Destiny 2 AMD Ryzen 3000 Issues solved with chipset driver update

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 29, 2019.

1. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    ASRock today released 2 bios with Destiny 2 fix (one X570 one B450).

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    slight correction, B450M.

X570 Taichi and B450M Steel Legend.

3. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Could you anyway tell me model of that built-in wlan module? I think these freezes are somehow related to wlan module.

4. Biffo

Biffo Active Member

GPU:
    ati
    I can't get windows to boot with the 12 core ryzen. It just want's to restart and notify that there was an unexpected error. Done this with 2 new rig builds. I wish I can get Win 10 to boot properly.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Here are Production / Final quality chipset drivers provided by AMD

https://community.amd.com/external-link.jspa?url=https://download.amd.com/drivers/amd_chipset_drivers.exe

And here is there source

https://community.amd.com/community...te-5-let-s-talk-clocks-voltages-and-destiny-2

Thats a curious one Biffo, you should try exchanging your storage devices if htey happen to be brand new

Are your boards on the latest bios releases?

6. Biffo

Biffo Active Member

GPU:
    ati
    One is, one isn't I just noticed, we'll see if it makes a whole lot of diff.

7. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    It was an absurd statement and you continue to make it absurd. That's like saying, Warframe isn't popular because its free. To defend AMD and say, oh well it isn't popular, so who cares. This is not some indie game. It IS a popular game from a triple A developer. Anyone should be annoyed when a company doesn't test their stuff before it comes out and then takes THREE weeks to fix it.

And AMD's older stuff worked instead of their new stuff. Its totally ridiculous they missed this. This is why AMD continues to be made fun of when it comes to gaming. And people like you are not helping them.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Just because you like a game, doesn't make it popular. For a AAA title, the most attention Destiny 2 has got in months was it not playing properly on Ryzen 3000. That's not signs of a popular game. Warframe, to my knowledge, was always free-to-play from its release date. There's a REALLY big difference between a game that was always free-to-play vs a game that had a price tag and then became free, because nobody was playing it.
    Anyway, I didn't say this to defend AMD, but you're so caught up in your own biases that it's the only conclusion you could come up with. I don't know who at AMD pissed in your morning cereal, or, who at Intel bought you a new Ferrari, but you need to tone down the hate a notch.
    I already agreed that people should be annoyed at AMD didn't do proper testing, but you still seem to ignore this.
    Ok, now I'm going to come to AMD's defense:
    Have you ever written a program yourself? Ever noticed how for a while everything seems to work, and then for some unknown reason, a behavior you knew for a fact worked fine suddenly doesn't under very specific circumstances? It could be so rare that you aren't the one who noticed; someone else did (hence bug reports). Designing a logic circuit is analogous to this. x86 CPUs aren't simple, hence the first "C" in their CISC denomination. Both Intel and AMD have hundreds of instructions. Zen2 was a drastic enough change, with rdrand being obscure enough, that it's not really surprising that this problem happened. Is AMD at fault here for not doing rigorous testing? 100% yes. But at the same time, people make mistakes, and they're more prone to it if the mistake is obscure and rare. It's not like AMD broke this, knew about it, and hoped nobody would notice. This is why I'm not upset at Intel for their slew of security vulnerabilities - they set things up in a way that was supposed to offer better performance, and understandably, didn't realize the very specific way where that could be exploited. You don't hear me talking crap about Intel for making a much more serious mistake.

Hopefully, AMD will learn their lesson from this and create a program that actually tests each of their instructions, rather than use something like CPU-Z to prove if they just simply exist.

TL;DR:
    It was a mistake. A minor one, but still an inconvenience and an annoyance. Their solution wasn't the most ideal and it took them a while to reach it, but at least they did. It's not that big of a deal.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    AMD has known for 5 years almost that their RDRAND instruction doesn't work properly following a sleep/resume cycle, I'm sure of it.

the first instances appeared with Excavator apu's on linux htpc's.

jwb1 likes this.