Windows 10x64 1903 update - System keeps rebooting

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Smiley_ie, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    I found https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/125903/intel-z370-chipset It's Chipset INF Utility extracted it created a shortcut to SetupChipset.exe" and added SetupChipset.exe" -overall ran the install said it will downgrade.
    Rebooted, In device manager -System device's - Intel Series Chipset (Z370) if i check driver it say's Intel 18/07/1968 Driver 10.1.11.3 ? but will test and see if i get reboot.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  2. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    Tried Intel drivers-Gigabyte drivers and its still rebooting. Drivers 10.1.11.3 and 10.1.1.45

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I noticed in your HW setup that you have some very fast RAM installed. Are you using an XMP profile? Does the RAM also have a base profile that is slower? If so, try changing the profile to base and see if the issue goes away.

4. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    Yeah im using the XMP profile it defaults to 3600 so never checked will try other speeds, I found one guy had the same problem he tried all the fix's his turned out to be reseated CPU ? I just have done it here so will do some testing if still the same will try ram speed but worked fine @ 3600 from day one will give it ago if still rebooting.
    Cheers

UPDATE - CPU reseated = reboot
    Set Ram to 2133 - Testing

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019

5. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    @Chastity Ram @2133 = reboot
    I reset it back to XMP 3600 funny thing is I'm using PC last hour doing music and no reboot - If i edit video for a hour or run games it's fine. Seems to be left idle which goes back to Power profile also if i leave a video playing YouTube / Netflix it will reboot so i think its seen it as idle ?
    I don't think its Hardware after all the checks / Reseated & cleaned everything / Other PSU / Removed HW / Other power source / as this only started sine 1903 update.
    I think its a driver conflict since 1903 its not creating a dump file on reboot so i cant tell WTF it is.

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Do yourself a favor and go into the BIOS and reset everything to defaults, and then set it back up the way you use it. Also, check your C-State settings. I noticed before that you updated the BIOS, and I'm wondering if you cleared the CMOS / reset to defaults after flashing. (You should btw)

Also, are you doing any undervolting?

7. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    I have reset the bios 6-7 times after flashing the only thing i change is XMP profile and disable on board audio and video everything else is default as it was before and before flashing. I downloaded Easy Driver and it gave me a intel driver 09/05/2019 for SATA which is newer than the Windows / Intel / Gigabyte and Driver booster found?
    Will test it then try C-State settings again Cheers.

8. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    Most obviously this is Gigabyte bios non compatible with 1903. Sorry but i never use gigabyte mb by myself cause their very buggy products. All i had from gigabyte were problematic. And if you having your interest in PC from 90-xx you should know that early Gigabyte mb never worked correct till dozen bios were released. By the way check your mb for capacitor.

9. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    Pretty much out of options at this stage capacitors look fine no split or swollen guess i'll wait for driver updates or keep testing with drivers.
    Cheers

10. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    Ok is it Hardware or sofware bug ? I can run cinebench and get no reboots but i can reproduce the Kernel-error with Prime95.
    Sensor test in realtemp links to prome95.exe runs test gets to 81% reboots if i run prime95 and select Throughtput benckmark as soon as i hit ok = reboot.
    When i check Event viewer its the same error Kernel-Power 41 no dump file i have done this test with another PSU and get same problem so board or chip
    Funny thing is PC plays games fine & editing video I cleaned of terminal paste and reapplied to cpu temps are fine 25-28 idle.
    What you guys think ?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    ^ That looks to be the problem. So if you had no issues prior, then I would try to revert to the previous windows build (1809).

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Sounds like an issue with CPU not getting proper voltage at full load. Gigabyte is famous for iffy VRM quality. (All too often it will output higher voltage than reported, and line condition the CPU into failure) If you are undervolting the CPU, lower the undervolt. Also make sure CPU Core and CPU Cache have similar if not the same voltage settings.

13. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    @ Chastity Dropped 1.28v haven't had a reboot in about 4 hours ? will keep testing
    Cheers

14. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    If your CPU is running at stock, and you had to bump up the voltage to get the CPU stable under full load, then I suspect your CPU is getting line conditioned, and will progressively require more power in the future until it fails. (I learned about this from my own experiences, and was explained what happened by a QA motherboard tech for Asus)

If this is the case, just use what you have until it fails, RMA the CPU with Intel, and get a different motherboard from another maker. ( I suggest either MSI or Asus)

Smiley_ie likes this.
  15. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    I installed CORSAIR LINK Installer for the H115i cooler and tried settings to test it and the fans seemed to spin loudly on any setting so i got new thermal paste cleaned of CPU with rubbing alcohol reset voltage back to auto.
    Ran realtemp and CPU 24c compared to 26-28 not much but cooler and haven't had reboot so will do more testing but if it happens again i will RMA chip and board.
    Cheers much appreciated.

16. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    Ok just a update : Pc has worked since i last posted and today 2 reboots had realTemp of system idle is 23-25 just before it shutdown went to 32 ? Now if i run a game they run fine 60-70c Scum and Squad or any heavy task Video editing / Cinebench so what do you think it's CPU or MB ?

17. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    PC's fine one day, installs a major Windows update and suddenly it's a hardware issue?

I suspect a dodgy driver somewhere that's too advanced for your setup. Seen it a thousand times. I know it sucks to install older drivers but stick to the latest from your Vendor.

Driver booster (May) install some drivers that might cause compatibility issues with either 1903 or Sound drivers, Chipset drivers etc.

alanm likes this.
  18. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    I case you have a power backup device (battery pack) plugged into mains to keep system running - unplug it and see it that works.

19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    @Smiley_ie Did you ever check the output from the wall socket? Is the PC coming off a UPS, Battery side? If it's not on a UPS Battery, then perhaps your power socket has developed a marginal fault, or marginal grounding?

20. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    Hey sorry for the late reply was away i ordered Thermal Grizzly paste and using PC since yesterday and today no crash ? so far so good.
    I did try other power sources