Review: AMD Radeon RX 5700 and 5700 XT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2019.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I got it for about $430 so I didn't think at the time it was a bad deal, I didn't care about RTX I just wanted something that ran cooler with didn't break the bank on power for every day usage.

airbud7, pharma and Loophole35 like this.
  2. Dwarden

Dwarden Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2048MB
    question, what's reason there aren't any Vulkan titles tested ?

e.g.
    Strange Brigade has Vulkan and DX12
    X4
    Dota 2 has Vulkan support
    Rage 2
    Ashes of Singularity has DX11, DX12 and Vulkan
    Doom has OpenGL and Vulkan

and many more https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)#Games

it would be actually nice to have compare of how the card handle each API

Richard Nutman and HitokiriX like this.
  3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I liked the 2060 over the 2070 because it could nip the heals of the 2070 when OCed for $150 less. But as a whole I could not recommend any of the RTX cards. I still am apprehensive about recommending the super versions even now with Ampere on the horizon and "big" Navi rumored.

4. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    The problem of RTX always has been the price. They are nice cards but with the amount of RTX games on the market it's hard to justify the big premium asked. I mean the 2060 launched at almost the same price as the 1070 launched and while it was performing better considering the 1070 was over 2 years old it did not look good at all. Had the 2060 launched at 1060 price + inflation and the 2070 at 1070 price + inflation these would have been perfectly fine cards and well worth the price asked.

5. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I totally agree about the RTX cards - if they weren't overpriced things would be a whole lot different and people like me/the mass public wouldn't be complaining about them. They had the financial muscle to take a pricing hit on this series but they chose not to.

It's an utterly bizarre situation - many owners in that traditional higher end 1080/Ti/equivalent group still not spending their upgrade money. No stats needed for that. Definitely a missed opportunity, now perhaps twice.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  6. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Well if you got a 1080 Ti no reason to upgrade to anything other than a 2080 Ti. And at this point since the 1080 Ti is still a perfectly fine card it's probably better to wait for the 2nd generation of ray tracing cards to have something more future proof.

I think i've seen the 1080 Ti still beating the 2070 super in some bench. That's impressive considering the 1080 Ti is more than 2 years old. If you got a 1080 Ti it's probably better to just wait the next gen cards in 2020 and just skip this gen.

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Only in DX12. Vulcan/OpenGL/DX11 are a completely different story. There the 5700XT bounces between 1070 and 1080 performance (which isn’t bad mind you). The 5700XT just needs a better cooler and proper OC support.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    amd's opengl driver is still garbage grade, they have a higher overall cpu requirement, and looking at the colour bug and other continuing issues, the RTX is a superior buy.

especially Titan XP performance at 499 usd from a 2070 super.

you seem to be shilling those radeons heavily though, even at the cut prices the overall feature capability is lesser than the equivalently priced Geforce card.

Witcher29 likes this.
  9. Exige245

Exige245 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    I assume you meant 2070* and 2080*

Undying likes this.
  10. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Will wait for next cards, but i think Nvidia will be the choice because it will bring second gen RTX vs first gen AMD.
    Still not sure if this will hapend, if not AMD may be a good choice.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Didn't read the whole thread, only the review:

Way to go AMD. Now make a true high end GPU that beats the 2080TI or any following Nvidia product please and I'd be tempted to go red.
    These cards seriously take the Super out of anything Nvidia has in that price range right now.

airbud7 likes this.
  12. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    It might be worth noting that the messed up colors isn't an issue specific to Navi either, plenty of Polaris and Vega owners getting that - myself included.

It is, as you noted, thankfully not a huge issue (though annoying, as the off-white color I'm getting makes it difficult to find the solution - opening the Display settings) and as it's a general driver issue I'd expect it to get fixed.
    +1 for Sapphire. :)

It's hard to say about initial releases but generally, at least for my market, Sapphire's Pulse line of cards (assuming they're sticking with that naming scheme for their base tier) tend to be very favorably priced compared to reference designs.

SpajdrEX likes this.
  13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    None of the GPU prices are good right now. Navi still isn’t great with that garbage cooler on it.

Sorry I meant 2070s and 1080. There are a few games that 5700XT is 10% or more behind the 1080ti in DX11. Not saying the Navi is a bad card for what it's worth but its not equal to the 1080ti (just like the 2070s is not equal to the 1080ti).

Hilbert's 1080ti is also a FE not a custom cooled. Most custom cooled have higher average boost clocks and can hold them unlike the FE. So effectively the vast majority of 1080ti's are 3-5% on average faster than what is shown in Hilbert's review. (think of Hilbert's 1080ti results as the floor)

14. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    They claim this is their GPU Zen, as in "wait for better down the line".
    I personally doubt the radeon division has enough leftover talent to pull something like that off but at least the XT is a better product at the same price as the 2060 super.
    So at least that's something..

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Cooling is weak, but may have some uses. On other hand, this time around, AIBs will have opportunity to deliver wide range of OC cards. And competing while doing so... better prices, higher performance.
    Yeah, since all the mouth-runners are gone before they even had opportunity to touch Navi...
    Surely, nobody important who worked on Navi is missing.

But maybe you have list of people and proof of their contribution.

moo100times and Loophole35 like this.

16. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    2070S now looks overpriced compared to the 5700xt by about £100 as they are going for about £490 and 5700xt at about £390, or so. However we don't know how much aib coolers will add.

I will wait to see how those are priced, plus driver releases, overclocking /bios details and finally price changes from Nvidia side before making a decision.

17. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Glad to see that the "double post" infraction rule has been lifted as of this thread...;) One less thing to worry about...!

18. JulianBr

JulianBr Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Thanks for all these reviews lately! I
    actually sold my RTX 2080 Ti right before the launch of Navi and RTX Super. Bought it on launch for 1300$ and sold it now for 1000$.

Those dollars just got me an 3800x, 32GB 3200Mhz, ASUS ROG Strix X570-E and an Corsair H115i Pro AIO.

Now I just need a new GPU, and I really like what AMD is doing here. Just have to wait for all the reviews of the AIBs for both RTX 2070 Super and RX 5700 XT before I decide. Would be nice with a full AMD rig.

airbud7, Embra and Jagman like this.
  19. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    The RTX 2070 Super and RX 5700 XT The DX12: 3DMark Time Spy shows quite a big gap, considering they are quite equal I not understand , can someone explain

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The way TimeSpy uses the DX12 API favors Nvida. Nothing more to it.

ladcrooks likes this.