X570 chipset fan noise?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Gromuhl'Djun, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    because when the mainboard actually has stuff running on it that chip will get hot.

derpbauer is using his stuff on an open testbench, single gpu single nvme, no other high end devices.

now put a gen 4 gpu on there and run it under high load with a few ssd's, a hdd and other devices active, such as usb drives.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, sure I understand the basic of using electricity in an IC device and the radiation of heat because it's not 100% efficient. Thank you for reminding me... :rolleyes:

Also, this would imply, that the single mainboard without a fan dies when you have PCIe Gen4 GPU, a couple of expensive SSDs, "other devices" and USB sticks connected... which I highly doubt. And even if so, why offer that many slots for such devices when the board dies when you use them? Maybe they should have introduced lower tier boards with fewer slots and no active cooling since the chipset never runs that hot then?

Oh wait, it uses more power in idle already for no apparent reason. It's just, why does it use more power in idly, with like you said, nothing to do on an open bench? THAT's what I'm asking, you might have misunderstood my intention, or question here.

And until we all have gen4 GPUs (which are technically unneccesary at this point, and non existent), a few SSDs (which also, are practically non existent and without much advantages for 95% of users), and a couple of "other devices" (like what?), and an USB drive running at the same rig, why the hell does one need that fan? And that chipset?

I'm not asking this to bash you mate, but I'm asking this myself too as to why should I live with a needless fan and a chipset I don't need?
    Why should I buy into this, since I'm trying to make a buyer's choice between Intel's lacking security and AMD's need for a mainboard fan in reality. And maybe you could help me find a solution to that dilemma, and other fellow gurus, that's why I'm posting this here.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    when the chipset has nothing really running on it, it won't heat up, but theres still goin to be power flowing through it but not across all regions (particularly unused portions).

the device still has to power up and expose a sata host, usb host, usb root ports, pci-e controller, etc.

when you have data moving through it is when it gets hot, all derpbauer has demonstrated is that for all his overclocking prowess, hes still mostly a dumbass that doesn't understand how utilisation=heat.

he probably had the nvme on the cpu... and a gpu doing light desktop work won't heat up a pch much at all.

4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    ^ Which is still "normal" usage... the average joe won't connect mroe than two or three PCIe devices, and those hardly stress the pch much at all, like you said, and wouldn't need a fan to run. Like I said, they probably could have done two mainboard versions, one with less connections (to not accidentally overstress a passively cooled chipset), and one for the more connected boards with a fan. I really hope the semi passive fan curves will become a common thing.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    we aren't going to know how hot it gets until people are actually using gen 4 devices.

6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    True, but that shouldn't matter with the right heatsink and a semi-passive mode. Which the mainboard manufacturers have obviously not thought about. But you are right.

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Just confirming that the MSI MEG Godlike is hybrid passive with the chipset fan. Have not seen it even spin but do need to test NVMe PCie Gen 4.0 SSD.

8. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Nice, seems all MSI X570's are semi-passive. Depending on the heatsink it could be pretty ok for at least a few of them.

Thanks for taking notice Hilbert!

9. Matthew817

Matthew817 Guest

I have the x570 Asrock Tiachi paired with the 3900x and it sits on my desk. I love the board but the fan wine is loud and annoying. Hopefully they make it adjustable with a bios update. I am on bios 1.4 and it doesn't allow you to adjust and the fan spins at over 6,000rpm all the time. Putting the cover on does help but it is audible and sometimes if it doesn't sit right I think it hits against the screws that hold it on so there is the bicycle playing card sound. Overall I am very happy with it ai just wish they would have spent a little more on putting a quality fan on the board.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. Matthew817

Matthew817 Guest

I have the 3900x and Trident Z Royal 3200mhz. It seems to handle the memory without any issue and far better than 1st gen ryzen. It will all core at 4.2GHz stock fan and I have dual 16GB running cl16 (32GB total)

11. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Really--I can't hear a thing--case is 24 inches from my ears with the side-panel off...;) I have the same motherboard and the chipset fan is not audible. Odd.

There's a perfectly rational explanation for reviews not mentioning chipset fan noise--noise that has been assumed to exist based solely on 1990's experiences with tiny little fans...;) If the reviewers--like me with my x570 Aorus Master--can't hear the chipset fan at all, why would they write about it? I mean, who writes things like, "I heard no noise coming from the heatsink," and so on? If I hadn't been asked about it, I wouldn't have even thought about mentioning it--there's no issue there for me.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    fry178 likes this.
  12. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Self *nuked*

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  13. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    I have a ROG Crosshair VIII Formula, the PCH fan is completely covered by the ROG 2080 ti, I can't hear it at all and it's running at 2300rpm, I'm guessing that;s because it;s starved for air, still can't hear it though.
    Oh the case is like a foot from my head too..

14. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I bought msi mpg gaming edge (cringe) wifi and the chipset fan is off when doing light work like browsing, streaming video. When gaming the fan turns on but can't be heard at all. Very pleased with it. The board is one of the cheaper ones, too.

edit

I'd like to add that the location of the fan means it doesn't get covered with the gpu.

15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Thanks for the intel.

Placing a chipset FAN underneath contemporary GPU card's length shows bad hardware design tbh. Unbelievable...

16. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    How small the fan on this board is?

What a bad idea to put mini fans on a chipset. They tend to do more noise than a bigger one. And when gets old, they will be even more noisy.

Also they run at crazy rpm.

17. disco

disco Guest

GPU:
    Palit Dual 3060Ti
    Anyone tested chipset fan on cheaper motherboards like TUF x570 or Elite X570?
    I think I will probably get x470, I hate chipset fans, last one I had was on Abit NF7-S and I replaced it with passive Zalman heatsink.

18. voldemarz

voldemarz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 ti
    In what menu is Asus an control? Cant find it.

19. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Just installed THREE SABRENT ROCKET PCI 4.0 NVMe SSDs in my MSI X570 Godlike and the little fan finally spun up for about 8 seconds then shut off and the ONLY thing I heard was the flow of air and I had to put my ear directly up to the fan. This MSI X570 GODLIKE, for all intents and purposes, is basically as quiet as a fully passive cooled board. And when the fan does blow, you need one of those Whisper 5000 devices they used to sell on TV back in the 1990's to hear anything.

At this point I think the MSI boards have excellent passive cooling and the fan is just there in case of emergenciews and for people who have three RAIDed NVMe drives with all PCIew slots being used a 3900x/3950x or absolutely zero case air flow.

Excellent job MSI.

Kaarme, Maddness and fantaskarsef like this.