Navi RDNA Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jun 11, 2019.

1. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Okay now some ugly truths about this GPU, GPU Bios and Voltage.

Since I now know what exact GDDR Chips I have
    Samsung K4Z80325BC-HC14 8 Gb 256M x 32 14.0 Gbps 16K / 32 ms 180FBGA

These are rated at a max temp of 85 degrees.

KingPin the famous overclocker who has a special 2080 TI edition with this exact same memory, recommends setting a higher vram voltage and can get +1000 Mhz on it. Our VRAM voltage is set to .850 KingPin is recommending up to 1.45 to 1.5 VDC on the Nvidia 2080TI for more vram Mhz. KingPin's Write for the 2080 TI specifacally the pointing to the GDDR6 section.
    https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#memoc

This is gonna be an issue for us with the 5700 and XT GPUS. Also note you will have higher VRAM temps if you use the Artic ACCERLERO Extreme IV since it does not make contact with the VRM or VRMS. With that said I cannot recommend using this cooler even though it fits our GPU. I did redo my gpu mod this morning and temps went down from 50 to 32 degrees idle and maxes out around 63 degrees under bench loads.

The VRAM idle is unknown at this time due to me having a monitor with a high refresh rate which locks the vram to run at max Mhz. /edit it is hitting what is considered the safe limit of this chip with this mod. The blower kept it just under the safe limit on load at 77 degrees.

Back to the voltage issue of .850 we are locked to at this time my GDDR6 VRAM maxes out at 900. Further when I go above 900 at this time I get negative performance. On the other hand if we can gain GDDR6 Vram voltage control we have a lot of unused performance left on the table.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Jackalito likes this.
  2. G13Homi

G13Homi Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    @mtrai thanks for that info. Im holding out for some waterblocks from ek or hopfully xspc. Cant wait til i see benchies from under water.

3. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    I am gonna get me one of them as well. But hell for the 6 to 8 weeks wait...it was worth the 50 USD for the Artic IV for me. Though I will need another rad for the GPU..already have a pump for it in a drawer.

4. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    You need to put that back plate in, it will help allot with the temps on the memory, also you can buy a kit to cool those vram and vrm.

I have the same cooler its a very nice one.

5. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Well that back plate also has clearance issues with my ram which I fixed my bending a few of the fins. Though it is still a work in progress trying out what works best. Might try it again...since it will be weeks before the first waterblock is out there.

6. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Mine hits the ram I have Dominators but its fine. The back plate gets really hot, so it seems it works, you can even did what I do when im doing crazy voltage 1.3v you can put a small fan on the back of the backplate and that helps

7. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Weirdly enough my issue came back, black screen and then system reboots. It seems to happen more often in BF5 and BO4, i played BF3 and FFXIV fine.

8. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
  9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

Jackalito and Maddness like this.
  10. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    The 5700Xt wil be my next card, only if I find a cheap vega at like 150 or something on ebay.

The RDNA on unreal is allot better , I play allot of ARK and the fps are just useless 40 on high/epic at 1080p on my rx480.

My Accelero is waiting

Jackalito and OnnA like this.

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    If You can invest in 5700XT, it's rDNA afterall :p
    It will get better & better in time IMhO.

Black Friday is comming ;)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  12. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Im in the UK so most of the stuff that I need or will get are not afected by Black Friday.

The only thing I was get Vega was HBCC do the rx5700 even have HBCC?

13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    No, it can't have it -> it needs High Speed Low Latency HBM for this (GDDR is just too slow).
    Im waiting for Navi w/HBM (codename Arcturus) :p

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Arcturus will be another Vega based professional not a gaming gpu. 56/64cu Navi chip is where its at and lets hope we will see it soon enough.

15. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    I always liked the idea of having a product with a new cutting edge technology like HBM, which I have had in my Fury X, and after that my Vega 56, but in practice, HBM didnt really mean much for gaming performance, or did it?

I am very happy with my 5700XT right now, blower is barely audible. I have it set at 47% max, and with my clocks set at 2000mhz with 1112mV with which the card reaches 1950mhz under gaming loads practically 100% of the time, it is not more audible than my Gigabyte Vega 56 OC, and the sound a blower produces vs the sound of a non-blower cooler is far less intrusive sound anyways IMO. I believe HBCC only benefited a hand full of games, at least on the resolution I played at, which was 2560x1080. I now have a 3440x1440 screen but I had not tinkered with HBCC on that resolution, but there are a few reviews of the HBCC technology that also showed only very few games really benefiting from HBCC, and even in those cases the benefit was practically barely noticable.

Anyone tried to OC the VRAM on their 5700(XT) and getting any substantial results? I am leaving my core clock and undervolt for what it is for now, as I am reaching 1950mhz 99% of the time now, which is already better than what the clocks of the 5700XT were predicted at at stock, but I have not yet touched the VRAM clock speed yet, as I read that not many people succeeded in this regard, only getting a very low stable OC, with no performance increase worth mentioning (which was different with Vega 56/64, where OC'ing the HBM could get you great gains in terms of performance).

OnnA likes this.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    The problem w/Mem OC in Navi is very low voltage set for GDDR6.
    You need to wait for some Tweaker to adjust V then +100MHz or more will be possible.

17. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Still the temps are to high, the limit is 90c on Gddr6 and they are always close to the limit or going over and the memory trottles down, even with a accelero on it ,they go to 84c.

We only need to wait some days to see Nitro cards and powercolor Devils.

There is also another issue, cards with samsung Gddr6 report as micron....

Something is wrong

Jackalito likes this.
  18. colinf

colinf Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 5700XT
    had my XT since day 1 very happy with it . good improvement over my 480

already ordered my ek block (shipped 29th)

19. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    I'm thinking about picking up a 5700XT. Do we know yet when board partner cards will be arriving? All I've seen so far are blowers, which I'm trying to move away from.

20. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Asus said september... Maybe we see something about the rest in August.