Gigabyte removes PCIe 4.0 from 300 and 400 series Motherboards

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Caesar, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Gigabyte removes PCIe 4.0 option from their 300 and 400 series motherboards (x470 to A320) as from F42a BIOS :

1. Update AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABB
    2. Improve Destiny 2 gaming compatibility
    3. Remove PCIe Gen4 support when using a 3rd Gen Ryzen (Matisse) CPU

[​IMG]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # similar updates may come from ASUS, MSI, and ASRock over the coming days/weeks.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's not gigabyte that is removing PCI-Express 4.0, it's AMD. They stated it themselves that new AGESA will stop PCI-Express 4.0 support, which is sad, since i think they should leave it up to the manufacturers of the boards to determine if it's possible and stable on their own boards, but it is their product.

3. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    The option to enable PCIE 4 is still in the bios. I don't have a PCIE 4.0 device to test so don't know for sure if it works or not.

Also I agree, it is silly for AMD to restrict capable motherboards from using this option. I guess I will be looking for a modded bios in the future whenever I decide to upgrade my M.2 or if we see PCIE 4 being a performance factor on future GPUs. Which I imagine by the time the latter happens, I will probably be on a different board anyways. Shrugs.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it doesn't work.

leaving it in with 1.0.0.2 was a good cause of whea errors.

waltc3 likes this.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's unlikely to happen. Maybe in 10 years. PCI-Express 2.0 16x vs 3.0 16x shows a 1-2 fps difference, if any (which is why SLI/Crossfire works just fine at PCI-Express 3.0 8x speeds)

They'd have to drastically change something with how graphics cards work and how much bandwidth they require to make PCI-Express 4.0 effect it at all.