Review: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X & Ryzen 9 3900X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2019.

1. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    I agree with most of this. Except, the previous chipsets were known with having issues. Heck, even X570 has issues right now. Hardware wise the new X570 boards are impressive, but its extremely annoying every release has issues. And issues will remain, just like before, I suspect.

The previous poster can call me an Intel employee all he wants. But I do welcome competition. And I want a return of the days where one company has the lead and the other takes it back and vice versa. But because AMD has returned stronger than before, they and the mobo/retailers are taking advantage of this and its rather hypocritical to see people defend AMD products that are now MORE expensive than Intel counterparts. Or where before, gaming didn't matter much on the AMD side, as it was "good enough", now they get even closer and all a sudden "it matters more".

2. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    A significant factor you're missing about current consoles being 8 core, is that there was zero analog to the Console APIs on the PC side to utilize those threads in gaming. They came out in 2013, a year before mantle, 2 before DX12 and 3 before Vulkan. DX11 MT was/is always garbage compared to those. DX12 (or close variant) is basically going to be at the heart of the next XBOX from day one. The PS5's API will likely be similar to if not exactly Vulkan, which was built in part from the work AMD put in to Mantle.

3. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Indeed, current console have been 8 core for a while, and where is the progress? It is a terrible assumption that consoles control the future of how many threads games will be. NEVER buy a CPU with more cores thinking a switch will flip and games will need them now. By that time, you would probably have already upgraded.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's a possibility, and something i really WANT to happen, more games utilizing more cores can only benefit everyone. I just don't hold any hope to it.

5. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Remember, there are still the forthcoming Intel price cuts. There is no way Intel keeps the pricing the way it is.

6. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    If anyone knows a web site that did comprehensive 4K 3900x Benchmarks, please drop a link in PM [if you post it here it will be auto edited i think]
    ESPECIALLY if the benchmarks have 0.1% and 1%.

P.S. What happens right now is that I have 9900K, 3900x wins in work tasks but so far in gaming and Guru3d tested up to 1400p, 9900K is unbeatable, even 7700K was beating 3900x in some games.
    But I game at 4K ONLY, so if 0.1 and 1% are equal between 3900x and 9900k ill bite.
    Been thinking of waiting for 3950x and disabling hyper-threading, 16 real cores are more then enough, based on benchmarks, with HT disband 3900x gains tons of FPS in games it was dipping, like 20, 30+ fps

7. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    How is it a terrible assumption, when A) the vast majority of games are developed for console first and B) the cores have to be utilized to get the most out of them since they'll likely be clocked lower to accommodate power/thermal constraints of a console. I say this a person that cares more about functionally PC exclusive games like simulators.Which are continually hampered by poor single threaded coding. I am not the norm. The norm plays console ports. Dice paved the way with the Frostbite engine scaling with more threads, and even more games/engine began to follow suit, especially as they began becoming more comfortable. Four thread CPUs start to choke no matter how high they clock. More core utilization is literally the only way forward, and it's not just about accelerating single tasks. The real magic is that more cores/threads means your entire machine doesn't have to be absorbed by a single intensive task. You say 6 cores is enough for you doing Plex + Handbrake, fine if want handbrake to basically cripple your computer from doing anything else while its working. Unless of course you wanna cripple handbrake. However once you have the cores, RAM, and storage IO you stop having to compromise. Spend 800-1500 dollars on a device meant to enhance muilti-tasking to do one thing at a time. Anyone that cares literally about gaming only should save money and just get a console. The games they most likely want to play are timed exclusives with months before PC release anyway.

8. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Handbrake will cripple your computer regardless 6, 8, or 12 core. I render 2 films HEVC when I'm at work, and 1 during the night when I sleep. Handbrake never gets in the way. And Plex easily runs in the background with no issues playing games or anything else.

9. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    I was reading some posts about i9-9900k prices. I couldn't get a 3700x or a 3800x from all the retailers. I really couldn't wait any longer to build a new rig with my wifes down (MB out x58). So I pulled the trigger on a i9-9900k. In all honestly I think I got a fair deal today.Microcenter has them for 449.99. Instead of driving 11/2 hours to microcenter I went to frys. They matched the price. To make a long story short, I wentt to pay for it a the register (frys keeps them in a vault). The lady ran my card, and then went to grab the cpu. She came back like 10 mins later and said were out of them. I blew a gasket after all the time farting around I did. I was pissed when she said we have one in Dallas! After getting the manager (he has no ass left LOL), he agreed to ship it to the store and gave me a decent discount for my troubles. The price was dropped to 429.99. So in all honestly I do believe I got a fair deal.

oxidized likes this.
  10. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    I assume that was US, yeah it's a good price!

11. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    I plex as well, as I use my PC as a DVR. You do it that way in part because you literally have to. Handbrake only cripples the computer by default if you let take it all the CPU threads. Are you familiar with CPU Affinity? It's obviously way faster with more cores (you're fine with 6), but you could give it only half of a 12 thread CPU and actually have it continue to do work while you game or do other work with the other half. By even mentioning handbrake, which you also seem to know scales with threads, you obviously have a use case for more threads yet still go "nah". Heck you could literally run 2 6 core instances and do double the videos in the same amount of time. The point at which a given application stops scaling means you'll have resources left over for other tasks.

12. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Just wait a couple of weeks. I remember getting my 1800x for a pretty good price couple of weeks after launch.

13. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    Please don't feed the troll.

I think I agree with Hilbert in his conclusion about overclocking. These chips have become so smart it's almost pointless. Unless there are AGESA problems AMD have managed to get them running so close to their peak it's not funny.

Really wanting to see some 3800x reviews now.

14. Tarkan2467

Tarkan2467 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    I did the same last night and bought a 9900K. My gaming PC was struck by lightning Wednesday night (it was time to upgrade it anyway) and I couldn't wait for Ryzen to be in wider stock — or for any anticipated price cuts from Intel.

I do feel like I'm missing out in a certain sense, because I recognize what AMD is bringing to the table with these new processors. But at the same time, I'm one of the high refresh rate people (1080p 240Hz monitor) and I care about maximum performance when it comes to gaming, even if the difference is slight.

Obviously, it depends on the game — but in general, getting a PC to push enough FPS to maximize the benefits of a 240Hz monitor is hard. Most of the games I play are very competitive in nature, but not extremely GPU-demanding (again, partially due to 1080p). My PC was CPU-capped in all of them.

At the end of the day, the truth is that if I didn't game, I wouldn't have a PC. My decision is not something I'd recommend to most people. But it's the right decision for me, right now. We'll see what happens with Ryzen in a couple years.

Robbo9999 and Fox2232 like this.
  15. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    How is gaming at 240Hz? I've never personally seen a monitor like that in action. I settled for 3440x1440 ultrawide@120Hz for my needs, but was always curious how those ultra high refresh monitors looked. Is there a certain frame rate where you just don't see a difference, or is it really noticeable for you up to the peak? Is it more of an input/reaction lag thing for pure competitiveness? Really interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

16. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Please don't edit my quotes, it looks like I've written it, when in actual fact you're just inserting stuff into my quote that I didn't say - don't do that, bad forum practice at a minimum.
    For any games that aren't competitive online multiplayer fps games you don't really need anything beyond 100fps, because 100fps looks pretty smooth on the eye. Where you do need higher fps and higher Hz is in those competitive online multiplayer shooters - when you're in close quarter combat and you need to suddenly & quickly pan the camera to lock onto him as he's moving around himself too - it's in those situations that your eyes & brain need as much possible information as possible, and at higher fps and higher Hz the image is clearer and you also receive more information to your eyes on which to base decisions (more snapshots of game reality coming to your eyes, with less empty uncaptured useless space between each snapshot, more game reality captured if you like, the ideal would be a continuous flow of reality like we experience in real life rather than a series of still frames joined together). Blur Busters is a website which really goes to town on the science behind high refresh rate gaming and it's an excellent read as well as a useful practical resource for high refresh rate gaming (https://www.blurbusters.com/), and they scientifically conclude that there will be benefits for us all the way up to 1000Hz screens in terms of moving image clarity. There are diminishing returns in terms of what is easily noticeable as you go further up the fps scale, but I noticed a massive difference in both my play and "what was possible" when I moved from 78Hz to 144Hz, and now I use my 144Hz monitor overclocked to 180Hz, and I feel that this is noticeable in close quarter combat feel & success. So yes, the higher the better, all the way up to 1000Hz according to the science (but we're obviously not anywhere near 1000Hz in terms of current technology, I think 240Hz is the highest you can buy, I'd like one although that's not really that far of my 180Hz, so probably not worth it).

You talk about graphics power required. Well at the moment I'm playing BF1 with an overclocked GTX 1070 & overclocked 6700K - you need to turn down graphics details to achieve close to a stable 177fps (always limit framerate about 3fps lower on a G-sync screen, significantly less input lag - as proven on Blur Busters website). It's not bad though, I run BF1 maxed out at 1080p except for no AA, Lighting Medium, Post Processing Medium - still looks great, but quite stable at 177fps with some dips here & there. You'll want your RAM overclocked too and with as low a latency as possible, as RAM starts to have more of an effect for high fps gaming and of course the most suitable CPU for it - which is what got us talking about this subject - ideally overclocked 9700K or 9900K rather than these Ryzens.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    bballfreak6 likes this.
  17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Smoother. More motion you have, higher the perceivable difference. But that's just actively comprehensible difference.
    Difference on passive level is higher and works wonders for fps games.

18. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Gonna reiterate this point. Don't care about intel price cuts in view of their Swiss cheese security approach. Too many failures for too long, serious letdown, they will have to really put out something new and impressive to redeem themselves, not peddle the same junk masquerading as new tech.

Aura89 and Vlooi like this.
  19. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I see the Intel paymasters have been hard at work over the last hours. In the face of so much overwhelming evidence in just a short time, it must be very difficult to argue when you're so very, very wrong.
    AMD will be pleased at just how much they're about to change the landscape. Everyone, is going to be pleased.

20. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Yea that's fair. As I said up to this point I've no experience with high refresh rate gaming so I can't honestly comment on what it'd feel like above the paltry 60fps I am playing with. If you're someone that can tell the difference above whatever Ryzen is able to provide and you can afford it then yea for sure the 9900K is definitely the way to go.

Robbo9999 likes this.