BIG tower wanted!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 386SX, Aug 7, 2019.

1. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Hi there.

Anybody knows some really, really big tower with good airflow and a lot of space?
    Req.: 6x 3,5" and 4x 2,5"
    2x 120 or 2x 140 mounts on top
    1x 120 mount or bigger / more on the side (GPU)
    BEST (but not required) would be 1x 120 or more sitting left over the CPU mount (I got a Noctua NH-C14s which blows onto the MB)
    ATX PSU compatible
    space for a Powercolor Vega 64 Red Devil (about 320mm long!)

My favorite was some BeQuiet Silent Base 800, but those went EOL it seems, at least not available for a reasonable price anymore in Germany.

Anyone got a model in mind?

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Fractal Design Meshify S2 C maybe?

386SX likes this.
  3. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Almost nailed it, but the versions without window don't provide any GPU fan mount and I guess the bottom fan mounts will partially get covered by the PSU.
    Are there no more real big towers like back in the 80's / 90's? Those "server-like" towers where you could sit on? Something like this?:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0002GFTU8

It seems everything what is called BIG tower today was a small form factor back then. :D

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    386SX likes this.

5. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Theres the BeQuiet Dark Base 900 ?
    https://www.bequiet.com/en/case/704
    doesn't have the side fan vent though, but not many of the cases I saw have one anymore....

Or this Antec case GX200
    http://antec.com/product/case/gx200.php
    This one has the side vent, but no top rad mount, only front mount by the looks of it....and you might lose the drives...

Not going to be easy for you...

386SX likes this.
  6. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Fractal Define R6? That's the Fractal case to get if you need lots of drives. It's 1 5.25", 6 3.5" and 2 2.5" but wait, there's more.... There are actually more mounts than brackets that are supplied with the case, there are a total of 11 mounts for 3.5" (which 2.5" brackets can use too) and 4 dedicated 2.5" mounts, 2 on the reverse side of the motherboard tray and 2 on the PSU shroud as well as the lonely 5.25" bay. (So if you need to use more mounts you'd have to buy additional brackets/tray kits, I don't think they're expensive though).

https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r6-black-tg

Are you wanting a vent on the side panel? (Don't think the R6 has that) but for airflow, R6 is very good and if you need to increase the airflow, you can remove the door on the front of the unit (designed so hinges can be swapped to the other side or removed).

I have the R6 TG edition and it houses my Fury Nitro nicely (it's a big card too)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    386SX likes this.
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, couldn`t resist...

sykozis and 386SX like this.
  8. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    But ... but ... but ... I only need ONE tower ... my wife will kill me if she has to vacuum both towers ... :D

It DOES have a side vent: https://skinflint.co.uk/be-quiet-dark-base-900-black-bg011-a1453707.html, but only "rev. 1" it seems ... crazy! :D
    But thanks, somehow I only saw the "PRO rev.2" listed for more than 200 Euros (which is too much for me, not like "I cannot afford it" but more like "I do not want to throw out my money")

I keep this in mind. Thank you very much!

Looks nice, but no side fan vent and "too small" for what I want to do. But thanks anyway for your contribution. The case itself indeed isn't bad, it only doesn't fit my needs. ;)

sykozis and mbk1969 like this.
  9. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Evga DG-8 series

It is huge (bigger than any other cases i seen), expensive and i absolutly love it, i had my DG-87 since 2017.
    The airflow with room for lots of 140mm fans make it ultra silent and it is just fantastic to work with.
    Need lots of room on your desk.

386SX likes this.
  10. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    the old HAFX would suit your purpose

386SX likes this.

11. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Phanteks Enthoo Primo would house all that, run in this case 8x 3.5" HDD and 4x SSD without the issue, NH-D15 and that time run 2x GPU setup(Titan X SC with 1469MHz OC and Raijintek Morpheus II cooler and Zotac GTX1080 AMP)

At top you can mount up to 420mm radiator or 3*140mm fans and on bottom 2*140mm fans

Airflow in this case is pretty good and never have issues with airflow in this case

Later I run in this case 360mm radiator on top with 240mm 60mm thick radiator on bottom and 3*GPUs setup

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

386SX likes this.
  12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I like Lian Li cases. And have one...

