What's your boot time with X470 and R5-3xxx

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Saabjock, Jul 27, 2019.

?

What's your boot time with X470 and R5-3xxx

Poll closed Aug 10, 2019.
  1. Less time

100.0%
  2. More time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    Please post your power-on to boot time with new BIOS for AM4 and Ryzen 5/7/9-3xxx.
    I w
    Please post your power-on to boot time with new BIOS for AM4 and Ryzen 5/7/9-3xxx.
    I went from a 15 seconds (power button push to Windows 10 sign in screen) to almost 4 minutes on MSI' latest.
    Having gone to BIOS version 7B79vAA on my Gaming PLus for Ryzen 5-3600X...that time is now 3:45 button push to Windows 10 login screen.
    At power button push....the cursor appears after 16 secs...at 28 secs initialization screen for add-in Marvell SATA controller card...at 1:08 ACHI notification appears under the Marvel notification....at 3:20 first BIOS screen....at 3:45 Windows 10 login screen.
    That's not acceptable by any standard.
    I've removed the SATA controller to see if that was causing the delay.
    It was not.
    The only consolation is that once booted, the system is extremely stable and quick.
    What times are you guys getting?

ent from a 15 seconds (power button push to Windows 10 sign in screen) to almost 4 minutes on MSI' latest.
    Having gone to BIOS version 7B79vAA on my Gaming PLus for Ryzen 5-3600X...that time is now 3:45 button push to Windows 10 login screen.
    At power button push....the cursor appears after 16 secs...at 28 secs initialization screen for add-in Marvell SATA controller card...at 1:08 ACHI notification appears under the Marvel notification....at 3:20 first BIOS screen....at 3:45 Windows 10 login screen.
    That's not acceptable by any standard.
    I've removed the SATA controller to see if that was causing the delay.
    It was not.
    The only consolation is that once booted, the system is extremely stable and quick.
    What times are you guys getting?

2. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    X570 invited as well.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    your post is all white.

4. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    LOL I see why you have trouble on the MSI site with text color and stuff.

You have a problem with your hardware.

Start removing everything but the boot drive and start adding in things from there.It has been months and you still not fixed it,which is crazy batshit messedup ,now really it is time to fix the problem I doubt it is the motherboard or any BIOS installed because they all work fine.Is it possible that your motherboard is messed up sure it is possible.

MSI X470 Gaming Plus New BIOS BOOT Time 7B79vAA and I am still using this BIOS with 3600X no change.Under 20 seconds

5. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    Do me a favor....hold your left mouse button down and drag over that first post.
    Tell me if you can read anything.

6. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    The issue has not been around for months.
    I encountered a bit of instability with one of the five previous non-R5-3xxx BIOS updates done since purchasing the board.
    That was resolved months ago with a simple roll back to the previous one..
    This is a completely different issue.
    It seems isolated to certain R5-3xxx hardware configurations.
    No everyone is reporting the issue...certainly you aren't.
    For some it works fine....others have reported the exact issue I'm experiencing after installing the new BIOS.
    My system...including all programs, VR, games, etc...work fine once booted up and logged into Windows.
    The reason for the poll is to see who else is experiencing the issue so I can see if there is any commonality in system layout.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well If I ever run into problems on the MSI X470 Gaming Plus I will certainly look to you for a resolution.Since it is clear that you have experience in this matter.Thanks for any future help.

8. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Assume you've tried BIOS defaults then tweaking it from there to suit your boot priority, RAM etc.

9. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    Disable CSM Support in your Bios, then it should boot normal. On my X470 it was the same when the new chips launched and the new bios came out.

10. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    That's always the first thing done by me after a BIOS update.
    In addition, the system has been shutdown and the Marvell SATA controller card cables removed along with unplugging the 24 pin power connector.
    The on-board BIOS clear has also been reset for (10 secs minimum) AFTER unplugging the power cord.
    The battery has also been removed.
    All USB devices have also been removed and a reboot tried to see if that was influencing it.
    All have had zero effect on boot times.
    I've even gone as far as purchasing a completely new USB thumb drive, formatting it and re-flashing the board with a completely new download from another computer.
    Thing is everything works great once booted...no instability at all. No outrageous temps etc...idling at between 35-14 degrees....71-73 during extreme stress testing for upwards of an hour.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019

11. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    Tried that...this morning in fact.
    System would loop right back to BIOS screen after saving settings and re-booting.
    Will not let me use UEFI.

12. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    i had this issue, i think it was related to the asmedia drivers, i left the windows default on and it was ok.

a fresh install with full snappy driver updates and i get the 4 minute boot,
    a fresh install with chipset drivers, and nvidia etc. The boot goes to a matter of seconds.

13. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    Okay, I found the issue.
    The slowdown in boot-up is being caused by the new BIOS not quickly initializing the Marvell chipset on my SY-PEX40032 SATA controller card.
    I'd previously unplugged the hard drive cables to isolate them...this time I actually pulled the card completely out.
    The system booted fully in 51 seconds.
    Things is....it's the very same card which has been plugged into that X470 board from the very first day I built the system.
    It ran great with the earlier BIOS versions and the previous R5-2600X.
    I have 5 mechanical drives, 2 SSD and a DVD-RW so I need to use a controller card.
    Guess I'll need to 'hunt' one down which is compatible.