so, my evga 1080 catched on fire. Hoping to get a replacement. But what?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by sneipen, Aug 10, 2019.

1. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    I was playing and my 1080 started to spit out flames. I just sent the gpu back, customer service talked about sending a rtx2070 as a replacement. I told him that it would be better if i could go for another card and and pay price diffirence.. I was planing to drop this generation, but i need a new gpu. I used my 1080 on a 4k monitor, but the 2080ti is way overpriced for my taste. Im considering 2080, maybe the super edition. Cant see any reason to go for amd at this time.

What would you do? Just go for 2070, get about same performance as a 1080. See if they have any 1080ti left because it has more vram? Doubt they gave any left tho. Or go for 2080. Should i get the super edition, or? Any tips?
    Tnx.

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Wow, a card catching fire? Got any photos?

yasamoka and Caesar like this.
  3. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    You Will find videos on YouTube showing what i experienced. Just search after "evga Gtx 1080 catching on fire" On my card flame came out on back end, in front end og the chassis. Not on the side sine videos show. I godt a video, but bad connection where i am atm.

4. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    ...atleast a photo....

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    You have a card who caught fire, and you successfully RMA it.
    This implies that you proved that to the manufacturer, and you absolutely needed pictures, your purchase bill/ticket or some other proof.
    You are under no obligation to show us the pictures, but this could easily build or not your credibility in this forum.
    Understand, I am no one to tell you what to do, say or otherwise. Or no one else but you.

But since you asked our opinions, based upon a fact that some here will chose to believe or not, well... that's that.
    It's up to you.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    When my GTX460 caught fire, MSI required photo proof of fire damage before I was allowed to send it back to them. They never did tell me exactly what they found. They just sent me a new card....

7. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Funny how those people happened to be filming closeups of their gpu's without power cables attached at just the right moment.

8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I'd be happy with RTX 2700 replacement.

9. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    No new video's on EVGA catching fire(1080), all old ones.

10. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Hmm, so unless i upload a photoshowing flames this thread will be about my credibility and no replie regarding my question about what card to choose to replace my 1080.. How can i take a screenshot of one frame from my video recording?
    Its not like when you have hardware burning first thing you think of is to tkle lots of pics so im credible when posting here.

Anyways, i got this pic. Guessing this caused it. It fall out of the card when i took it out. You can see it has probably overheated.
    https://imgshare.io/image/img-20190804-153642.7KumO

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Screenshot of a one frame from a video - VLC has it and it's free as beer.

12. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
  13. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    How does the rtx2070 compare to Gtx 1080? Reson for im considering trying to get a better card than the 2070 is because of 4k resolution. So, considering the hazzle with rna etc. A card with a bit more power than the 1080 would be nice.

Sorry for typos. My phone like to change words...

14. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    I believe if you wanna do 4k you need something heavier then the RTX2070 but I have one never tested on 4K tbh

ps did fire strike Ultra bench and here are the results https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/38428296?

But when I was watching the bench it ain't looked pretty ;) and it did not reach the 4K bench points so

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  15. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I wonder if the dust contamination has anything to do with this , going by the photo that pc was filthy inside .

van_dammesque and jaggerwild like this.

16. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    It actually can, I have seen blowing things on the motherboard in a place where you could see most of the dust.

jaggerwild likes this.
  17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    dust can be flammable, so I'd expect it's possible.

18. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    I doubt the dust caused. It was just a thin layer fine dust that the filter cant catch. thermall, etc was fine, cameralight plus black pc make it look worse than it is. Radiator had about 0 dust inside. So pc is far from"filthy".

Is it allready forgotten when evga pascal cards had issues? Like catching on fire? They sent carepackages, thermal mat to present this failture Think there was a thread about it here pluss articles regarding this in 2016-2017, when i just recived my card. Reason i didnt send it back was because i touch thermalpad would prevent this.
    If its forgotten,at least it can suggest for evga that this issue havent hurt their brand. People forget. :p

Is fanboy'ism strong here? First forum credibility gets brough up when asking about advice regarding new gpu. Or, if there is some dust showing on black componments like a backplate under strong light causes parts to burst into flames and fall off. If that was normal, i dont think many pc's or console's would live another day.
    Didnt think it would be this shocking that a gpu from a brand from a time where they had issues that killed my card would be this surprising.. weird hehe

19. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    if i were you id grab the RTX 2070 and call it a day, save your money when the next gen comes out.
    U can sell the rtx2070 then add some cash grab something to your liking :)

Maddness, Undying and Caesar like this.
  20. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Maybe the RTX 2070 Super and pay the difference? If there's less difference to pay than for 2080.