RivaTuner wont open

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by fatplatypus, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatplatypus

fatplatypus Guest

I just built my first computer with a radeon 5700 xt and downloaded msi afterburner and rivatuner to monitor my fps. Msi afterburner works fine but rivatuner doesn't minimize after installing it and when I try to open it manually it asks if it can make changes to my computer, I hit yes, and nothing happens. I've tried running the program as administrator as well but the exact same thing happens. Any help would be appreciated in fixing this!

2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    IIRC, you have to be the admin. No running as one.

3. fatplatypus

fatplatypus Guest

I changed my settings and set myself as administrator, however the exact same problem still occurs sadly

4. I'm having the same problem after replacing my RX580 with a 5700XT. I've been looking all last night and this morning for someone else with the same issue and you are the first I've seen with the exact same problem on any system, so it is likely a driver issue.

5. fatplatypus

fatplatypus Guest

glad I’m not the only one I hope it just lacks support for the 5700 xt currently and not something more but I’ve even tried hard resetting my computer and wiping everything which still didn’t fix the problem. (Brand new computer and also my first one so wiping didn’t get rid of much)

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    install RTSS 7.2.2 or newer.

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It doesn’t depend on driver at all.

8. I am running Riva Tuner 7.2.2 (currently the latest_, latest Radeon Settings, Latest afterburner. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, tried older versions of all, formatted hard drive and installed a fresh Windows 10 (all of these things more than once).

Rivatuner still won't load. No error message, no crash. It shows up as an active process in task manager.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    use Resource Monitor or task manager to view the process wait chain.

10. fatplatypus

fatplatypus Guest

Ya after seeing that I’m not the only one with this exact problem I think it’s safe to assume that it is simply not supported yet for Radeon I’m not sure what to look out for in order to find out when it does become supported though

11. It's there...
    [​IMG]

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I can't view that picture on this network.

RTSS has absolutely no dependance on the gpu itself, if somethings broken its within your own pc's as Unwinder has pointed out.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  13. If I turn my computer off, put my RX580 back in and boot up, RivaTuner works normally. Replate 5700 XT, and Rivatuner hangs. That certainly seems GPU dependent to me.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    and yet

The developer would know best.

If a bug exists, its in AMD's software package, not the driver.

I asked you to the Analyse the wait chain, not find out if its in the task manager.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  15. Unwinder

DirectDraw/Direct3D8/Direct3D9 implementation is currently totally broken in AMD 19.7.1/2 drivers on NAVI cards on some setups, causing applications using such old DirectX interfaces to crash and refuse to run. RTSS won't be exception and it will also crash if you perform clean install of it during attempt to initialize and precache hooking offsets for DirectDraw/Direct3D8/Direct3D9 apps on the first application startup. You may prevent it from initializing DD/D3D8 and D3D9 hooking subsystem via editing .\ProfileTemplates\Config file and replacing

[FnOffsetCache]
    CacheInitializationFlags = 0000003F
    [FnOffsetCache64]
    CacheInitializationFlags = 0000003F

with

[FnOffsetCache]
    CacheInitializationFlags = 00000038
    [FnOffsetCache64]
    CacheInitializationFlags = 00000038

But don't forget to return it back in future when AMD fix that issue (with no doubts) in future drivers, otherwise RTSS hooking won't work in D3D8/D3D9 at all.

Edit:

Problem with malfunctioning D3D9 and older Direct3D implementations on NAVI seem to exist only when you let Radeon settings to handle driver update and installation. Manual driver cleanup, download and installation fix the issue.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    SpajdrEX and cowie like this.

16. Jackson Brunner

Jackson Brunner Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Hey, I'm not sure if you or anyone else has an issue with this, but I have a solution:
    1.- Go to Task Manager --> Details
    2.- Scroll until "RTSSHooksLoader64..." shows
    3.- Right click and go to properties
    4.- Go to the security tab and click Advanced
    5.- Under the Permissions tab, select 'add'
    6.- Click on 'Select a Principal' and click advanced once 'select user or group' window opens up
    7.- On the right side of the advanced tab, click on 'Find Now'
    8.- Scroll down 'search results' and click on 'System'
    9.- Press Ok on the rest of the open tabs and select the "Full Control" setting on the Permission Entry Window
    (Just so you're up to speed, you should only have one window open at this point (for the fix) and it should be called 'Permission Entry for "RTSSHooksLoader64"
    10.- Press Ok, exit out of the application, and startup RivaTuner through the searchbar.
    PS-
    If the application doesn't show up on the taskbar, check the icons in the bottom right corner and it should be there.
    Hope this helped :)

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    please don't do anything just suggested.

Unwinder likes this.
  18. Fuckassgamerman

Fuckassgamerman Guest

GPU:
    2060 Super
    hey king, your right on all of his steps, but that last bit at the end where you click on the arrow, then RTSS, actually fixed my problem so heads up for everyone else, it might just be that its in minimization hell like steam sometimes does

19. Unwinder

Dear 19 years old gamer from Florida. If you decide to create a fake account next time, at least do it wisely and avoid using exactly the same birth date for both. Attempts to back up your original post and making impression of discussion between two different users when in fact you post from two accounts owned by yourself is not tolerated.

blurp33 likes this.
  20. Fuckassgamerman

Fuckassgamerman Guest

GPU:
    2060 Super
    bro I don't know what you mean, as far as I know, I've never made an account on this site before, I just wanted to drop thanks for the solution that fixed my problem (albeit as simple as it is), and besides I'm not stupid enough to same post using the same birthday.

*edit, just checked that dudes birthday and your right. it is literally off from mine by a day, this looks suspicious as hell but i promise you I'm not that guy, i barely even understood the steps he had in the post, much less am confident enough to post them in a thread on a forum I've never used before

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.