Review: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X & Ryzen 9 3900X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2019.

1. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Most companies also exclusively buy intel anyway where i live it's the case. I don't think i ever saw an AMD cpu installed in a business workstation.

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    3700x. Same core/thread count as 3800x. Thats the main thing. Sure, 300mhz less base clock (100mhz less boost/turbo) but at 35w less and probably a little cooler. The frequency diff will make virtually no perceivable difference for me. Those on 1080p might appreciate the extra few mhz.

Frankly, I'm not even upgrading for perf, 7700k serving me well as is. Just have this longing for a new alternate platform to Intel, and to no longer be pestered by microcode updates that shave off a little perf here and there every time. Gaming-wise, it will do nothing for me. Unpacking RARs, occasional (rare) vid encoding tasks will probably the only thing I might appreciate perf-wise.

airbud7, Embra, Denial and 1 other person like this.
  3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I really wish my company would invest in some AMD hardware. I have a workstation system at home with a 16c/32t CPU and 32 GB of RAM while my work system is a 4c/8t system with 16 GB (used to be 8). Then again, it's not just CPUs where we're woefully behind - we're still using 720p monitors. I suppose it's okay for accountants and HR people, but I'm a developer - it's amazing that I can get any work done at all!

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Can someone ban this guy already? His posts are garbage and I'm tired of reading them.

Mesab67, Venix, Embra and 7 others like this.

5. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    We have three 1080p monitors at my company with a ssd at every workstation. But we are stuck with core i5. They are not bad but they are certainly not great for productivity.

D3M1G0D likes this.
  6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I’m using two 1080p monitors and a optiplex 7010 haswell i5 PC for my terminal. Mostly use chrome, ADP/CDK and edge/MPI. The processor is fine for this but I wish we had more RAM. I’d like 16GB but had to beg to gets second 4GB stick. Had to show the IT guy how slow the PC got with just my main work programs up and using chrome to open the parts catalog.

airbud7, D3M1G0D and Denial like this.
  7. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    We upgraded to 8gb maybe 2 years ago and man 4gb is brutal. It makes the workstation pretty much unusable at time.

Loophole35 likes this.
  8. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Only way they are getting a new wave of cpus that are not incremental upgrades out this year is it was already mostly done and they were waiting to be forced to release it.

9. Tarkan2467

Tarkan2467 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    I really enjoy it. It's not the same amount of difference as going from 60Hz to 120Hz, but the difference is there. Obviously it's not possible to see the individual frames, but there's a substantial increase in smoothness and responsiveness, which is especially noticeable in FPS games. I would actually say you feel it (e.g. with mouse aim) more than you see it.

Past a certain point, the visual difference does basically become imperceptible — to my eyes, at least. If I have the monitor running at 240Hz, I can easily eyeball the difference between 60 FPS and 120 FPS. Usually, I can see the difference between 120 FPS and 240 FPS too, but not always. That being said, you can easily feel it in the mouse aim (faster feedback from the screen).

200 FPS vs. 240 FPS, though? Not really. Diminishing returns do play a major factor.

A buddy of mine has a 1440p 165Hz monitor and swears by it. I love the monitor I have, but I think I'd be perfectly happy with that monitor too. So it depends on what you want.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's the funny thing there. Person with 3700X can just test stable voltage for few clocks and set those into Custom P-States.
    Because I did not like PBO voltages with new BIOS, I did set up P-states.

Now I have All cores clock at 4.125GHz (still on 2700X) and CPU downclocks to 2.2GHz when not under load.

From my point of view difference between 3700X and 3800X is ability to check how given CPU works and manual settings in BIOS.
    Other thing is binning. There's good chance that 3800X will in case of manual settings behave better. But I still do not feel like that performance difference is worth that kind of price difference.
    Looking at price jump between 3700X and 3800X makes actually 3900X look very attractive as one gets full 50% total CPU performance for similar price jump.

Loophole35 likes this.

11. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Ok seriously what's with all this speculative forward looking with intel 10th gen and zen 3 for performance and features. Did no one here learn lessons about predicting the future from back to the future 2?

