R7 3700X+MSI X570 Gaming Plus SATA Issue

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by fredgml7, Jul 29, 2019.

1. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    Hello people.

I just got my combo (R7 3700X+MSI X570 Gaming Plus+2x8GB Crucial 3200Mhz) last friday and set it up last weekend.
    So before I set it up in my case, I tested it outside, first I updated the BIOS to the newest, and after some stress tests (AIDA64), it was all fine, then I went ahead and set it up in my case, Installed Win10 (1903) and chipset drivers, at the moment I tried to install any other driver (VGA, LAN etc.) the system get stuck (sometimes BSOD) and reboots.
    So I've tried a lot of things and end up discovering that the issue was the fact that I had a device (DVD-RW) connected to one of SATA ports provided by Asmedia (they are 2). If I just unplug data cable the issue goes away.
    The funny part is that any devices connected to those SATA ports actually works, but the system crashes when I try to install any driver LOL

I still have some tests to do like seeing if this also happens to Linux.

Does anyone have any clues how to solve this?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    update the bios to 7C37vA2 it shipped with a 1.0.0.1 agesa

3. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    It was the first thing I did before testing it..:D

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

5. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    No, this one is newer. I just installed it now.

I have good news. Looks like that the issue only occurs with the DVD-RW drive, I tested another ssd that I have here and I had no problem.
    I hope this helps someone else.

Another good news, I tested my old Debian 9 instalation (i5 + Z77) on Ryzen and it booted flawless, everything working very snap, sound, LAN, USBs etc. I thought I would have to install it again or go to Debian 10. :D

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i've seen intel sata drivers break ODD's before, maybe the AMD one is doing something similar.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Could it be related to PCIe 3.0 vs 4.0 modes? I would try to set in bios all PCIe that can be set to 3.0 mode. It is possible that till driver is installed device communicates in something like 1.0 mode and as it gets driver it attempts to go into conflicting settings.

8. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    I actually tried setting to PCIe to 3.0 and even 2.0, but the issue persists. There's 1.0 option too, but I didn't try it.

9. OldWorldDisorder

OldWorldDisorder Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I wish I would of seen this thread before I RMA'd my motherboard. Which SATA ports are Asmedia? I didn't notice any mention of them in the manual.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there shouldn't be any asmedia ports on it.?

11. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
  12. OldWorldDisorder

OldWorldDisorder Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Ah I see, thank you. So you haven't noticed any other issues as long as the disc drive is plugged into SATA 3-6?

13. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    No, It works just fine.

Did you have the same problem? Tell us about.

14. OldWorldDisorder

OldWorldDisorder Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I did a fresh install of Windows and had no problems installing drivers, but I started getting WHEA 17 errors, and Sfc /scannow was showing corrupted files that couldn't be fixed, so I decided to re-install Windows. This time around when I tried to install the AMD chipset and LAN drivers my computer would freeze and restart every time. I didn't really pay attention to what SATA port the disc drive was plugged into for my first install, but I'm sure the 2nd time around I had the hard drive and disc drive in SATA ports 1 and 2.

I've been reading more about the WHEA 17 error and Sfc scan showing corrupted files, and they appear to be separate issues that will require waiting for BIOS and Windows updates.

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Will definitely be avoiding sata 1 and 2 on my nephews build this weekend when we build his PC using this motherboard. Really wish he would have listened to me and got the Gigabyte Aorus Elite like i told him.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    AMD are masking the WHEA warnings in the new agesa, (not fixing them).

17. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    I consider this thread "Solved".

18. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    I just wanted to add, I had an ASMEDIA controller that did two ports to make the 8 total on an intel board. The ASMEDIA doesn't have a large BIOS rom on it, and hence only does HDD's or SSD's (slowly, at that). If you try to plug an optical drive into it, all kinds of stupid things happen because the BIOS doesn't know what to do, it doesn't have the functions for it (and it states to NOT this in the Z97 chipset Maximus Hero VII manual). So likely your symptoms would mimic 'faulty PCI-E hardware' at best and a complete BSOD or system lock-up at worst.
    This is SUPPOSED to be stated in the manual. If it is NOT, someone needs to tell the motherboard manufacturer to make an addendum or a card to throw in the box, or they'll be getting a lot of boards back!
    I have an AsRock Phantom Gaming 4 x570 with 8 sata ports, I will have to see if I can replicate that and update AsRock if that happens. I don't remember seeing it in this manual either (but it's no Asus, Asus has gotten SO much better in the last 20~22 years with their manuals. I saved one from around 98 solely for laughs).

19. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    Yeah. Probably it's the same issue.
    I have to admit, I didn't read the manual entirely :oops:, so maybe MSI has done the homework. I had to find out by my self.:cool: