What happens when game streaming becomes the norm?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Serotonin, Jul 24, 2019.

1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That's already happened with services like Steam. Nobody "owns" games anymore, and if Valve/Steam goes belly up then our game library is kaput. Also, Stadia allows you to buy individual games without a subscription.

I would never give up my personal PC, but I also welcome developments in game streaming. Most people turn to consoles because they're cheaper and more convenient, but game streaming allows an even cheaper and more convenient method of gaming (you don't have to shell out $300 for a console, and you can game from anywhere). If it succeeds, then the advantage will swing towards PC games, which will benefit all of us (less console exclusives and crappy console ports). Basically, anything that helps make PC gaming more popular and accessible is fine with me.

Serotonin likes this.
  2. garyb

garyb Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    There is a slight difference steam has been going for many years and its basically the heart of PC gaming even though it has started to get competition i see no threat to steam. Stadia is the one that's going to struggle the most its owned by google LOL, Sony and MS will be the only ones that have a chance (however they did say this is focused more on non hardcore gamers)

They all have a long road ahead to convince gamers this is the best way forward.

Only time will tell.

3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Steam had lots of growing pains early on and really struggled at first (gamers really hated it in the beginning). Also, Stadia offers something that Steam cannot, and that will be its main selling point: the ability to play AAA PC games without a PC. It also offers different games (PC games) compared to Sony or Microsoft's potential game streaming services (console games).

4. garyb

garyb Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    Stadia in my opinion will flop other company's have tried and failed but i will eat my words if it's a success :)

5. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Depends on the seller. While Steam only gives you "access to the files", GoG allows you to download and backup every installer. You "own" the games there. So it can be done, but big corporations don't give a $hit.

6. Odarnok

Odarnok Active Member

GPU:
    32 GB DDR3 2133 MHz
    Data caps are legit in US?

I pay 70 euro for symmetric 600 megabit/s ,unlimited calls (landline and mobile), and 30 GB with 4g , without data cap (when 30 GB are reached, connection becomes 3g, but you have it without extra cost)

It's normal price in my country.

About streaming... I don't want It, I love mods.