Review: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six core processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 19, 2019.

1. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
  2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Nobody said they were. X299 and X399 are HEDT platforms, which are an entirely separate category (professional consumers, or prosumers). Z390 and X570 are consumer-class enthusiast chipsets (you don't have to be a prosumer to be an enthusiast).

3. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    But HEDT is enthusiast. Just a modern name of it. In the past they've been used as synonyms.
    https://www.intc.com/investor-relat...s-First-8-Core-Desktop-Processor/default.aspx
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)

But if you still implying, then, again, this looks even worse. Instead of bringing better performance into mainstream, old enthusiast remain enthusiast, yet newer more power products rips even more money and call, well whatever you want it to call - HEDT, prosummer, proautumn, profall or profail.

4. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070

5. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    HWUB just did a video on this very topic.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    you're gonna get it now :D

7. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Hmm, interesting, so he tested it in-game rather than running a benchmark for AC Odyssey and get better results with SMT.
    I can immediately notice a difference in the game and in the benchmark, it stutters a lot with SMT on.
    People recommend disabling SMT via process lasso, but if I do that, the game randomly stops for a few seconds.
    I guess it's not same as disabling SMT in bios.

8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    You can keep tossing that word salad but it won't help you. I am a HEDT customer myself (X399) and in no way would I call X470 or Z390 boards "mainstream" - mainstream implies that most people buy said product. Most people cannot afford these boards, nor would they need the features that they provide - they are only for high-end power users who have the money are interested in pushing their systems (in other words, they are for enthusiasts).

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Sorry bud but you don't get to state what is enthusiast and what is not. Z390 has been stated is enthusiast, as well as x370 x470 and x570. 2nd time i've had to state this, sadly.

Sorry but how can you make this statement when you don't even know the costs of the PCI-Express 4.0 implementation or the cost of the chipset? Oh wait you're coth, you do what coth does, and trolls. Again and again and again and you just continue to not get banned.

Ha!

2008 i bought a Foxconn Destroyer for $239.99, it wasn't the most expensive motherboard i could buy. Price "range" for motherboards haven't really changed over the years. Some years there's really expensive ones, some years they top out at around $300. But enthusiast, top of the line motherboards, topping out at $150? Didn't happen unless you're talking about AMD motherboards after bulldozer and before ryzen, as there were no top of the line motherboards then...so.....

And you can get x570 boards for $154.99 if you need to save a penny just to have your precious PCI-Express 4.0 you won't even use.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007625 601334781&Order=PRICE

Again, why is this guy not banned yet? He's clearly trolling, and has been since the day he got here.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    sykozis likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its people whining that rtx is expensive while being the only one with RT cores, that are the same one whining that x570 is expensive while being the only one with Gen 4 pcie

11. Megastitious

Megastitious Member

GPU:
    Above: Stock AMD cooler on the 3600X. We reach a max temp of 72 Degrees C (Tdie). That is running a 1024M Prime test.

Seriously now.If i was to install this and try to boot up my PC and then go load a torture test straight away, only a few mins later to find out that it goes up to 72c max, i would be pissed.Glad i bought some Grizzly Kryonaut paste before getting the CPU, to kick it's ***.Like i knew this would happen.That temperature is kinda unacceptable for me.It stands at the very top of "acceptable" temperatures.Like right before falling from a cliff.Did AMD REALLY needed to go that far for it?It's like they were expecting ppl who will push the CPU to it's absolute limit, to use an aftermarker cooler or paste anyway, for the most part down the line.As always thank you Hilbert for the nice review.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's a stock cooler, 72 degrees isn't bad, and have you looked at intels stock coolers?

Really confused what the "complaint" is here.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    um, yeah, the market does decide what is and isn't enthusiast.... thats how it works.

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    And he is not the market nor are you.

And reality is, the market really doesn't. The companies do for their products since it's THEIR product, and the individual does for their own interests.

Anyone can be an "enthusiast" for anything, be it a server enthusiast, HEDT enthusiast, gaming enthusiast, or quite frankly even a bare-bones bottom performance get out of it as much as you can enthusiast.

Nothing changes this, you're an "enthusiast" in whatever you want to be, but the COMPANIES get to label their products "enthusiast" grade. Whatever their metric is for their decision to label it as, is as well theirs, just as what you are an enthusiast in, is yours to decide.

If Coth wants to say he's an HEDT enthusiast, then by all means he can do that, but that's not what he's doing, he's instead stating what the companies call enthusiast and saying it isn't, and then applying a global net of what everyone else has to be interested in to be an enthusiast.

So no, again, you, him, anyone does not get to state what enthusiast is. Thats your own deal for your own person, and the companies decision to label things as enthusiast, which is THEIR product, is their own deal and decision.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    amd wasn't enthusiast for years because the market shunned it.

thats how the market works, the companies don't get to decide they are enthusiast,

16. Megastitious

Megastitious Member

GPU:
    My complaint was that it's too close to the limit of what a CPU should have.If it's higher than 75c then you need to start worrying a bit.I do acknowledge what AMD did here and for stock it's good.Also know that Intel's coolers are way worse, but sitting a few degrees lower than the "dangerous zone" is bad.Sorry for not making myself clear before.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't know why you think 75c is when you need to start worrying. Both my 4790K and 7820x ran over 75c for years with no issues and that's with liquid cooling - on the stock coolers you can find people running them at 85c. I also find it weird that 75c is when "you need to start worrying" but under a torture test this only hits 72c. The average temps in gaming will probably be far under that. Seems way better than normal for a stock cooler and that's also the conclusion most reviewers come to.

Evildead666 likes this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The Fx processors had a safe point of 65c and below, with 75c being the point your IMC began to significantly leak voltage and degrade, it seems to be carrying over to Ryzen for some reason but they are rated for 95c or something around that point

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Again, no. This is not for you to decide, nor anyone else.

If you want to call what is enthusiast for yourself, then by all means, do it, but claiming you get to decide what others are enthusiasts of, and claiming you get to decide what companies label their enthusiast products as, you must have one hell of a large ego to think you get to decide these things.

And if you continue to assert that you do get to say this information, then this conversation is over, as it's pointless to have a discussion with someone who thinks their word is all.

As long as its stable, there shouldn't be an issue. And if you want better cooling, then you can get better cooling. The reality is this "complaint" doesn't make sense because it implies that giving a cooler, that you can use, for a stable system, or not use if you want a better cooling, is somehow a bad thing?

As i said before i just don't understand really what the complaint is here. Intel doesn't provide you with a CPU cooler more often then not, and when it does, it's horribly inadequate, whereas AMD provides relatively decent cooler that will keep your system stable, and if you want better cooling, you can buy better cooling rather then be forced to have to.

To me it just seems like you expect AMD to bring an "amazing" CPU cooler as stock, undercutting CPU heatsink manufacturers which'll piss them off, and providing better cooling when it's not needed for many people.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  20. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    That's just complete bulls#!t, sorry.