Intel 10th Gen Core "Comet Lake" Processor Lineup Revealed Incl. Prices and Specs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    So, finally Intel stops overcharging for HT (as if they had a choice).
    New socket, again.
    For 199USD you can have the R5 3600 equivalent, but base clock is just 3.1Ghz
    409USD for a 10 core, but only reaches 2.7Ghz base clock.
    So many SKU, guess they're binning all they can to try desperately drive the cost down.
    It's too late for me, my mind is set on AMD, but I'm exited to see these two fight!

2. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    I hope this is true. It's better to everyone.

3. DrHansGruber

DrHansGruber Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700 XT
    You make lots of good points.

4. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    Probably a fake, but very interesting if not...
    Considering they've been using 1151 for all their mainstream CPUs since 2015 i think it's actually the time to use a new one, besides AMD changed just as much in the last 10 years (HEDT platform included)

Fair points
    but
    Ryzen 3000 launch, Superb? o_O

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There is clear disconnect between having physically compatible socket and ability to mix/match CPU on it with chipset on board.

schmidtbag likes this.
  6. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    There is no competition. AMD is owning Intel, really.

So you got a Zen2 with a better IPC than Intel but you want to change your Intel for new Intel? LOL @ you

7. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    That's a different thing tho, socket is the same, you all act like intel changed 10 sockets for the last 3 generations, when in fact didn't change any, and only limited the use of some CPUs on newer motherboards. And also, again AMD has had the same amount of sockets in the last 10 years.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I was mostly thinking the same thing, prices seem pretty decent and it's nice to see Intel isn't artificially crippling things as much.
    Personally, I don't really care about the lack of PCIe 4.0. So far the downsides of it don't seem to be worth the theoretical performance.

Although HT is a nice feature, it never really deserved had the added value Intel charged for it to begin with. But after all the security vulnerabilities, HT has lost so much of its potential that Intel probably has it enabled on all chips with a lower price since there's not much of a benefit to it anymore.

Just because the physical socket is the same, that doesn't mean the signals are. Backward and forward compatibility isn't universal, which is why you see stuff like 1151v2. AMD sort-of has done the same thing with their "+" variants, but, those actually tend to head the opposite direction, where they attempt to retain some backward compatibility with CPUs.
    Anyway, if you count total amount of consumer-grade sockets (with or without the v2/+ variants), yes, AMD has had more in the past 10 years. But, the big difference is many of AMD's sockets were made in-parallel with each other. For example, AMD was releasing products for AM1, FM2+, and AM3+ at the same time. Intel's HEDT sockets tend to last a very long time, so, every time they released a new socket, it was a replacement to an older one.
    What all of this means is even though AMD has more sockets, Intel users are expected to upgrade both their motherboard and CPU more often (and in the case of 1151v2, it was artificial). That's what people are griping about.

Ricardo likes this.
  9. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    If thats true that would be huge. With all the IO options these days, a wider connetion from the chipset to the CPU is going to be good.

Interestingly, it does say "On-Package PCH", so maybe they are moving the chipset onto the chip itself for better signaling, using their new packaging technologies.

Obviously this would be entirely incompatible with everything else.

But the block diagramm looks like its from a mobile product, not a desktop. So we'll see.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  10. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Thats certainly true, but if they can get a good average frequency bump out of this generaiton, then it still works for now. They already have new Microarchitecture ready with a healthy performance increase, there are just manufacturing problems that make it hard to launch.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Take it with a lot of NaCl+
    But sometimes it's necessary to have and adversary.
    Too much, too many times Intel mocked us with 4c/4t for a lot of money.
    Thanks AMD, I'm going your way.

12. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    The sheer fact that this chart packs intel's whole lineup, and the fact that even discloses all core turbo frequencies (which goes against intel's last two releases) is a huge RED FLAG.

As for 495 Chipset, please, have a look at this image from the 9th gen press release:

[​IMG]

Now let's take a look at the so called leaked 495 chipset:

[​IMG]

Doesn't the leak look a tad fake? The USB ports have gone backwards, with 3.1 Gen 2 disappearing.

Don't get me wrong, competition is good and all, and intel will release their 10th gen Core series processors at some point. It's just that this leak is fake, at least IMHO.

