Intel launches eleven 10nm 'Ice Lake' laptop processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Caesar likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    i7-1068G7 - very consumer friendly to remember this exact processor name :D

Caesar likes this.
  3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Let's be honest: most consumers don't actually look at that.
    Girls just want white wile dudes just want something black. Dad pays for it.

mohiuddin likes this.
  4. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    Integrated WiFi? How strange.

5. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Most cores of my i7 9700k "are" dormant (and still no HT) .....as the true benefits of the multiple processor's core(s) to be seen, the software that is running on the computer must be written to support it....

IMO, the majority of consumers will see no tangible benefits from going beyond new processor(s) as there is so little non-specialized software that can take advantage of it. Anyway, there may be people who can consider such processors as new build but "not" for upgrade...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019

6. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    What's strange about integrated WiFi?

theoneofgod likes this.
  7. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    4-core ICL-U is as fast as 6-core CML-U.

8. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Games are beginning to run at 6-8 cores and well optimized editor tools can fill up 8 cores or more.
    I am running the 1700 and slowly it is getting better and better, because new games use the extra cores, singlecore stuff is still slow though.
    If you do stuff like game and stream with encoding, the extra power needed for the encoding does not hurt you as much on the 9700k as it would on a 9600k.
    A lot of the 4-6 core no HT CPUes show bad stuttering in games, if the OS is not super clean or background stuff is running.

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You have no idea what the speed differences in IPC of ice lake or comet lake are, comet lake is unreleased, and ice lake hasn't been benchmarked.

Even if comet lake has no IPC increase over skylake, which i believe is what people expect, and ice lake has an 18% IPC increase as intel has stated (but hasn't been tested), how exactly does an IPC of 18% increase somehow make a un-disclosed frequency 4-core icelake processor faster then a 6 core comet lake processor?

I state un-disclosed because you didn't state what frequencies they are, so i can only expect that it'll be the same frequency between them.

So, if they were equal, the 6 core comet processor would be 50% faster then the 4-core icelake processor, but then add that 18% IPC increase to icelake and you'd get the 6-core comet lake processor being 32% faster then the 4-core icelake processor, so again, where is your logic, or lack thereof? Ofcourse a 4-core any processor CAN be faster then a 6-core any processor as CLOCK SPEEDS can be drastically different on them, but you didn't say a "4Ghz 4-core ice lake processor is faster then a 3.2Ghz 6-core comet lake processor", which would be moot point anyways. No, you stated simply that all 4-core icelake processors are as fast as a 6-core comet lake processor. Pure nonsense.

Seriously why are you still on these forums when you continue to troll, hard?

Caesar likes this.
  10. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
  11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If you feel someone else is trolling, why add to it?

Let's be nice people. Only warning for everyone.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    People believe trolls when no one calls them out for their nonsense. Not everyone who follows these or any forums are educated enough to not get pulled in and believe the pure fabrication that comes out of people like coth.

13. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Aside that you personally don't add anything educated yourself. If you see something not following your agenda, then people are immediately idiots and trolls. It's easier to stick labels rather than being smart and educated.

14. reb0rn

reb0rn Member

GPU:
    2x MSI gaming x 1070
    Ice lake has a lot architect gains and I am sure IPC is a lot better, BUT can they fix the turbo boost up to ~5ghz?! soonish
    because if they can not then IPC alone mean not a lot

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Not my agenda, it's reality. Anyone here would be able to say that if i had an agenda, it'd be towards AMD, but i did not call you out on anything to do with AMD, this is about intel, and reality. And i did show clear information that shows you are incorrect. I didn't reply to your last post, because it shows irrelevant information. It shows unreleased CPUs that aren't 100% known what they are (no i don't mean naming, i mean what they are actually set up as) or what conditions they were tested in or what actual frequencies were used firmware and etc. as these can and do get reported incorrectly.

As i originally stated, 18% IPC does not equate 50% increase in performance, and your original statement was: "4-core ICL-U is as fast as 6-core CML-U." which by itself is not true. Again, also stated in my original reply, that does not mean a 4 core system can not beat a 6 core system, if the 18% increase in IPC comes also with a higher frequency then obviously it can close that gap, match it, or even do better. But, again, again and again, that's not what you said.

If you want to not be labeled as a troll, then state what you actually mean, because if you ACTUALLY meant that ALL 4-core ICL-U are as fast as 6-core CML-U, that's where the issue is, because that's factually incorrect.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I love the warning that I gave is not being listened to. So I'm going to try one more time.

Grow up. Stop. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all.

17. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Looking at the comparison to whiskey lake, there is very little I improvement (except avx). But this is expected since its pretty much an new, and yet to mature node. 10 nm + (if there is ever one) Will be interesting

mohiuddin likes this.

18. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    There gotta be a 10nm+ . Coz without it how can we get 10nm++? Or more importantly 10nm+++? Hmm?

Clawedge likes this.
  19. chrislondon

chrislondon Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    This is probably already 10nm+. Cannon Lake was 10nm, and the yields were horrible.

Only PCIE 3.0? Pass.

RavenMaster likes this.
  20. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Well clearly he wasn't trolling and you are acting like an ass. Just man up, apologize, and move on.

Here's some more benchmarks of this "unknown blah blah..." Intel Ice Lake i7-1065G7 from an event they had yesterday here in California. They were given a system for 8 hours and had no restrictions on benchmark software, how they tested, or what. Except they weren't allowed to test noise, battery life, or skin temp.

https://www.legitreviews.com/intel-10nm-ice-lake-benchmarks-on-the-core-i7-1065g7-processor_213374