnt cause ny gpu to short curcuite..

Did some testing with my zotac 2070 mini. I got mixed feelings. The gpu oc to 1870-1950mhz. Tho, i run fans at 70-80%. Temp goes up to 70-76c no matter what. Oced, card performe a tad better than ny 1080.
    I really dont understand why they sent me a mini ver. FFS, they had a Asus strix on sale for under the cost of card i got. Im a bit irritated at the shop. Also find it a bit odd that i just couldnt pay some extra cash to get a super or 2080, super or not..I could really use the extra grunt the 2080 has .

Not sure, but maybe i will complain. See if i can send the zotac mini back... Shitty Situation im in just because the dude that handles ny rna choose a weird card AS a replacement. There is a reason i bought a card with a big radiator, make no sense sending me a mini ver. Its not even the cheapest rtx 2070 they had, even ignoring the strix that is om sale...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  2. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Sorry for typos. Phone Messing with med. And for some reason cant edit..

What would you do if you where in my Situation. Go from a evga with decent sized cooler, etc to improve oc. To a zotac rtx 2070 mini. Two fans, much smaller radiator. Only one power input. The chip in the card seems to be of ok quality. It oc well, but the cooling cant handle ut well. So it seems to be a bottleneck even og i run fans at 100%
    So, default clock. 70-80c. Oc i manage to keep it at 75c when i rund fans at 70-90%.. This is my Main issue, cooler is a big downgrade from what i had... If they sent me a card with similar cooling iv had. I would be ok with that...

3. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    So, you blew up your last card, got an updated Turing replacement that performs better albeit at slightly higher temps (though still well within spec), and now you're mad that the shop didn't send you one with a super-duper cooler. You should totally sue them for emotional distress. At the very least they should send you a water cooled 2080 ti and a vacuum.

4. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    How old are you?
    Why is it fine for a shop to sell a card that cost about 1000usd that catches in fire because of ( https://duckduckgo.com/?q=evga+catching+on+fire&t=ffab&ia=videos ) 1-2 year later to send a card with newer chip thats cheaper and has much worse components than you had before? Why is it to much to ask for a similar card, and not a gpu that exist for mini builds, like building pc in a xbox housing. There is a reason some of us avoid mini coolers, or shittiest ver. of a lineup. There is more to it then a newer gen but lower class. chip giving about same performance then more expensive, higher class chip from previous gen.

Wtf are you rambling about? Oh well, cant say i didnt expect you to end your replie with something like this considering how you start with "i blew up" like its my fault that evga cards had issues...
    You have probably really low standards, or dont care about you money at all. Guess if your rtx card suddenly dies, you would be thrilled about getting a much cheaper 2060 super, with one of the poorest performing coolers in that lineup as long as fps is similar. Or maybe not, you probably buy a new one because a 1000usd graphic card dying when next gen comes is just fine.

Anyways. The shop agreed. They couldnt explain why they sent me this cart. Offered to send me a regular rtx 2070 and i send the one i got back when the new comes. I again asked if its possible for me to pay the difference to get something better. Like 2070 super, or hopefully 2080 super because of the resolution i use.. I can see the rtx is having a hard time with resolution over 1440p.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I would be mad to if they sent me a mini card as a replacement.

mezball and SpajdrEX like this.
  6. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Ok. Guess this is my last update.

Like i said, customer service agreed that it was a weird choice sending me a mini card. After some reading about these new super cards and what they had in storage i went for this and pay the difference.
    https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-RTX-2080-SEA-HAWK-X

The few super cards they had in is expensive. Over 1000usd. This seemed to be the best card considering price vs performance. I hope gpu marked will become more consumer friendly soon. Feel its a mess atm, non super cards hasnt dropped much in price. Looks like they are charging more for the super cards... Like the one customer service suggested, asus rtx 2080 was just couple hundred bucks under the cheapest 2080Ti. o_O

airbud7 likes this.