NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    You need to disable the behavior flag for Dues Ex AFIK. Otherwise it won't work.

As for trine, you don't have SSAA enabled in the launcher do you?
    The only thing that makes sense is that you have bloom disabled in the options text. As disabling that for me makes the aliasing on the bridge similar to yours.

Alternatively you can use 8xSGSSAA or 8xS+4xSGSSAA and that improves that at the cost of more performance. You can also enable FXAA in game, which will work with 4xSGSSAA enabled. But the image is a lot softer.

Also if you could, set Steam to save "lossless copies" of screenshots. (And then upload these to a hosting site like abload or cubeupload. Or convert those lossless ones to JPG and then upload them. Or even the JPGs Steam produces locally. Not uploaded)
    The JPGs that Steam produces when you upload screenshots to the cloud are horrible quality that have so much compression artifacts visible that it makes it hard to discern the real detail in an image.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Tizoc789 and KainXVIII like this.
  2. MarcinPL

MarcinPL Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970 4 GB
    Strange thing but AA flags stopped working for American Truck Simulator but same flags work fine with Euro Truck Simulator 2 on the same graphic engine...

3. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970M
    Yeah that fixed Deus Ex HR, SSGSS is working fine now :3
    SSAO is causing me slowdowns so I'll just disable it.

Will try out Trine again. I'll disable NVidia inspector settings, re-enable bloom and try again.

4. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970M
    Updating nvidia drivers resets Inspector settings :V

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Which is why NV Inspector has profile import/export feature.

KainXVIII likes this.
  6. SirYodaJedi

SirYodaJedi Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 4 GB
    First post, and probably only post for a while, so might as well make it long.

Lego Games
    Do NOT force OGSSAA in Lego games. This messes up shadowmap calculations, making the games very dark (with tiny lightboxes). This is unfortunate, as 16x D3D supersampling is subtly crisper than 8x SGSSAA (although only slightly).
    What is fortunate, however, is that SGSSAA does actually work in Lego Batman 2 and Lego The Lord of the Rings. I've only tested 4x, but it works fine with 0x004010C1 as long as the AA fix is enabled and the AA behavior flags are removed.
    Settings used:
    [​IMG]
    Result:
    [​IMG]
    On that matter, the AA fix is probably required for all Lego games that use the 2011 or later version of the engine (first used with Lego Star Wars III) when shaders are set to anything other than low (potentially not even low for Marvel 1 and Hobbit, haven't tested). I verified the necessity on Lord of the Rings and the Demos for Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7, Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, and Lego Batman 2. I verified that it was not necessary in the demo for Lego Indiana Jones 1.

Blurry TrSGSSAA
    As OpenGL titles, Doom 64 EX and Sven Co-op fall victim to blurry TrSGSSAA. Fortunately, HSAA seems to work fine.
    Ion Maiden/Fury does not have any blurring issues, despite being OpenGL. The preview demo seemed to have a bug where certain edges would only have MSAA's algorithm applied instead of SGSSAA's, but I cannot replicate that on the release build.

DirectX 11
    In Forsaken Remastered, the in-game MSAA can be enhanced with SGSSAA, but only in DirectX 11 mode. Interestingly, it actually seems to ignore the "Antialiasing - Mode" bits, applying the SGSSAA even if set to "Application-controlled". This caused some confusion when I was trying to figure out if the in-game resolution scaler could exceed 100%. This might actually be normal for DirectX 11, as the same seems to happen with games running through DgVoodoo.

Other questions
    I noticed that the Google Sheet lists compatibility bits for Republic Commando. Aren't compatibility bits unnecessary for for DirectX 8- games?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    KainXVIII likes this.
  7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I would have to go dig out my disc as I wasn't one who tested that game. But there have been scenarios where bits do actually affect DX8 games. Can't remember any specifically though. Unreal 2 maybe? I don't remember.

Thanks for the post. I will add the information.

Do you have any pictures of Doom 64Ex and any comparison On/Off shots for that game or Ion fury/maiden?

