Upgrading from XB270HU

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by JBCool, Jun 5, 2019.

1. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Hey guys,

I'm wondering if there are any good upgrade options from my Acer XB270HU? I'm looking for something bigger that still has G-Sync. I was thinking about the LG 32GK650G-B.

Any suggestions?

2. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Update:

I went ahead and ordered the LG 32GK650G-B, which is arriving tomorrow. I'm curious how much I'll like the switch to VA from IPS and the loss of PPI. It's gonna look a lot bigger on my desk though. ;)

I'll let people know which one I decide to keep.

Cyrax and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    So,

I'm still on the fence about the new monitor. I've been using IPS for a while, and VA feels like a small step backwards. The monitor is large and has no curve, so colors look a bit washed out on the edges of the screen when you sit at a normal distance from it. Colors directly in front of you look fine for the most part.

VA definitely doesn't have the light, silvery glow on a dark screen that IPS does. It's not jet black though. It still glows a dark grey. The improved contrast ratio is noticeable when looking at lights in caves or explosions in space, etc. I guess I still prefer IPS for most things.

I think 31.5in is too large for 1440p, at least for desktop/internet/business stuff. Text is coarse looking and it seems like I've gone back to 2008. Games look pretty good though, and it does feel a bit more immersive over a 27in.

My particular unit doesn't have any defects like dead pixels or backlight bleed, which is great! It runs at 165hz with G-Sync and feels like total butter, which I love.

Overall for $425, the LG 32GK650G-B is a great deal for a gaming monitor. I kinda feel like I took one step forward and two back when comparing it to the Acer, however. The viewing angles on the LG are a little disappointing. I'm pretty tempted to return the LG and get a curved 21:9 IPS with 144hz.

But I'm still deciding :)

4. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    An update on this riveting story:

I'm returning the LG.

The LG is a fine monitor with better quality control than my Acer. However the low PPI, the lower G2G time and the rather unimpressive viewing angles don't make it worth the money. If the panel was curved and 4k, I'd be all over it. I enjoyed the 31.5 inch screen and will miss it slightly, but its not worth the $$$.

I think I'm going to try a 21:9 monitor next.

5. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Ordered the LG 34GK950F-B for $899 from Amazon. Arrives tomorrow. Very Exited! :D

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  6. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The LG 34GK950F-B is great so far, but has a bright red stuck pixel. :( I'm gonna try to get Amazon to send another one, because overall, the monitor rocks. I'll go into more detail once I get one that doesn't have panel issues.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  7. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I have a curved ultrawide VA monitor and do not notice any wash out but watching someone else play its very obvious. I went from a 34" IPS UW to my current 35" VA UW and def like the VA better but there are pros and cons to all panel types so I am glad that you are happy with your purchase, minus the dead pixel. I had to play the panel lottery on my screen as well, first one had a defective gsync module and it was pretty terrible. 2nd one worked out great though! Let us know how your next one turns out and how you like UW- total game changer imo.

8. freeman28

freeman28 Guest

I bought one 32GK650F and one 32GK850G, both VA, and returned both because the smearing on darker games is horrible.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Personally I'm going to upgrade to LG UltraGear 27GL850-B later this year if it turns out to be good. Should be perfect compromise while waiting for high refresh rate 4K displays (which is going to take quite some time...).

10. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Amazon is telling me they won't send a replacement, because the replacement might have the exact same issue, and the product is under review.:confused:

They're still selling it on their website, so it's strange. Amazon used to be really easy to deal with.

(update): So I've spoken to literally a dozen people via chat and email and Amazon is finally sending a replacement. :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    fluidz and eGGroLLiO like this.

11. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    So the replacement monitor had rather excessive backlight bleed and IPS glow. :( I sent it back and am using the one with the hot, stuck pixel.

QC still seems to be an issue with 144hz+ IPS panels. I like the monitor overall, and I'm wondering how long I should play the panel lottery for, at Amazon's expense.

When a monitor is this expensive, I feel it should be very close to perfect.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    fluidz likes this.
  12. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The hot pixel monitor is on it's way back to Amazon, and I'm using my old 16:9 Acer. It feels so narrow now, kinda like watching an Edison movie. :p

I love the LG though, and I'm going to hold out for one without a defect that stares me in the face every day.

(To be continued.......)

13. Krillers

Krillers Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX oc2060
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I am allso on the lookout for a new monitor and I have been reading alot of reviews. Unfotunately I had a bad experience with extreme backlight bleed from a new Asus monitor, which I bought 3 months ago and decided to return.

The one I have right now is my old 23.8 inch IPS Asus monitor which have 1 stuck pixel, but no backlight bleed problems.

It’s crazy that we these QA problems in the year 2019, but maybe the technology will evolve if we wait a little longer :p

14. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Third monitor has arrived. Has some light bleed and a dead pixel in the middle of the screen.

Do other people just accept these faults, or do I just have unrealistic expectations?

15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    No, I just think you have terrible luck. Return it with instructions that you'd like the next one inspected before shipping.

16. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    That would save them some money :p

17. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    I'm looking to replace my monitor as well. I feel my mouse isn't as responsive as it was under a VA & TN panel; although I can't tell if its the monitor, or a GPU driver bug, its not my mouse - and it mainly bugs me in CS:GO. I'm running the PG279; which I absolutely love and got for a steal of a price.

I was thinking about a 32inch, curved, 1440p and 144hz monitor; but after reading about your experience, I don't know if its for me... that is if the pixel density is way off. Although I've had people say good things about its pixel density so I don't know. It wouldn't feel as an 'upgrade' either considering how solid the PG279 is.

I want to sell my current monitor and not have to add more than $100 CAD for the new one; making my choices very limited considering the market.

18. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    It has the same pixel density of a 27" widescreen 1440p monitor, its just about perfect imo. Like I mentioned earlier, I had to get a second one as the first was garbage. Its ludicrous that they can charge outlandish prices and have such terrible quality control but when you get one thats flawless, you get what you pay for.

edit* almost immediately after I posted this I realized that you were not talking about an ultrawide monitor. A 24" monitor at 1080p has 91.8 ppi and a 32" 1440p monitor has 91.8 ppi, exactly the same. Try it and see how you feel, I personally like 100 ppi or better but ymmv.

19. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Monitor #4 is on it's way.

I obviously like what this particular model offers, which is why I keep trying to get one that is acceptable. However, if the next one has an issue, I'm going to look elsewhere.

It's $900. It should just work.

20. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I agree $900 it should just work,where did I read that before ;).
    I am not complaining or trying to give you a hard time but none of this seems right.I have bought at least 4 different monitors this year and certainly many over the last 20 years.
    I do not think I ever had a stuck pixel or if I did, just touched it and it went away(EG:After doing a cleaning and pressed a little to hard)

Maybe I am just not aware of IPS light bleed or stuck pixels .

I would like to know ,if your doing specific test in looking for problems or are they just that obvious anyone would notice.Just so I know on my next monitor purchase which has been about a month or two since I bought one but I am looking for a Freesync 2 monitor at the moment.
    I want to know if I will be receiving a 100% good product if your doing specific test .