MSI X570 cpu 8+4 pin compatible my power supply ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by harlan, Jul 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. harlan

harlan Guest

Hello,

I have buy a MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI motherboard with a 3700x.
    I want to use my power supply Be Quiet ! Pure Power L8, 630W but it has no additionnal 4 pin CPU connector.
    The motherboard needs a 8+4 cpu pin.

So it is necessary to buy a new power supply ?

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Not at all.
    Watch it here.
    One 8-pin CPU connector can deliver up to 375 W , more than enough for your CPU.

3. harlan

harlan Guest

ok thank you.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ignore that video, x570 boards are different beasts and just about all of them require both pins connected.

Buildzoid is not a qualified board engineer and bases his misinformed opinions on the visible trace layer.

Quite a few users with WHEA errors on 1.0.0.3AB bios's have failed to connect both and rectifying this completely eradicated them.

Usually when the additional eps header is optional, it is written as such in the manual, none of the x570 boards i have read indicate it as optional and all of them have connecting both in the troubleshooting sections.

GSDragoon and Geryboy like this.

5. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    So if a single 8-pin supplies enough power what's the justification or reasoning for adding the extra 4-pin? Genuinely curious as I just finished my new 3700X build today and it's my first build in over 6 years so I want to make sure I get everything right.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Get reduction from PCIe 8-pin to EPS 4-pin. 3700X could be easily powered by single 4-pin EPS even mildly OCed.

EPS in contrast to PCIe does not have sense wires. It is dumb connector with 4x +12V and 4x GND. Often boards have all 4 GNDs soldered to form group and all +12V form another group. (Just to prevent issues in case that one of contacts in connector is not good.)
    In those cases, you could put one half of 8-pin EPS to 4-pin and other half to 8-pin. Board would operate all the same And would have absolutely no way of telling how it is powered.

Even 4-pin ATX for CPU is actually pin and shape compatible with 8-pin EPS. And GND/+12V are in proper positions. Once I had to plug one piece 8-pin EPS into 4-pin ATX on board, so half of 8-pin was unused.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Which is sound logic for previous boards, but is not working as we expect with x570 boards, something is underpowered with just the single 8 pin and making the pci-e controller to operate unstably.

Theres something happening july 30th though, in regards to all the current ryzen 3k issues.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Then it is more of an issue of PSU itself. I doubt my EVGA 750G3 (which is not strong PSU), but still has 62A on +12V would have any issue powering it just via split 4+4-pin EPS. Cables are thick enough to minimize Vdrop.
    Capacitors on board are there to deal with ripple. There may be some other issue causing PCIe fail to achieve 4.0 speeds. But from power perspective itself, 3700X should not have trouble to operate with weaker PSU.

PCIe 4.0 seems rather troubled in comparison to 3.0. While I did not exactly demand AMD to enable 4.0 on older boards, there was that big difference between 3.0 working while daisy-chaining PCIe extension cables for few meters and 4.0 barely working at few centimeters distance.
    (And for me it is hard to believe that standard for 4.0 got out in shape where it has such issues by design. Especially since 5.0 is supposedly behind corner. And makes one wonder how that's going to work.)

9. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  10. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    I have to say I went over the manual of my board (Asus X570-E Gaming) it does actually say install the 8-pin OR both 8-pin and 4-pin. How do I check for WHEA error and what AGESA version I am on? I can't find any info on what version AGESA my bios is on the Asus page.

11. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Open the windows event viewer an look for error 17 in the warnings log. Software like HWINFO64 can tell you what AGESA version you have.

bballfreak6 likes this.

12. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Thanks! I had HWInfo installed last night and didn't even realise I can see AGESA version there!

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    MSI said it's only needed for manual OC.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    MSI has been wrong so far, friend with an x570 gaming plus had to install the second eps plug so the first pci-e slot with a rx580 in it could post the machine.

15. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    I got a Crosshair VIII Hero that also includes the extra EPG plug, but I don't think my modular Corsair PSU came with that cable (RM850).

I don't think I'll have a problem without using that extra cable, but in case I do, can they be purchased separately?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the RM850 comes with 2 4+4 eps cables, so you can connect 8+8 or 8+4 headers no problems with the included

The split end connects to make 8 pins

[​IMG]

Jackalito likes this.

17. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    I have the same board but a RX570, my power supply (Corsair CX500) doesn't have 8+4 pin and everything is working just fine till now.

Loophole35 likes this.
  18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Who to believe? The manufacturer or some random dude on the internet that has an obvious axe to grind against AMD. How much does Intel and Nvidia pay you per post?

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    "Axe to grind"

Uhuh..... go away fanboy.

Guywylie likes this.
  20. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Yeah, you're right - I checked it out a few hours ago. Thanks for the heads up, anyway ;)