SirYodaJedi likes this.
  8. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970M
  9. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970M
    One more thing; I am not sure if I can update the sheet in the first post, but Ninja Blade should be updated;
    1- Setting the ingame AA value to 4, 8 or 16 respectively, will allow using SSGSS AA at x4, x8 or x16 as per the player's initial AA setting.
    2- Enhance option must be used

I don't recall needing any specific flags but the game looks much nicer this way, and I've got the Steam screenshots to prove it :V
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....627/D2BA6EA820CDC74B3D6E86F7D9EA4067CF2C5B36/
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....199/E4793F3A4EB13730BF63774B3B9562FEE52ECCE7/
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....422/D868D11D5EE68E3F1452A61EFFF8FA25B2B52CB2/
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....567/42D747F1DB430E4C3AEEAB2F8D0560B91A500CD6/

all in all it is not impossible to at least utilize Nvidia inspector with the game.

10. SirYodaJedi

SirYodaJedi Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 4 GB
    That would make sense, since it's an Unreal Engine 2 title. I wonder if it would still affect it similarly when using d3d8to9.

Doom 64 EX
    Ion Fury

I can also take screenshots of the Lego OGSSAA shadow bugs/AA Fix requirement; HSAA vs TrSGSSAA in Sven Co-op; and SGSSAA in Forsaken Remaster Direct X 11 mode, if you'd like.

11. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970M
    Hah thanks for the flag, as I've been looking for an AO flag to use for this game.

12. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970M
    I think Dark Void could have the this HBAO+ flag working with it. I'll test to see if it does anything
    0x00000030

Dark Void's config file (in documents) has similar options to Enslaved which is what got me to testing it.

EDIT: Aight, here are the screens

[​IMG]
    ^Without AO, but with SSGSS x4 AA

[​IMG]
    ^With the AO flag

....I'm not noticing any change :p I guess that's not the flag for it.

Bonus pic just because I don't do many 'while moving' screenshots :V
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  13. IForgotMyLoginInfo

IForgotMyLoginInfo Guest

GPU:
    Vengeance LPX 32GB
    Does anyone know a code for SGSSAA, HSAA, or OGSSAA for LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga and Ultimate Spiderman? I tried using the code 0x004010C1 for the Complete Saga with and without the AA fix, but OGSSAA and SGSSAA don't work at all when the enhanced graphics option is enabled. SGSSAA makes the screen black after loading a save and OGSSAA messes up the models.

14. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970M
    Anyone got any AA bits for Mercenaries 2?

EDIT: I can say with some confidence that the AA bits for Saboteur won't work
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  15. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Any bits for Mothergunship, I think it uses Unreal engine 4

16. SirYodaJedi

SirYodaJedi Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 4 GB
    Not possible; UE4 uses DirectX 10+, which means AA can't be forced (also, it uses deferred rendering, so this kind of AA wouldn't work well, anyway). However, you can try forcing downscaling by modifying certain values in the configuration files, which should be much sharper than DSR or the built-in TAA/FXAA (and works if you can't enable DSR due to having a laptop with Optimus). A screen percentage of 200 is equivalent to 4x FSAA (2x2 OGSSAA, if you like mouthfuls).

17. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thanks

18. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    Anyone have any idea how to get aa working in Amnesia: The Dark Descent? I tried the old OGL 0x0000F0C1 bit to no avail, then found this. Apparently the game uses a draw to texture render mode, which doesn't normally support AA, but then adds some card have a setting. Is there a special character I can add to a flag, or some other setting within the mass of settings in the inspector, than can enable aa with the render mode?

19. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970M
    Perchance, anyone happens to know of any AA bits to use with Disney's Brave?
    I've tried using dgvoodoo on it for the time being but I'm not noticing any change :p

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    If AA doesn't work without a flag for Amnesia and it runs on OGL. You are SOL.

Disney's Brave? What API?
    For The Mercs you might just try 0x00000041 for MSAA/SGSSAA

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019