Review: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Global unlimited

Global unlimited Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti
    I don't think people are going to conclude what you think based of that one sentence. People are a little smarter than that. I also think it comes down to him maybe not being a native English speaker. People get bent out of shape all the time by the wording in stuff he says, but he does a pretty good job of explaining what he means if you read the accompanying detail. Technically, he's not wrong either. Those that like to tinker and are used to Intel chips might find the lack of OC headroom boring. I get what you're saying though. Weak might be the wrong word.

You don't really need to fight in defense of AMD anymore either. They've proven themselves over the last couple of years and those that don't see it aren't likely to magically jump on board because he changes the wording of a sentence. Some people are brand Zealots and like to pick apart anything negative said about their brand of preference. Don't do that. Just buy what makes sense for you.

schmidtbag and MonstroMart like this.
  2. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    OnnA likes this.
  3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Hilbert, you deserve more money and revenue for the honest tech reviews and the effort for offering so fine details in your reviews.
    Somehow, I just think:
    This Hilbert, he doesn't sleep, he is some weird borg person so insanely dedicated to giving the last detail for the most accurate tech review.
    But I digress...

4. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    We need to keep someone around the forum for sh!ts and giggles.

Been trying to tinker with my new 3700X a bit over the past few days (not that I am any good at it) and quite frankly I am getting the best overall performance simply letting the CPU do it's own thing which I actually think is wonderful. Despite that there're definitely some teething issues that AMD along with board vendors need to address. FWIW my system has been running very stable otherwise and the only real "concern" is the high idle voltage as we have no way of knowing how it affects the CPU longevity (I for one tend to keep my build for many years) and to a lesser extend CPU not quite boosting to the advertised speeds (though it seems like 3800X owners are not having that issue).

5. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    What's your DRAM voltage? Also, is geardownmode on or off?

6. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Geardownmode off
    1,47v dram
    4x3200c14 g.skill ripjaws

7. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    clutching at straws at buddy , I’ve got a perfectly functional push bike with two flat tires at home too.”functional” lol. Anyways I did try win7 on my 9900k and damn it took so look to update even from a fresh downloaded iso from ms “, secondly the schedulers is bad if you have anything above a 4 core system.Mate if you are as savvy are you think you are , you would use something like directory opus for file management, shut 10 for telemetry crap and classic start for the start menu and bam! A modern operating system. Again up to you. Don’t much care about flat earther mind set. Post from phone

8. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Updating a freshly installed windows 7 using the original iso is probably the most painful thing you can do with a computer these days. Last time i installed windows 7 it took like 4-6 hours updating it on a ssd using a 15MB/s internet connection. I just can't imagine how painful it must but on a standard hdd.

9. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    N
    nar mate I used a nvme 960evo was so bad.

10. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Man you had to write a lot to "justify" the careless wording. Maybe... just not be careless in the first place? And if nobody points it out, this will continue, right?

This idea that Ryzen is "a poor overclocker" is insidious and appears in many reviews and forums. I follow a lot of them. Folks with the stature of HH shouldn't be throwing the phrase around - unless he really thinks there's a significant negative and wants folks to know it. That's his privilege. But being careless isn't.

11. Global unlimited

Global unlimited Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti
    Is it really that big a deal to begin with? I don't think HH thought his wording came off that way. You got pretty upset by it for some reason. Just enjoy your CPU without joining their marketing team. Never really understood why people get behind a certain brand so hard. AMD exists to take your money, just like Intel. You don't have to crusade for them and fight for justice on their behalf.

Edit: Had to check your comment history to confirm. I realize now there's nothing I could say to make you see any other viewpoint and will just leave you be. Almost every other comment from you is a hard core crusade for AMD against the evil Intel. Zealot found. Tootles...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    nizzen likes this.
  12. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    You finally got it. And thanks in advance for keeping your pablum out of my posts in the future.

13. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I think the idle voltages are Bios issues, i'm on the AB Bios, and see quite high idle voltages too.
    My 3800X Boosts to within 15-25MHz of Max boost, currently.
    I'll have to check again to see if the Chipset drivers are up to date.

The ABB Bios seems to resolve a lot of the issues afaik.

14. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    Hello guys and gals, I made a few more tests and benchmarks with my 9900k and the results are :
    - at the same clock speed (chose 4.20Ghz) a 9900k runs actually cooler than an AMD and uses less watts (cpu only 90w@4.2) but.....
    - because they easily OC to 5.0 all cores if I run cinebench I get (very slightly) better scores than in most website benchmarks (cineR20 5150-506 5.0@allcores), now remember that ryzen 3000 basically auto-oc themselves so saying "compare stock vs stock" sorry but it doesn't work anymore, amd has almost no OC margin just like nvidia gpus,but intel doesn't do that so overclocking is absolutely fair as they still sell you a product with a margin for "better" (I'm talking about changing 2-3 settings in bios in a 2 min tweak)
    (off-topic but the car world is following that trend too, rather than sell you cars with over-built engine blocks that could handle much more horsepower, now they go toward selling you maxed engines who can't take much more without heavy changes, which is logical really their goal is to get the most money out of as little material they can)

so why am I posting this here ? read below

Cinebench R20 multi-threading : my result with 9900k@4.2Ghz = 4215
    Cinebench R20 multi-threading : Hilbert 3800x (stock I assume) review = 4965
    Cinebench R20 multi-threading : my result with 9900k@5.0Ghz = 5150

In the end, Ryzen 3000 brings you Mhz for Mhz more performance using 20% less Watts (3800x vs my 9900k) and with lower temperatures (-10°C than my 9900k but i've got better cooling than an amd wraith so ryzen would run even colder with my setup)

"AMD : same performance for cheaper, less Watts and lower temperatures" sounds better than "buy that 4.6Ghz CPU..oh wait it only does 4.2 or maybe even 4.0 if you are unlucky" fiasco https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-pre-binned-cpus-ryzen-9-3900x-ryzen-7-3700x-3800x-stats/
    they need to seriously revise their marketing as myself and I think many others quickly pulled the e-brake when Ryzen 3000 clock speeds started appearing.
    Something is not right if I have to make my own comparisons to understand in what Ryzen is better.

I was going to buy a 3900x (i need more of cpu lanes for thunderbolt 3 etc...) but since they still aren't available I guess I'll wait for the 3950x now
    p.s. I would buy a 3800x rather than a 3700x personnally, we know now, check my link above that you are paying for a better binned 8-core cpu basically, is 70$ too much really ? compared to several ssds, nvme, gpu etc ?

HandR likes this.
  15. Zippozippo

Zippozippo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I think 3900X is just the way to go if you can afford it, 12c/24t is futureproof no matter which angle youre looking at,even with minus 5fps out of 125 fps from 9900K, heck I can live with that,and I dont play at 1080p let alone 720p.

16. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    With future gpu's, you will get the same scenario that some games will be cpubound in 1440p+. So what then?

Then 3900x is not futureproof, because 15-20% slower in some cpuintensive games. 1440p is the new 1080p with future gpu's. Even with 2080ti now.

9900k is soon 1 year old, so it's not smart to buy that cpu either for "future gaming", and it's not smart to buy 3900x that IS slower than 9900k in gaming.

Both cpu's sux in different ways :D

Buy Ryzen 3600 with a used x370 MB IS smart and value for the money. ;)

-------

Intel 7980xe direct die cooled was futureproof if you bought it at day 1. Epic performance in gaming AND everything else. -if you can afford it :D

17. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    I saw the screen shot of 1.48V at 3800Mhz Dats a lot of V core! for 3800? I guess the money saved could buy a nice custom loop to lower the V core, but no overclocking? I get sick of seeing AMD this and AMD that, when we are supposed to be an Enthusiast site, people who over clock. Yet were shown none of the 4600Mhz CPU'S that were advertised by AMD, and no one seems to be bent about it? I'm not trying to flame here, I am trying to cause discussion about these very issue's(which to me are deal breakers). I'm sure ill get a warning or a ban for not seeing the light like and the other people here, then again I wont be following you over Niagara Falls Either!!!

18. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Seeing as all the AMD chips are unlocked, there's nothing stopping anyone from putting a 90W limit on the 65W CPU's ?
    ;)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    HandR likes this.
  19. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Yea I am on ABB with the newest chipset driver and my biggest issue right now is in combination with Corsair iCue. Even before ABB if I turn off iCue idle voltage drops to 1.1-1.2V. I've also noticed since updating to ABB I am getting WHEA errors again (but ID 20 variety and not the ID 17 that people's been getting I've only ever seen ID 20 on my setup); I seemed to have stop getting them when I first updated to newest chipset driver but since updating to ABB it's starting to show up again.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you shouldn't keep icue running anyway.