Mesab67 and oxidized like this.
  13. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    The fact they were releasing products for 3 different sockets in parallel doesn't change the fact they had the same amount or more, besides products on AM1 FM2+ and AM3+ were all mainstream, some where APU, and some weren't but all mainstream products, and no workstation products, so it's actually even worse, because if you want to get something more powerful that happened to be on a different sockets (since they had sockets for low end products and for more powerful, but yet mainstream products), you had to swap everything just because of that. I think complaining about sockets it's one of the most stupid excuse AMD fans like to use honestly, this really shows how many, even here on these forums which are supposed to be for savvy people, is actually parroting much they hear, simply because they don't know better. 1151v2 was just one time this happened, seriously people, if you want to criticize intel, there are so many other reasonable ways.

14. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn I am sorry but even videocardz have said this is a fake image.
    If Intel cannot verify it, then maybe put it down? Last time checked guru3d was of higher standards than wccftech.

And is red flag automatically because Intel never ever uses the + symbol on the lithography process, let alone been possible to get 105W TDP on 4.6 10 core CPU on 14nm process.

Ricardo and oxidized like this.
  15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The physical socket is not the important thing here. Z370 may have the same physical socket as Z270 but they do not support the same CPUs - as far as compatibility is concerned, they might as well be considered different sockets.

Dazz and Fox2232 like this.

16. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    Fair, but it happened once only, and AMD has had the same amount in the same amount of time while probably having much less products, but everyone keep acting like intel launched triple the amount of sockets AMD has. Anyway i don't really want to prolong this OT.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What it is good for to have same socket for 20 years if you can't use new CPU with older board or vice versa? There should be at least some years of support.
    (Intel got back on track only recently, to change socket. And that's still DDR4 if slides are accurate. Which means yet another socket/boards for DDR5 after this.)
    I am sure you do not want to prolong this OT since "happened once only".
    Since Core release - Desktops only:
    1156 - 1st gen
    1155 - 2nd/3rd gen (Sandy Ivy)
    1150 - 4th (Haswell)
    1151 Arrangement A - 6th/7th Generation (Skylake/Kaby)
    1151 Arrangemetn B - 8th/9th (Coffee/Coffee)

AMD has many sockets over past 10 years. Sure, but how many on desktop? I think you do not want to bring here Pro sockets and servers. You really don't.
    AM2=AM2+ => DDR2 (AM3 processors work on AM2+ motherboards due to the presence of both the DDR2 and DDR3 memory controllers on the processor.)
    AM3=AM3+ => DDR3
    AM4 => DDR4

You may want to add low end & low cost platform in form of FM2=FM2+.

Apparently, intel needed to change those sockets for good reason. Like adding or removing so many pins. Or there was aesthetic need to move pin by one space in matrix of pins.

AMD did minimum number of jumps required due to use of newer memory type (different number of traces=pins). And even then went extra mile to allow people to use older board with newer chip.
    FM2 is simply different platform as is embedded, notebook, server, ...
    And with AM4, AMD did their best to actually merge low end platform on same socket as mainstream and high end. (That's why APUs have fewer PCIe lanes as they are basically FM2 replacement.)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    oxidized likes this.
  18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I already added a disclaimer as to it could be a fake slide as it all indeed seems a little far-fetched. Dunno, as mentioned in the post the source is computerbase, and I have them in high regard.

fantaskarsef and airbud7 like this.
  19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Again, you're missing the point: the problem isn't the amount of sockets, the problem is when/what you are required to upgrade when new products are released. Again, those 3 AMD sockets I mentioned were all in-production at the same time, and they each targeted a different market. Each of them lasted for a long time and had a very wide range of supported products spanning multiple years (well, not so much AM1). If you chose one socket, it's because you didn't care about the other(s). So for example if you had an AM3 CPU+mobo and saw the release of FM2+, you wouldn't care about switching to that because that was a different target market. Meanwhile, you could get an AM3+ mobo while keeping your current CPU if you really wanted to, and upgrade the CPU later.
    Compare that to Intel where they had 1 socket that catered to the same markets that AM1, FM#, and AM3(+). On the surface, that sounds real nice - it's "one size fits all", except when Intel pulls something like 1151v2, which was proven to artificially cripple backward compatibility.
    That is what people are griping about. Nobody cares about a new socket when it's actually necessary. For example, [most] people didn't really have much of a problem going from 1150 to 1151 because there was actually something different.

Dazz likes this.
  20. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    I agree with everything, but it's actually very few people complaining about that ONLY, i keep reading wherever i go "durrr another new socket?!?!?!?!?" Also people don't upgrade CPUs only that frequently, i mean pick me, i'll need to change no matter what brand or CPU i choose in the end, so using that excuse so much? Truth is what i was talking about earlier and that only. Besides are we 100% certain that di** move they did with 1151 wasn't necessary.

Agreed, but it's not what happened cmon, it's only one damn socket...Seriously guys.