CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) Tips, Tricks and Monitors OC (LCD/LED/CRT)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 3, 2016.

1. FriskyNoodle

FriskyNoodle Guest

GPU:
    1070 Seahawk X
    I just found out about this. I have all the timings set up, monitor is sitting at 100hz, but I cant enable freesync because there is no gsync option on NVCP. Im using dual link DVI cable. Is there no way to get the nvidia driver to force gsync on over Dual link DVI so I get the freesync going or am I sol and I have to have a Nvidia Card. Thanks.

2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    AMD's FreeSync HDMI extension is unofficial (not HDMI VRR) and Nvidia does not support that.

3. FriskyNoodle

FriskyNoodle Guest

GPU:
    1070 Seahawk X
    So after enabling freesync range on CRU, I can't use an Active DP to Dual Link DVI cable? Then NVCP will think I'm using Display Port out and show "Enable Gsync" Option theoretically.

So I have to use an AMD card, no matter what with this monitor that is supported?

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    For nV it's only avaible by Native DP ImhO.
    Lots of Freesync Tweaks are avaible but only for ATI GPUs.
    If i can suggest something to help You bro, just try to connect Monitor with GPU by DP cable (find some good 1.4 DP cable w/32GB/s)

Up to 15€ for good cable (2m or 3m)

5. FriskyNoodle

FriskyNoodle Guest

GPU:
    1070 Seahawk X

The monitor is the QNIX but only accepts DVI Dual Link. Why I purchased an Active DP to DVI Dual Link adapter. So NVCP is like "oh that's DP 1.2" and the enable gsync option shows up once it's recognized. (in theory). Then, enable gsync and get the benefits of the freesync range from CRU. (I know it isn't GSync, but only way to enable vrr on Nvidia GPU).

If the cable is good enough, will I be able to get the freesync working on the monitor or do I absolutely need an AMD card to click "enable freesync" in the driver.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Honestly? i don't know.
    Try & error is the way to go, maby there is some possiblity to turn the FS On.

7. FriskyNoodle

FriskyNoodle Guest

GPU:
    1070 Seahawk X

I'll get the cable tonight and report back with results.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Don't bother, it won't work. HDMI EDID extensions that report FreeSync support are not the same as how DisplayPort protocols report FreeSync (Adaptive Sync) support.

You'll have to use an AMD card and FreeSync won't work except over SL-DVI, meaning that any high refresh rates over 60Hz you'd have to kiss goodbye. I'm the one who originally reported (and demonstrated) this working on the Qnix QX2710. The monitor would hit 110Hz over DL-DVI and once FreeSync is enabled, SL-DVI would limit me to about 57Hz before artifacts became an issue.

This is a hack for a reason. Invest in a real G-Sync / FreeSync display.

9. patteSatan

patteSatan Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6700xt
    Hi, just a question, after googling and trying to find an answer:
    I have this: https://www.philips.se/c-p/242G5DJEB_00/brilliance-lcd-skaerm-med-smartimage-game/specifikationer

Sorry that I couldnt find any specs in english, might be eu only, or even swedish only, dont know...
    And an R9 390, the sapphire one with the backplate.

Is it even possible to turn on freesync on my display, and, if so, what frequences should I put into the freesync range?

I know it doesent have freesync support, but trying it wouldnt hurt, my head hurts atm, trying whatever tips for turning freesync on, on a "no-freesync" monitor.

Btw, I tried it with a DP-cable, havent tried with any of the other connectors....yet....

/Regards
    Patrik

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    30-144 or 48-144

patteSatan likes this.

11. DigDeep

DigDeep Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX580 GTS Black
    Hi! First thank you for this wonderfull tool and AMD how can you ask more money for monitors with freesync, it is the same as if you would ask more money for Antialiasing, Anistropic filtering etc.

My problem is that I dont know wich https://i.**********/GmyvJD8q/Opomba-2019-08-11-145506.png features to enable for HDMI 2.0 on LG 27mp38vq

12. DigDeep

DigDeep Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX580 GTS Black
    There is one issue with freesync, youtube video in full screen goes black, when disabled it works fine.

edit: Disabling Hardware acceleration in Firefox fixes this, but this should not be considered as fix as now Hardware acceleration is disabled.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Normal behavior. Your media player is enabling a mode that uses exclusive fullscreen, and thus triggering FreeSync. The video is operating probably at 24fps, so is outside of your FS range.

Soluition: enable a game profile for the player, and disable FreeSync. (I had to do this with MPC and GSync Compatible)

or, use a output mode that doesn't trigger exclusive fullscreen

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Web browsers do not support exclusive fullscreen.

15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    EVR mode will trigger FreeSync too.

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    YouTube uses EVR?

17. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    They need to be using an exclusive mode for secure content, esp for HD, UHD, and HDR.

18. DigDeep

DigDeep Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX580 GTS Black
    I guess I will leave hardware acceleration disabled then in order to have fresync and youtube in full screen. Thank you. What about hdmi 2.0 which features to enable? And are there any other features which can make monitor better?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  19. DigDeep

DigDeep Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX580 GTS Black
    Black screen appears in games too, what is the point of freesync then or does this happen only on some monitors.

20. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Ahh, check the monitor to see if you have any pixel acceleration enabled. If so, set to Standard.