Ryzen Threadripper 2920X Plummets in price 1 day after Ryzen 9 3900X release

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
  3. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    I hate graphs that don't start at 0. Gives a visually misleading indication of the actual saving.

GSDragoon and anticupidon like this.
  4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It was never free so that's probably why.

5. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Threadripper 2920 was an awful processor. The grief I got from mine has put me off AMD big time. During gaming even when paired with a RTX2080Ti and 64gb RAM I got huge micro stutter and crashes. With audio, I got tons of snap crackle and pop. DPC latency was through the roof. I ended up returning the TR 2920 along with my Asrock tai chi mobo. Swapped them for an Intel i7 9800X cpu and a EVGA X299 mobo. Paired those up with my 64gb ram and same rtx2080ti and now everything runs perfectly. No stutters, crashes or sound distortions.

6. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    It was never intended as a gaming PC processor. It had a BIOS mode to switch but was always going to be bad. For content creation, video etc it was great. For balance I had to build a i7-9800 system with dual boot NVME drives (Windows, Linux) and it was a complete PITA. Windows was fine but Linux was a nightmare getting it running.

schmidtbag, Mesab67 and BReal85 like this.
  7. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    2920X for gaming. + 8 vs 12 cores for work. LOL @ you. BTW, did you use game mode as suggested by Guru3D? They didn't have stutters, so it was your problem. And that's why you didn't chose AMD again... :D Da Intel troll.

8. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Not trolling. I'm open minded when it comes to brands usually but this experience jaded me, personally. And yes I tried game mode and it didn't help the problem.

In hindsight, it may have been the Asrock mobo causing the problems, not the cpu. But I'm just glad I got rid of both coz now I have a stable working rig that runs buttery smooth in games.

airbud7 likes this.
  9. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I'm not sure but this sounds very, very odd. the RTX2080Ti + 64GB RAM is a pretty darn expensive duo to pair with a 2920 - a processor that, as mentioned above, was never, ever intended as a high end gaming cpu. This imbalance seems waay off, and I'd also suggest a little bit of Intel trolling??

On topic, I do like these price cuts. Will also be darn interesting to see what the 3950x does in comparison to the previous TR's, and see how TR3 is coming along. Good times!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  10. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    He's reporting a credible on-topic experience with TR. It isn't trolling and you shouldn't throw that word around.

Signed: AMD Fanboy

airbud7 and MegaFalloutFan like this.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Sounds a lot more like it considering the fact that it's verifiable that what you experienced is not the norm. Easily sounds like you had a hardware issue somewhere, and to blame the CPU as a whole, or the company as a whole, for something that may not have even been their fault, or was a defective CPU which can happen with Intel ofcourse as well, is not exactly making you sound "unbaised".

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I guess AMD realizes they're never going to get rid of that old stock now that the 3000 series is overall a better option. At this point, the only people who would seek the 2920X are those who want the extra memory bandwidth and PCIe lanes.

Meanwhile... the 1920X.... that's pretty damn cheap.

13. ah yes, a CPU with the name "THREADRIPPER" imprinted in GTA style lettering advertised with the phrase "The 12-Core Heavy Metal Hero for Creators Who Game" was never ever intended for gaming according to people on the internet
    https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2920x

Why is it like this

MegaFalloutFan and RavenMaster like this.
  14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Being able to game, and being meant for gaming are entirely different things.

For instance, you could if you really wanted to, game on a 72 core, 288 thread xeon phi. It would not be a good experience, but you could do it if you so wanted.

And your link, did you even read it?

"The Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 2920X is the processor of choice when you need to game, stream and create at the same time."

The threadripper CPUs were never advertised as gaming CPU, they were advertised as an all-in-one machine that you can game on if you wanted as it has enough performance for games to be playable, while doing more with the PC, at the same time, or just so you don't have to have multiple setups. This is still true.

But again, that doesn't make the threadrippers a CPU AIMED at gaming, and yes, you will find people that state it was "never intended for gaming", and that's still true, as it's not intended for pure gaming, even the first quote stated: "It was never intended as a gaming PC processor." And the 2nd quote you stated: "a processor that, as mentioned above, was never, ever intended as a high end gaming cpu. "

All of that is not incorrect.

But your implication that it is indeed a CPU that was meant to be a gaming CPU, is very much incorrect.

Nice first post btw, quality poster i see.

15. I'm not sure which part of your brain has to be consumed by worms for you to want to take a companies advertising statements which clearly are aimed at a gaming/streaming audience and project your own belief on them by misconstruing the particulars of the wording

When Intel advertises an i7 they don't even say "this is for gaming"
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/core-vpro/i7-8700.html
    Intels product page is so devoid of mentioning anything about gaming that when you compare the two it makes the 2920X product page look like a Babbages

Like, you're seriously dissecting that one statement "you need to game stream and create at the same time" so wait, if I were to take that statement literally, are you trying to imply that the CPU is better at gaming when it's doing other things at the same time? Cus I would imagine we both know that isn't how it works

If you come back and try to tell me this CPU isn't marketed to gamers when it's product page contains more gaming references than the entirety Intels website I'm not going to reply and if you're an example of the type of people who post here why would I waste my time coming back? You can't even read a sentence without trying to impose your own beliefs, rarely do you see someone so wrong being so arrogant

airbud7 likes this.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Hello intel, creating more accounts, yet again. So many new accounts on the ignore list.

17. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Wish I lived near a Mirco Center. These are priced at $299.

And yes, I use me PC for gaming and productivity. :)

airbud7, Aura89 and jura11 like this.
  18. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Cheapest 2920x I can find for £360 over here in UK which is not bad price, I have been set to switch to Ryzen 3900X but what puts me off for now availability of motherboard with 10 SATA ports and at least 5 PCI_E slots and preferably EATX board as well

For £275 can have Gigabyte Designare EX X399 which offers that and can reuse my RAM although they're only 2133MHz which I assume would bottleneck CPU

X570 boards there are few which I like just PCI_E slot count is just not enough and 3900X seems is bit better than 2920x

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Embra likes this.
  19. I am not shilling for Intel by pointing out to you what it looks like when the manufacturer doesn't actually advertise their product for gaming, it's really simple, the product page isn't covered in the words "gaming" and "streaming"

Whereas the AMD product, which you claim AMD never meant for gaming, is covered in the words "gaming" and "streaming"

According to you, It's up to the consumer to read the AMD product page and interpret for themselves that despite AMD telling them the chip is for gaming at every possible opportunity, it is not in fact for gaming

Again, why is it like this

MegaFalloutFan likes this.
  20. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I've highlighted things a bit differently above.
    "Why is it like this?" I'd politely suggest getting a bit more acquainted with the Threadripper series, particularly the many reviews. I'd suggest our very own guru3d review here: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_threadripper_2920x_review,29.html. Pay attention to that page. I'd also suggest reading the posts above fully..."never intended as a high end gaming cpu".
    Now, once you've had a chance to check out some reviews do get back with something a bit more balanced. There's nothing wrong using a threadripper for gaming, but if you are primarily a gamer, perhaps(!!) you shouldn't be buying a threadripper in the first place?

Do note that with the, by now, well documented many advances of Zen2 - advantages over Intel - any future Threadripper will most certainly carry some interesting review amendments.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019