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not think that most of those are intel's "employees". But surely many who got in recent years quite expensive 4C/8T which is relatively good at gaming are subconsciously not very happy seeing similarly priced chips with double total performance.
    Or much cheaper chips which are still 50% stronger.

AMD's mainstream solution, since Zen1, is 6C/12T. And as they improved clock and IPC over iterations, those are quite lovely CPUs.

That's why you get those arguments about tiny fps potential difference at top end where most of given people do not even have screen that can display such frame rate.
    Even with Zen+, one could say that difference was large enough for competitive fps gamer to consider costly intel's chip over alternative.
    But now, one can at most hurt himself. Entry level gamer with 144Hz screen can get 3600 and use saved up money for better GPU.
    People who do a lot with computer can get 3700X and again get better components around.
    And insanity of 3900X/3950X with 12C/24T or 16C/32T which almost none of us would expect to be available on AM4...

If CPU business was directed by intel, we would have around 6C/12T marked as i9 for $500. And that's what gets on people's nerves... the speed at which AMD increases core count and performance makes their chips rapidly "morally" obsolete. (They still have as good gaming chips as before release of Zen2, but they feel that huge difference.)

13. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  14. Intel doesn't need to enlist employees to do propaganda for them when hyperbolic/misinformed users are already hard at it. This isn't some Cambridge Analytica grade stuff /S -seriously

HitokiriX likes this.
  15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    While I tend to agree, that's why I've added him to my ignore list. Usually just leaves a few half posts behind, which are people actually argueing with him. Just don't click on "show ignored content" :D

So are there any x570 in depth mainboard reviews out yet? Especially, ones from inside a case? So that we know how loud the chipset fan really is, and how often it kicks in?

airbud7 likes this.
  16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    It's amazing how "Show Ignored Content" always disappoints and triggers me. Thank you for a kind reminder @fantaskarsef :)

airbud7, Loophole35 and fantaskarsef like this.

17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    hmmm all those that claim that 9900k is the cpu for hard core gamers .... doesn't this mean that the new 5700xt is THE competitive gamer gpu if the anti-lag feature works ? after you lower everything to the lowest and you get 500 +++++ fps on cs:go and the short even if you compare it to a 2080ti the ms shaved from antilag the 10~ish msecond adds vastly better responsiveness than the extra fps ...
    So here is my question ! All those hardcore competitive gamers that are here praising the 9900k's gaming performance ... why are not on the 5700xt thread praising the 5700xt for the most hardcore competitive gamer feature of 2019 ? i wonder ! :p

((assuming it works as advertised i have no idea if it does ))

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Mesab67, moo100times and Fox2232 like this.
  18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    This only in-depth one I can find: https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/gigabyte_x570_aorus_master_review/1
    Not to keen on being an early x570 adopter, prefer to wait a while more till the boards are a bit mature.

Mesab67, Venix, Fox2232 and 1 other person like this.
  19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
  20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    We finally got SSDs last year. I think they may have cheaped out on them though as several of them broke down (including mine) and had to be replaced. This was after months of begging for them of course. Also had to beg for more memory since 8 GB was simply not cutting it (I would spend a good chunk of the day waiting for things to load while the memory usage was pegged at 95%). What I want now are 1080p (or higher) monitors and an 8-core CPU - I'll probably finally get them when Lisa Su takes the stage to present the new 32-core Ryzen 5000 series. :p

21. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Our work notebooks are OK for what we do. Intel's 4C/8T are not strong, but I do software development. M.2 does the job for responsiveness. But I would appreciate 3rd screen. Having 4 virtual desktops each having both screens separate gets me only that far. All the work is done on servers anyway for me.
    (Only thing I dislike on latest X1 Yoga is that intel's CPU has HW bug in iGPU that causes hard freeze or failure to wake up around once every 14 days. Intel has always trouble with power management, my older '5th gen' mobile chips from intel had similar freezing issues requiring limiting max cstate as fix.)