What is going with GPU market?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AnnekeFloorever, Jul 2, 2019.

1. As a consumer, I’m really ticked off that Nvidia and AMD are going head to head so aggressively on GPUs.

I understand buyers remorse should not exist in the tech world but the way AMD and especially NVIDIA are releasing gpus recently is so ridiculous that it’s hard not to have buyers remorse.

Look at Nvidia, the 2080ti release was riddled with issues that eventually got fixed. It was overpriced and 2080 and below were “meh”.

Then all 2060, 2070, and 2080 owners get screwed not even a year later with SUPER release.

A 2070 Super that beats the Radeon VII (which I just bought) for 200$ less and only 5 months after that Radeon card was released.

Both 5700 and 5700XT will probably not compete with latest SUPER releases.

Is there any reason why AMD is still in the GPU market at this point if Nvidia is so aggressive against them?

Has ATI/AMD ever beaten Nvidia in history with GPUs?

I’ve never in my life seen such rapid competition it makes not want to support Nvidia OR AMD and quit out of PC Building all together.

I just don’t like feeling my money is being wasted. Like I understand a 2 year release cycle, or maybe just over a year. But these recent releases are happening every 6-8 months now.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying but each year faster cards will be released, this has always happened.
    The issue here appears to be the naming.
    ie If they named the 2070 Super the 2075, there would be far less uproar.

I agree about the pricing and poor quality of new features.
    I am still waiting for a card to replace my 1080ti that isnt a rip off.
    Neither performance or price are there yet.
    And RTX mustnt be such a poor performer for the next gen, it currently relies on having a decent 1080p display which most who will buy it have moved away from.

airbud7 and Witcher29 like this.
  3. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    Yeah, new parts are being released in rapid succession lately. But why get stressed out about this? Buy a new part, and within ~half a year something better will become available. Buy that, and another ~half a year later something even better will be available. You will never stop stressin' like that.

Yes. Around 2009 there was the unbeatable HD5870 - the fastest video card in the world. AMD didn't yet acquire ATi back then.

Before that (around 2002), there was the legendary 9700 series, also from ATi.

Anyway, I hope you can eventually find peace with your choice and get rid of your buyer's remorse. I imagine it must be a pretty unpleasant feeling.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  4. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    Hmm so the false claim that a pc gamer should update their hardware every 6 months is becoming real slowly

5. Megastitious

Megastitious Member

GPU:
    Yeah i got a 2060 2 weeks ago and i don't give a damn about whether i got screwed or not.All i know is that i upgraded from a dreadful R9 280 and AMD's mega s**t support.

Also have to agree with GPU's suddenly being released not even a year later and Nvidia screwing their RT20XX customers.This isn't phone companies that release a new phone every 6 months.They should have been able to treat their customers better and i agree on that part.Like i said...i have np problem and i don't give a damn about Super cards.It's others who will feel screwed by Nvidia and i feel bad about them.If they start planning (AMD & Nvidia) releasing new GPU's at the same rate phones being released by phone companies every 6 months, then by all means, the GPU market is gone to hell.At that point, there's no reason to even do research about anything.Just buy the latest hardware and try not to bother with anything else.If you can't do that, go on consoles.They can last for 3 years (unlike 6 months) until they go with some superior model like PS4 Pro and One X.

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    @AnnekeFloorever Hit the Radeon section here at Guru3D to learn how to properly mod and tune your RVII, and you'll be beating that 2070 Super easily.

7. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Well you can wait and "see", Intel has a new GPU coming out. Also remember AMD only AIM'S at Mid range cards, they have long sense let go of Trying to compete with Ngreedia. Ngreedia knows this and is monopolizing prices as such. You the consumer have a choice, but as with MOST Gamer/TECHS/SELF builders we want the top tier card. Ngreedia has spit in our faces, and will again prolly put the "SUPER" in a price range well above what the average techie/gamer will pay for a top end card.

8. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    i had the HD7970Ghz edition, it was a fantastic gpu and until today is still a great performer at 1080p medium settings

Cave Waverider likes this.
  9. The unpleasantness is coming from Nvidia aggressively trying to compete with AMD and making everything unaffordable.

Since when has a company released 6 SKUS of a GPU in one year in history ?!

Forget the 1600 series, but 2060, 2060SUPER, 2070, 2070 SUPER, 2080, 2080SUPER, 2080Ti.

Who does that ??

It’s like Nvidia knows it’s in trouble and trying to take AMD out.

As soon as I get my PC built with Ryzen 3000 sure. :p

I’m actually upgrading from HD7970Ghz that I’m still using until this day.

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Nvidia owner always wears same jacket and he has how many Billions of dollars I just cannot understand that! Buy a 3080ti and receive a duplicate autographed leather jacket by Whatever da fak his name is, ginseng Hulsang? I think it was? Or what abt 3080ti Etched into the back with Led lights???

11. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Competition is good for us consumers as it drives down prices and prevents a monopoly on a certain segment of the market (or all of it).

Having a plethora of GPU choices is a welcome side-effect of that competition.
    Sorry to hear that the Radeon VII purchase was a let down for you, but nobody else knew what Navi was going to be like that far back.
    It turns out rDNA was a secret sauce to getting power efficiency back on track.

The Vega architecture is power inefficient, like how Fermi was for Nvidia. It seems after the HD 7000 series, AMD started to go in the direction of being more power inefficient versus their competition (nvidia) and one of the major reasons is Tile-Based rendering that started with Nvidia's Maxwell GPU's.

12. GonTakuma

GonTakuma Guest

I went from a 970 GTX to a 2070 RTX past November.

And now they release the 2070 RTX Super, which has about 15% better performance for the same price!
    There is your buyers remorse right there.

endbase likes this.
  13. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    yeah i feel ya i had the gtx 980 and later on the gtx1060 came out which is same performance has 2gb more memory and half the cost...

14. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    No remorse here more power use I don't need tbh 15 % better performance is nice but not at the power consumption on my comp I'm happy with my normal RTX 2070 as it is :)