Radeon VII (Vega 7nm) - Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jan 20, 2019.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Rumor: AMD Retires the Radeon VII Less Than Five Months Into Launch

AMD has reportedly discontinued production of its flagship Radeon VII graphics card.
    According to a Cowcotland report, AMD no longer finds it viable to produce and sell the Radeon VII at prices competitive to NVIDIA's RTX 2080, especially when its latest Radeon RX 5700 XT performs within 5-12 percent of the Radeon VII at less than half its price.

AMD probably expects custom-design RX 5700 XT cards to narrow the gap even more.
    The RX 5700 XT has a much lesser BOM (bill of materials) cost compared to the Radeon VII, due to the simplicity of its ASIC, a conventional GDDR6 memory setup, and far lighter electrical requirements.

The King is dead, long live the Navi King :D

3. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Well it was bound to hapen. Navy 40 cus and with water and powertable is geting were the R7 is with less power.

Not Navi even with 64 cus will be on almost 2080ti performance lets see with powertable.

4. Turbogear

Turbogear Member Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 7900XTX Aqua
    It is little bit sad, but I think the margins were very low and Navi being close to it in performance would lead AMD to take this step. :(

Well I own one and very satisfied with it under water with EKWB block.
    As long as the drivers would be continued to be developed, I am not concerned.

5. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    How is the performance of the VII in Skyrim(SSE) with a heavy enb in highres 4K+ btw? Would the massive amount of Vidram and bandwith be usefull?

6. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Skyrim at 4K with higher resolution texture mods, or just with a demanding enb preset? I have been meaning to test Skyrim with some 8K textures to see how much VRAM it uses. :)

Embra likes this.
  7. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    /\ Both if possible :)

8. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I haven't played Skyrim in several years so I was way behind on mods and everything being new (to me) with Skyrim Special Edition.... so I installed what appeared to be the most complete 4K texture pack (couldn't find much for 8K textures), as well as a 4k texture replace for males and females. I still have to install texture replacers for armor, clothing, animals etc; so I'm sure the VRAM usage will continue to go up.

I installed Alternate Start in order to speed things up and ran from the Vigilantes of Stendar (the start I chose) to Dawnstar. The FPS didn't drop from 60 and the highest VRAM usage was 4792 mb. I'm betting I'll come close to double that with more texture replacers and a busy city like Whiterun.

9. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    From my understanding, VII was for minors and Science not for video games.

10. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    Thanks, and which res. are you playing? Can you test an enb (Rudy) for example?

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im sure rdna2 and ampere flagship cards will have more than 8gb vram but for now that seems to be enough.

Radeon 7 could have longer life due high vram/bandwidth but all depends how amd will support it with drivers. Remais to be seen.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Jackalito likes this.
  12. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    I'm running 5K and it even goes beyond 11 gig in some scenario's/games.

Undying likes this.
  13. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I'm playing at 4K resolution with full Ultra settings and TXAA enabled.

I have been installing a bunch of texture and lighting mods so I haven't been able to actually run the game for more then ~10 minutes at a time to test things. Every texture mod I have installed I have chosen the highest available textures, even if the author recommends not to. I installed this enb - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mo...ajax/modimages/?id=65584&user=1&gid=110&pUp=1
    It comes with 3 different presets, the highest one and medium one both killed my FPS (from 60 to 20) - tested in Whiterun and the pine woods North of Falkreath since those are the 2 most demanding places in my previous experience --- the lowest ENB preset ran well, stayed at 60 fps in Whiterun and dipped to 50 at the lowest in the dense woods with lots of fog etc. The low preset actually looks good to me, both of the higher ones look like crap (as does most enb in my opinion); I hate the blur and dof efffects that most have, but I did really like the "simpler" preset and will probably use that once I actually start a playthrough.

Max vram used was about 7GB; I don't know how much that might increase over time since I have not been able to play for lengthier sessions yet.

Skinner likes this.
  14. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    Thank you very much, dof and ssao are the most demanding, also lower ssao to 0,5 (source) in the SSAO/SSil settings will help.

15. Vlooi

Vlooi Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon vii
    My default core voltage differs slightly ad-hoc when I check wattman. Sometimes its 1067, then 1078 and so forth. Can different drivers influence this? I had 19.6.3, then 19.7.1 and now on 19.7.2. Also, I undervolted the gpu to 1010mv, and the core boosted to over 2000mhz during gaming, memory over 1100mhz. Does this sound correct? Everything else was kept default, no further tweaking. The card goes like a bat out of hell, very happy with it, but the differing gpu default core voltage bugs me (when Radeon settings set to default). Core temp max 81 celcius, memory max 82 celcius, hotspot 107 celcius max. This after about hour and half gaming session.

16. OVerLoRDI

OVerLoRDI Guest

Just picked up one of these on a good deal locally. I was struggling getting good usage out of my dual Vega 64s and with the Navi launch and AMD basically confirming Crossfire is dead it was time to look at a single GPU solution. EK waterblock is on its way and I look forward to pushing this card hard for 6 months to a year until "big" Navi (if it exists) comes to the table.

Embra likes this.
  17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  18. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I've been up over 10 GB of VRAM a few times now with the same settings as before. My Radeon VII cruises along with no trouble but the 8GB rx 5700 XT lags out and crashes with the same settings and saved game.

19. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Thats the reason I have been holding on the rx5700xt and having a look at ebay cheap vegas, the HBCC to go over 8g is a must have.

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV