Got a dog!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by DerSchniffles, Jul 22, 2019.

1. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Hey guys, my lady and I just adopted a dog today! Very excited, first dog I have had since high school (over 15 years ago) and he is a beautiful beast. Not sure what kind of breed but appears to be a mix of some kind. Anyone have any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just look at that face! He is a year old with zero manners and needs a lot of training but has very good temperament- great with people and other animals. VERY active and clearly needs lots of exercise but I wanted a dog we could take out hiking and running with so he will be a very happy pup.

Clawedge, vidra, DW75 and 9 others like this.
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Good looking pup :)
    Take care of it, one step at a time.

I've been adopting a dog here for a while now. Darn thing still bites :D

airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Exciting times ahead!
    Prepare to devote a lot of time for training and to shape the relationship.
    And of course, prepare your wallet for regular vet check ups. ;)

4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Awesome! I'm not sure what kind of dog he is, but I can tell he'll be great at fetching.

airbud7 likes this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Dogs are always so :3
    Grats to you guys who got themselves a puppy lately! Wish I could do that too...

airbud7 likes this.
  6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  7. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Grats. I grew up with dogs and still have them. Hardest thing was putting down my 22yr old dog when he was just falling apart. Literally grew up with that dog. Was heartbroken.

Sorry, don't mean to be negative in anyway, but I LOVE animals and they really do become part of you and your family.

airbud7, SpajdrEX and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah I can relate. As a kid I was afraid of dogs since when I was a baby a massive black shepard dog of sorts jumped onto my caddy and threw it over, nothing serious since he probably wanted to play.
    Later on my uncle took on breeding Goldies and I grew up with Caspar, first of his 3rd generation, and learned to love doggos again. I still visit his grave in my uncle's garden whenever I visit him, in best of memories.

TaskMaster, airbud7 and SpajdrEX like this.
  9. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    looks kinda like my cousin's dog/puppy she posted on FB yesterday?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gotta Love Dogs!

DW75, JonasBeckman, Noisiv and 6 others like this.
  10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I'm no expert but maybe you wanna ask the vet about his eyes... like one is darker, and the other has more white...

I can tell he's a good boy :D

airbud7 likes this.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    YOU BETTER GIVE HIM BELLY RUBS DAILY

big ROBOT bill and airbud7 like this.
  12. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Must be David Bowie reincarnation! ;)

13. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Oh boy, he is something! Needs alot of work but honestly he is better mannered than I originally thought, and he is very smart. He just has a freak ton of energy and just wants to smell EVERYTHING. He tried peeing in the house of couple of times but has not tried taking a dump anywhere so that is good. I need to get him some toys asap, should have thought of that...my lady is already in love, he is a sweet beast. I gave him a sleeping bag to sleep on temporarily and he started chewing on the strings, nice easy way for him to choke, thats where those toys come in I suppose and hes already ripped up my cats toys so the message here is....get that boy some toys!

I made a quick video that is uploading to YouTube now and I will post it for you.

fantaskarsef and airbud7 like this.
  14. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    Woof!

Too bad I'm horribly allergic.

15. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti

Here is some Sven cuteness!

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Looks like he might have a bit of boxer in him, but fairly far down the mongrel line, good thing about mongrels is they tend to not have too much wrong with them, genes from each parent cancels out the bad genes from the breed with the problem, for example a collie might have epilepsy but cross with a lab and the lab gene replaces the epilepsy gene in the collie

Looks a lovely dog, congrats man

Oh and one tip, if they do something wrong and you don't catch them in the act, don't scold them for it as they have no idea why you're angry, they live right there in the moment

Teach him some tricks, behaviour can take some months but they al of a sudden get it, no need to hit, just raise voice to a stern level so he knows, I put mine outside for timeout if she eats the slippers or sofa :D They love company so that works well, then love them when they come in because they already forgotten what they did wrong

Plenty of toys too, they'll pick their favourite, but not those daft rubber things, they eat them and have multicolour sh*ts for weeks

big ROBOT bill and fantaskarsef like this.
  17. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Excellent advice, my gf is really big on that. I just took him out twice to pee for 10 minutes each and then we get back inside....he peed on the freaking bedroom door. I scolded him immediately and she gave me the same speech of "make sure you do it right away because otherwise they have no idea why you are upset." I agree, they may be smart but they are still just kids and squirrel!
    Thanks for the words.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea that's exactly the way, when you scold him pick him up and put him outside, he'll soon learn he doesn't get in trouble outside :)

Also with it being summer over here we can leave the back door open all day for her

And LOTS of praise and treats when he does go outside

Oh and one more thing, if he messes in the house, scrub the sh*t out of that area so it doesn't smell like his toilet, or he'll go there again

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Treats and praise for rewards, absolutely no attention for bad behaviour (unless caught in the act) ignore him and just clean up

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Was born with a dog in the house, had a dog my whole life, just lost my collie last year and got another this year, 5 weeks old due to bad breeders, that was a challenge but she's 5 months now and turning into an amazing dog