so, my evga 1080 catched on fire. Hoping to get a replacement. But what?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by sneipen, Aug 10, 2019.

1. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well first off it is incredible you were filming you computer and it caught on fire.I went to youtube and searched evga Gtx 1080 catching on fire and low and behold there was hundreds of them.

I actually within the last year had a power supply blow up when plugging it in and fire and flames everywhere but sad face I was not recording it.

I guess video cards catching on fire is common ,like any other electronics .Good no one was hurt or the house caught on fire.

2. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Not really. I didnt see if it was gpu, i just shut down the pc. Recorded while i turned it on again to see it was my 1080. I didnt stand by just to record it, shut the pc off right after i did see it was the gpu. Yes, there was many videos regarding evga cards. I was lucky it happened while i was Home and playing. Im not sure how bad ut would have get if i didnt turn the pc off. Its not normal that a gpu just dies like that.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  3. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Think i will just go for the 2070 the customer service dude talked about. If i dont see a 2080 super or not on sale. Like i said, plan was to skip this generstion. If the 2080ti wasnt priced like ut is i would consider that.. btw, i can add. I built several pc's, had about 10gpus over the time. Iv never experienced hardware catching on fire, only thing thst has died was a old ati9800pro. But it was vram issue. Never touch my 1080 would die because i havent had any issues with it plus So, heads up to you that have a card from 2016-2017, maybe Even got thermalpad from evga. Dosent look like that Will eliminate the issue evga had with early pascal models..

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I second the gtx2070 Super suggestion

Maddness likes this.

5. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I was referring to the photo that was posted not your pc , the one on the photo is full of dust and I am sure that didn't help the situation . Have nice day .

6. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    What's fallen off appears to be an inductor and the flame looks like an electrical arc. Most likely a capacitor failed, arc appears to jump to heatsink. [​IMG]

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    When my GTX460 caught on fire, the response I received from this forum was essentially "pics or you're a liar"..... Then I was told by a few members that it was impossible for a graphics card to catch fire in the manor that mine did. The responses you've received have been a LOT more friendly than the ones I received.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that was alot dust in there, should clean out the inside just cause there dust filter dont mean you shouldn't clean out the inside from time to time, as for 2070 vs 1080 I would think lil better from seeing the reviews then the 1080 for 4k. but imo that difference dont mater much 4k still pipe dream with current cards. better is better and free is free.

There is reason why I still have my 450gtx and from Evga, it was a RMA from when 9800gtx died, that 9800gt had lifetime warrenty and that life time warrenty carried over to the 450gtx I have original warranty paper for the 9800 and I have the paper from the 450gtx that states it carries the warranty of the original product. and the web site says this for the 450gtx too, highly doubt that rma will carry the original products warranty.

yah over years things around here have got worse in terms of friendliness.

I still remember when years back I said I dont OCed and I wont I pretty much got castrated for say such things here and people were like why you even come here? hell even now when I say I dont OC so dont recommend me something and say OC it these people still come out, lot friendly and helpfull people here if you can one sifts threw the rest.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  9. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Hi. Small update. Dosent look like i can choose replacement, Even when offering to pay the pricegap. I ser i Will get a zotac rtx 2070. Seems to be smaller then amp series. Bit mixed feelings, tho ut will probably have about same performance as the 1080. Tho, was hoping for a super, considering the hazzle.. Or i pay some cash for a 2080 since i could use something more powerfull than 1080 performance..

Yes, ut looked line a arc. It was a much larger flame than pic shows. Pic shows the beginning. Flame hited my radiator.
    Like i say, there was litle to 0 dust insider the card. Its just some ontop.

You are probably right regarding what part caused this. Seems to be om the right spor to cause the flame to spit out on the back..
    Tnx for you replies.

10. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Im in a hurry. So sorry for typos..Its my damned phone, changing every second word...

11. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Years and years ago I lost an HDD to an electric fire. It took also one of the PATA channels of the mobo with it. The HDD had a single month of warranty left of 3 years, so I took it back to the store. The staff there were quite amused by the burnt circuit board of the HDD. I paid 10 euros for the difference and got a much bigger HDD in return. I guess those electric arcs happen every now and then in PC hardware.

12. Wow, been a really long time since i have seen that happen live. It was an evga 8800 ultra. That sucks man.

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    If dust causes fire then my AMD 8350 should have exploded two years ago.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    dust can cause fire under right conditions, the stuff is flammable after all. all it takes is one spark. regardless of if you rig did or didnt explode you should clean the added heat from the dust is not good for the equipment.

then again this common sense stuff which most people lack or choose too to lack. which I find alot people in general are like this. not say you lack common sense just say alot people in general do, only you know if you lack it :)

15. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Nobody is denying dust can't cause components to burn, tho. It is rare for a gpu to be so full of dust that it starts burning or even taking dmg. On my gpu there was just some dust on the backplate, inside radiator, etc it was about 0 dust. Like i said.
    Its not that long ago since i cleaned it, and i havent had time to use the pc much after last cleaning..
    Iv have had components that hasnt been cleaned for a while, dust between radiator and card plus inside fan. Gpu has got a bit hotter but never died. Still got a old amd 6970, that thing could get really hot because of shitty cooling alone. But even after all these years it works.

Gonna pick up the replacement card later today, gonna be great to get my main rig back on its feet again. Even so if its only a op rtx 2070, and not a big upgrade in performance compared to what i had before... :p

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019

16. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Hot damn son, you been gaming in the middle of the dust bowl? Pro tip, clean out your case at least once a day. Heck, before SSD's were a thing, I used to clean out my case at loading screens. It's nice to have shorter loading times, but man is my case filthier because of them. Just remember, dust isn't just the silent killer, it can also be quite explosive.

17. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    I remember cleaning the whole house while games loaded on my old spectrum, ha.

DocStrangelove likes this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    dust didn't cause this, its probably just another FTW with a faulty component.

Caesar and Dragam1337 like this.
  19. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    dust add's to HEAT, heat makes the GPU work harder more voltage etc, to say dust doesn't matter is to say you know nothing of computers. Dust in the fan, dust on the board can cause it to SHORT out just as you have shown us. Can't wait to see what it does to your new card!!!

ZXRaziel likes this.
  20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Man a GPU on fire! Now that´s what i call hardcore! I´ve already did some pretty long gaming sessions on very hot days but never managed to make my GPU burn from it... I guess i´m not as hardcore as i thought...:p

Has for the replacement just follow Hyderz´s advice.