386SX likes this.
  13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    https://www.thermaltake.com/core-x71-tempered-glass-edition.html I have this case my self and I found it to be a nice size case. The only thing that might annoy you, is the tempered glass panel some times not being mesh with the rest of the case. It does support up to 420mm Rad in the front and then 360mm on the top and in the bottom part of the case in the sides and even come with the mounting to do it on either sides. It will fit any GPU length and does have a option to do vertical GPU if that something that interest you. This a older photo of my case, so I don't have the bottom part open to show you.

You could take a look at super towers but then those might be bigger then what then what you really want.

[​IMG]

386SX likes this.
  14. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Whew, what a flood of input, thanks!

GenClaymore posted the X71, imagine this + half the height added on top.

Some models posted or named are indeed "massive" and contain a lot of options, but are no reasonable choice for me, sometimes because of width, glass instead of a metal door (glass transports heat very lousy compared to metal / alu / copper / etc.), no fans on the GPU side or are simply too small.
    I am very sorry to sound sooo picky about that, probably I haven't expressed all my requirements. But what I did was a comprehensive and full search for new towers before coming here, and I couldn't find any tower fitting my needs.

So for the moment I think I will go with the BeQuiet DarkBase 900 (rev.1!), which is about 140 - 150 Euros at where I live. Probably it drops in price a bit, let's see.
    If only the X71 didn't have this ugly glass or the Phanteks one be double the prize of the DarkBase 900 ...

(at) all: Thank you again for your help. If nobody knows a bigger tower (below 200 bucks, better in the 100 - 150 range) I may stay at the Bequiet DB900 and start the planning phase.

Oh btw.: @fantaskarsef :
    When starting from geizhals.de or .at you may change the language to EU by clicking on the flag in the top left edge of the window. It changes to geizhals.eu. Then look again, some other flags popped up. Then I chose the British flag to get to skinflint.co.uk. You may even do that while in a "compare" view, and parts only get translated.

Grüße an die nichtexistenten Kängurus und angenehmen Abend. ;)

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Personally I don't like BeQuiet cases just from airflow point of view, I bought used for friend Enthoo Primo I think for £90 which has been in almost new condition, there have been few scratches but nothing extreme and friend bought used Enthoo Primo for £45 and too in very good condition with everything

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

386SX likes this.

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    There's a lot of stealthy German language speakers around here... :D

Yeah I figured something like this later on as well, just was in a bit of a hurry, sitting at work and all.

One thing I might add is that probably, the Corsair 900D is big enough for your needs as well, but it's not really that great of a case and pretty costly. Have it for my current build but realistically I plan to replace it with the next one.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    386SX likes this.
  17. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Corsair 900D and Enthoo Primo are both available for more than 200 Euros, used, on flea-bay. Enthoo is + 26 Euros for shipping from GB, Corsair same OR used for 280 from Germany, "only pickup" (no shipping) and 800km away. Nope. :D

I hate Bequiet myself and I would love to get an Enthoo (I like the concept of putting the PSU "sideways" and adding a fan below the GPU; haven't found that in other towers yet), but at this price tag ... I guess I get a Bequiet and strip out all fans to replace them with Noctua ones.

jura11, Evildead666 and fantaskarsef like this.
  18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes me too, my next build will have an Enthoo, thanks to @jura11 's comments and expertise with the case.

386SX likes this.
  19. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    The enthoo luxe 2 should release in september, but it's going to be over 200 euros.

I had doubts between the luxe 2 and o11d xl from lian li but decided to go with lian li, should release at the begining of september. Now it doesn't have a side fan blowing on the gpu but it should have good airflow blowing from bottom fans directly on the gpu.

If the xl is too big you might consider the normal o11d.

386SX likes this.
  20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah but... did you ever check the price on a new Corsair 900D? Buy some sound dampening panels for it too and you're almost at double that price... crazy.

386SX likes this.